PDA

View Full Version : Do you freeze your cigars?

Sonic04GT
10-03-2012, 09:38 AM
Just curious what the general consensus is. Temperatures can get into the upper 70s-80 here in S. Fla so I freeze everything if it is going to enter the humidor. It seems like such an inconvenience, especially if it's only one cigar, but it's worth it I guess.

Just a general poll, nothing fancy, unless you feel inclined to elaborate.

LostAbbott
10-03-2012, 09:40 AM
I live in the PNW so my basement never sees above 70 and is typically locked it at 60 all year round. So I do not freeze anything. I try to keep an eye out for mold as a good deep freeze can kill a lot of spores, but bugs are never a problem.

Justinphilly
10-03-2012, 09:42 AM
I never had a reason to freeze, but I guess that's a good thing.

Sonic04GT
10-03-2012, 09:42 AM
I live in the PNW so my basement never sees above 70 and is typically locked it at 60 all year round. So I do not freeze anything. I try to keep an eye out for mold as a good deep freeze can kill a lot of spores, but bugs are never a problem.

Lucky. I have one room in the house (guest room downstairs) that maintains cooler than 75 degrees. It's normally around 80 upstairs, which doesn't bother me as far as comfortability, but it sucks not being able to store my humidors on display on my desk upstairs.

14holestogie
10-03-2012, 09:43 AM
I never had a reason to freeze, but I guess that's a good thing.

But when you do, then you will. :2 :D

Justinphilly
10-03-2012, 09:47 AM
But when you do, then you will. :2 :D

I can't argue with that statement. But, I'm not sure I don't know when freezing would be needed with my cigars. I guess if they took awhile in transit, or if I saw or noticed a beetle issue??

14holestogie
10-03-2012, 09:50 AM
I can't argue with that statement. But, I'm not sure I don't know when freezing would be needed with my cigars. I guess if they took awhile in transit, or if I saw or noticed a beetle issue??

This is usually the reason. I freeze, even though my sticks are all stored in the basement around 60 degrees. I've seen the damage those little bastages can do and take a pro-active stance.

jjirons69
10-03-2012, 10:24 AM
Deep freeze -10F for minimum 48 hours regardless of number or where they come from. I don't use cool storage and the room my cooler/humidors are in is on the SW side of the house, so it can get to 75F in the summer. Had a few creatures in the past, won't again.

Brlesq
10-03-2012, 11:10 AM
Deep freeze -10F for minimum 48 hours regardless of number or where they come from. I don't use cool storage...

I don't have cool storage either, and this is my practice as well (no matter where or whom they came from). Those little buggers could be there from as far back as the the factory. I've got too much invested in my collection to risk it. Have had friends with beetles, and its an expensive disaster waiting to happen. Fortunately I've never had an outbreak (knock on wood) so the slight inconvenience is worth it.

bobarian
10-03-2012, 11:49 AM
I use a lighter.

icehog3
10-03-2012, 12:23 PM
I did for a while, but haven't frozen anything for years. Keep my house at 71-72* tops, and have never had an issue.

CigarNut
10-03-2012, 12:27 PM
I did for a while, but haven't frozen anything for years. Keep my house at 71-72* tops, and have never had an issue.
:tpd:

Apoco
10-03-2012, 12:43 PM
I freeze everything that enters my house - regardless of where they come from.

I recently moved into a condo that is single story. I like keeping my energy bill low - so this summer has been a bit warmer in my condo. No worries about beetles for me :tu
Posted via Mobile Device

srduggins
10-03-2012, 01:21 PM
I found a beetle hole in one stick that was in the wine frig. When I noticed two more in another stick about 6 months later, everything got frozen. Unless I'm planning on smoking it within a month or two, everything that comes in gets frozen. I have a separate humi for those short-timers. No beetle holes since, except for one tubo that may have been impacted prior to freezing.

joeobx
10-03-2012, 01:55 PM
I freeze everthing. Better safe than sorry.

RevSmoke
10-03-2012, 02:19 PM
I have been freezing every cigar I receive upon arrival at my home for the last 25+ years. I had beetles once, never had them since then. I keep them in a cool place, but they may have hatched before I get them. If they travel in for two or more days and the temp is above 75, there is always a possibility that they could hatch enroute and then appear after that.

I take no chances.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

68TriShield
10-03-2012, 02:24 PM

Same except I only froze maybe three shipments a few years ago.

NeonNut
10-03-2012, 07:28 PM
my bed room gets hot in the summer, but i try too keep mu humi at 75 deg. give or take 5 deg, and at 75% humidity

pnoon
10-03-2012, 07:54 PM
my bed room gets hot in the summer, but i try too keep mu humi at 75 deg. give or take 5 deg, and at 75% humidity

75% RH is way too wet.

SvilleKid
10-03-2012, 08:58 PM
75% RH is way too wet.

Troublemaker!!! :r :banger

pnoon
10-03-2012, 09:19 PM
Troublemaker!!! :r :banger

How so, Cliff? :sh

SvilleKid
10-03-2012, 09:23 PM
How so, Cliff? :sh

LOL! messing with you, Peter. I figure anytime someone throws out a temp or a humidity number, then we will see at least 15 or 20 different numbers thrown about.

On a serious note, I too agree that 75% is too high (Now I'm probably a trouble maker too!!):D

pnoon
10-03-2012, 09:25 PM
LOL! messing with you, Peter. I figure anytime someone throws out a temp or a humidity number, then we will see at least 15 or 20 different numbers thrown about.

On a serious note, I too agree that 75% is too high (Now I'm probably a trouble maker too!!):D

You're right about the various preferences. I was just trying to help.
And you did a wonderful job busting my stones. :tg

SvilleKid
10-03-2012, 09:29 PM
You're right about the various preferences. I was just trying to help.
And you did a wonderful job busting my stones. :tg

I only jumped in and made a post so I could see how my new avatar looked. I really don't care about humidity. I usually just hang a piece of paper towel in the humidor. If it flaps freely when I open the door, it's too dry inside. If it is dripping water, then it's too wet. It's worked so far!! ;)

MarkinAZ
10-03-2012, 09:30 PM
bishes... I was just :dr again at Cliffs avatar pic;)

Lucky_Hippo
10-05-2012, 12:27 PM
I've never froze cigars but have read lots of post on both sides. I've luckly never had a bug problem myself (knock on cedar) but I guess after an attack I'd probably change routes and start freezing incomming sticks.

Lucky

shilala
10-05-2012, 01:36 PM
My basement is 63* year round, I can't find a reason to bother.

dubleuhb
10-14-2012, 09:31 PM
Never froze any cigars. Mine are stored in the basement where it gets about 68 max in the summer and will slowly fall to maybe 58 at the lowest by mid winter.
Cigars on deck are in the den, gets warm in the summer but in the 12 years I have lived here never had a problem, could be I'm lucky, dunno.

Wharf Rat
10-15-2012, 05:55 PM
As a point of reference, I once got a tour of JR's main distribution warehouse (Burlington, NC). They have a walkin freezer large enough to wheel a pallet into. But, it's not even close to be able to handle their volume. They said they rely on their vendors to deliver beetle free cigars. The freezer is for cigars outside of their normal sources, such as a closeout.

The only time I had beetle trouble was when I bought some sticks from a roller in Ybor City. But since then I freeze everything...

JenksAnejo
10-15-2012, 06:07 PM

Do you ever have problems with your cigars going out?

Retiredguy
10-18-2012, 08:54 AM
I have nothing against freezing, but so far I haven't had the need to do it. Knock on wood.

gorob23
10-18-2012, 09:16 AM

we may need heat that up in January...

Rob ;s

icehog3
10-18-2012, 11:21 AM
we may need heat that up in January...

Rob ;s

I have lots of sweatshirts for you, I must not overheat my babies! ;s :lr