PDA

View Full Version : 60% vs. 65% beads, I'd like to hear some opinions from both sides

JJG
10-11-2012, 03:11 PM
Hi Everybody,

I've decided that it's time to get some good quality beads, due to recent poor luck using 70% PG Gel.

I have used pg gel for years, and normally just drybox whatever I plan to smoke for a day or two. Recently though, I noticed that if I don't let my cigars dry out a bit before smoking, they suffer from burn problems, tight draws, and generally the flavors seem a little muted.

Looking on Heartfelt's site, they offer both 60 and 65% beads. I would like to hear some opinions from fans of both types, as to why you prefer one or the other before I make a decision.

Cheers

-Jeff G.

:chr

pektel
10-11-2012, 03:19 PM
I prefer my smokes right between there. If I were storing in something VERY sealed, like tupperware, I'd opt for the 60%. I use 65% beads in my wineador/humi.

I guess its all about where you like your cigars. I don't mess with anything if the hygrometer doesn't dip below 60%, and I enjoy how my cigars smoke. Actually, I haven't used a hygro in quite some time, as I let my cigars be the determining factor on if I need to look at humidity levels. I personally use HCM beads, and I've come to trust them more than I trust a hygro.

TJarv
10-11-2012, 03:20 PM
I have 65% in my wineador

joeobx
10-11-2012, 03:25 PM
I prefer my smokes right between there. If I were storing in something VERY sealed, like tupperware, I'd opt for the 60%. I use 65% beads in my wineador/humi.

I guess its all about where you like your cigars. I don't mess with anything if the hygrometer doesn't dip below 60%, and I enjoy how my cigars smoke.

Same here, I think mine leaks a little and I do go in the drawer a lot so my 65% hovers around 60 most of the time.

JJG
10-11-2012, 03:38 PM
I guess I should mention this is for several small tupperdors holding 50 cigars or so each. Leakage is not an issue, and neither is long-term storage. I am more of a smoker than a collector, so most likely everything in the humi now will be gone within 3 years.

jjirons69
10-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Got 65% heartfelt. They run about 63% in the cooler and 65% in the humi. I'm happy.

SvilleKid
10-11-2012, 04:02 PM
Got 65% heartfelt. They run about 63% in the cooler and 65% in the humi. I'm happy.

This pretty much is my experience too.

bobarian
10-11-2012, 04:41 PM
Is there a poll? :sh

TJarv
10-11-2012, 05:06 PM
I guess I should mention this is for several small tupperdors holding 50 cigars or so each. Leakage is not an issue, and neither is long-term storage. I am more of a smoker than a collector, so most likely everything in the humi now will be gone within 3 years.

I would go for 60 then buts that's just my :2

mahtofire14
10-11-2012, 05:53 PM
I prefer 65% beads but mostly because that's what I've always used. Never had any problems with the beads, or with burn issues with my cigars.

Malakai
10-11-2012, 06:23 PM
I use the 65% HF beads in both my humi and wineador and have no issues

bobarian
10-11-2012, 07:07 PM
I would go for 60 then buts that's just my :2

Please expand. Is this based upon personal experience? What type of storage are you using?

CigarNut
10-11-2012, 08:47 PM
You can get Shilala beads at 65% and always adjust them up or down to suit your preferences. Just my :2

stearns
10-11-2012, 09:27 PM
You can get Shilala beads at 65% and always adjust them up or down to suit your preferences. Just my :2

exactly :tu to be honest i have no idea which rh my shilala beads are, but i know that i can keep my vino right between 62 and 63 with careful, yet minimal maintenance

JJG
10-12-2012, 08:23 AM

oh wow, these look like the way to go.

Because I'm in Houston, where the humidity stays well above 70% for most of the year, my main concern is cigars actually retaining too much moisture, not drying out.

It is my understanding that PG gel may not be very effective at pulling excess moisture from the air inside the humi, which is what I think I need most.

Subvet642
10-12-2012, 08:36 AM
I prefer my smokes right between there. If I were storing in something VERY sealed, like tupperware, I'd opt for the 60%. I use 65% beads in my wineador/humi...

I use Heartfelt 65% in my desktop and a 65% Boveda pack in my tupperdor, but I think I'll follow Peter's advice about 60% beads in the tupperdor.

ucla695
10-12-2012, 08:47 AM
I use 65% HF beads in my cabinet. If I were in the market for some new ones, I'd get Shilala's because they are adjustable. Sure beats having to get different ones, if what you buy doesn't work the way you want.

jjmitchem
10-12-2012, 10:00 AM
I have used both the heartfelt and Shiala's beads in harsh environments (desert)

I prefer Shiala's Beads - less Maintainance and they seemed more stable. And then back in Hawaii where the humidity is higher year round, Shiala's Beads keeps my humi lower where it needs to be.

Just my opinion :2

lenguamor
10-12-2012, 11:46 AM
What I've found, moving (literally) from one end of the country to the other, is that it depends on where you live. Ask local BOTLs how they prefer theirs.

Regardless, I've always liked 60% for older stock and long-term aging, and 65% or even 70% for smoking stock. But I found that when I moved to Miami, the 70% worked much better. Probably has to do with year-round air conditioning and its drying effect, as opposed to Seattle, where I had no A/C.

dozer
10-13-2012, 03:10 PM
I have 70's and am at 65-66 steadily...

oooo35980
10-13-2012, 04:40 PM
I prefer between 65 and 70, I found that some sticks I smoke, especially the "budget" sticks, lose alot when the humidity dips too low. My humidor stays around 68 which causes no problems for any of the sticks in my humidor.

Kevin(n)tn
10-13-2012, 07:45 PM
Could you not add half a pound of 60% beads with the jar? That's what I use. 4oz Xikar jar and 8 oz of 60% beads. Works fine for me. Or am I wrong?

milhouse
10-16-2012, 07:36 PM
Could you not add half a pound of 60% beads with the jar? That's what I use. 4oz Xikar jar and 8 oz of 60% beads. Works fine for me. Or am I wrong?

i personally would not mix beads and a jar... xikar jars are at 70 percent, so your beads technically will get over hydrated. they are working against eachother... if they were both rated to the same rh, I would say fine, but even then, I would just add more beads if I needed some extra help.:2

TJtorpedo
10-17-2012, 06:41 PM
What I've found, moving (literally) from one end of the country to the other, is that it depends on where you live. Ask local BOTLs how they prefer theirs.

Regardless, I've always liked 60% for older stock and long-term aging, and 65% or even 70% for smoking stock. But I found that when I moved to Miami, the 70% worked much better. Probably has to do with year-round air conditioning and its drying effect, as opposed to Seattle, where I had no A/C.

This is a very good point. I would definitely take the local climate into consideration. I had the same experience from when I lived in South Florida to now here in Virginia.

Garbandz
10-17-2012, 06:45 PM
A tupperware is a sealed environment,you can change the RH by adding a few sticks.

I would monitor the RH before adding any beads,and adjust gradually as needed.

Also, temp changes will APPARENTLY change the indicated RH,so use 70 degrees as a reference point.