PDA

View Full Version : Well, this is prolly the end...

boonedoggle
10-01-2012, 07:22 AM
In 2004, I began my quest to begin collecting premium cigars from around the world. Since that time, I've gotten divorced and have retired from the Air Force. Searching for work, just trying to feel around in the dark basically, I've grown out of the love I used to have for the premium rolled leaf. The Asylum, and previous boards were my obsession. It really bums me out, but I've just lost my passion to learn about, and try each and every one of Rocky Patel's cigars, around 24 a year (lol), and so forth.

Thus I have this huge treasure trove of cigars that I have to do something with! Eventually, I want to get down to maybe a desk top humidor for only very special cigars and special occasions! :D

Finally, I want to thank all my friends and extended family I met, and tried to keep in touch with through the years. It was certainly a unique and awesome part of my life. But, as with all things, the page must be turned and a new chapter begin. Thanks guys! :)

Blak Smyth
10-01-2012, 07:25 AM
I too have given up chasing HTFs and new releases but I imagine cigar smoking will always be a part of my life. There is nothing as relaxing and mind clearing as enjoying a good cigar. Cigars are a very important part of my life. Good luck with your future endeavors. Make sure you don't unload to much, you may regret it later on down the road.

kelmac07
10-01-2012, 08:06 AM
I feel you on searching for HTFs, limited releases, etc. I still go after a few brands (Viaje) now and again. Like Shane said, hoping you don't sell everything off in hindsight and rediscover your love of the leaf later on down the road. Best of luck in your new interests.

longknocker
10-01-2012, 08:17 AM
GL, Jimmy. Hang In There, Brother!:tu

hotreds
10-01-2012, 08:47 AM
Best wishes, thank-you for your service!

irratebass
10-01-2012, 08:52 AM
Jimmy, cigars will ALWAYS be around, like the majority has already said, don't sell too much of your stash, and maybe ust take a break from it and don't worry about HTF or LE's and stick with your regulars.

Good luck

cmitch
10-01-2012, 09:00 AM
I'm in a similar draught and it's getting better BUT winter is setting in, so it's probably going to get much worse for me. Hang in there.

Blak Smyth
10-01-2012, 09:03 AM
Best wishes, thank-you for your service!

:tu Thank you for your service indeed!

smokin5
10-01-2012, 09:18 AM
We will miss you 'round here.
Good luck wherever your road leads you.

czerbe
10-01-2012, 09:33 AM
Enjoy what you can out of them I have found to make sure they are a hobby and for enjoyment not for Stress of collecting.

squishy
10-01-2012, 10:48 AM
You never know the "bug" my bite again one day!!!! Hope all the best for you in your en devours my friend

maninblack
10-01-2012, 11:11 AM
Thanks for your service and like the others said, keep some of them just in case you wanna revisit the hobby.

cjhalbrooks
10-01-2012, 11:19 AM
Thank you for sharing your experience with newer smokers. If you truly stop with this addiction. Know that you have friends here if you ever need anything.

Ogre
10-01-2012, 12:59 PM
Just remember Jimmy, you have another family here. Hope your happiness for the stick returns.

SvilleKid
10-01-2012, 01:44 PM
I hate to hear of the negative changes in your life, Jimmy. Hopefully, things will turn and stay on the upswing soon. I hate to see a fellow lover of "those sticks from Charleston" (you know the shop!) getting rid of his stash. I'm with those advising you NOT to get rid of too many of your cigars too soon! There will always be a market out there for them, so ease into letting some go, but use some to sit on a river bank somewhere, and just smoke one while letting the clouds pass by!

Stay strong, and don't disappear from CA. We are here to help if we can.

area51
10-01-2012, 01:57 PM
I go through this at least once a year. Take a step back for a little. The leaf will have it's way with you again.

N2 GOLD
10-01-2012, 03:44 PM
Hey Jimmy, I hear you on chasing the premium rolled leaf & new or limited lines... but, dont quit I think you should take a break... IMHO :ss

Bax
10-01-2012, 03:52 PM
Just hold on to them, one day you'll be back and kicking yourself you let them all go:D

JJG
10-01-2012, 07:55 PM
Just hold on to them, one day you'll be back and kicking yourself you let them all go:D

I agree with this guy. Just b/c you don't have the passion right now, doesn't mean you won't ever again. I hadnt smoked or bought anything in over a year due to the birth of my son. I didn't post here, or smoke a single cigar, just too busy. Now that things have settled down, I'm getting the cigar bug again. I bought like 40 cigars last week and smoked 5 or 6 over the weekend.

You never know how life will change!

omowasu
10-01-2012, 08:08 PM
Totally agree with everyones sentiments, if you have great cigars, put them away in a cooler and let them age for a while - see if they spark your interest in the future. And if they do, you will have a very nice aged stock to go to!

Ive gone through the same phases with cigars. I always enjoy a good stick and find them to be very relaxing. At the same time, life changes, things get busy and smoking time can be hard to come by. Its tough for me in the winter too (although this winter will be better with a heated cigar room attached to the house!)... and our wonderful government has not made it any easier. The days of a couple beers and a cigar at the bar after work are gone for most of us. Makes me long to go back to Las Vegas....

You can always go the "smoke less, smoke better" route. Enjoy fewer smokes and enjoy premiums and rarities, and avoid the 20-release lines that all taste the same (usually mediocre at best).

elderboy02
10-01-2012, 09:47 PM
Good luck. I have always considered you to be a great BOTL :tu

mfarre03
10-01-2012, 10:32 PM
Not going to hurt you to just sit on these for awhile, you never know, you may just get bit again. Thank you for your service, sorry to hear about your D, I know how much that sucks no matter the outcome.

ColdCuts
10-01-2012, 10:47 PM
As a guy who's just returned to the hobby after roughly three years away, I have to chime in with the previous posters. I'm happy I held on to -- and unwittingly aged -- a number of good cigars. Like omowasu said, "Smoke less, smoke better." That's my new philosophy. Good luck to you. :)

boonedoggle
10-12-2012, 03:49 PM
Thanks for all the tips and well-wishes! :)

SmokeyJoe
10-12-2012, 04:37 PM
Hey Jimmy... blessings on you in your new stage of life. You were one of the first BOTL I noticed over at CS back in 2006. I still hope to have a cigar with you some day. Take care!

Cville Cigar
10-13-2012, 06:51 AM
Best wishes to your in this stage of your life. Take some time off and hope to see ya' back.