PDA

View Full Version : Personal experience with TSA and Cigars?

BHalbrooks
09-11-2012, 08:32 PM
Well, in October my Wife and I are flying home. I obviously can't be inconvienced enough to leave me sticks at home :)

Does anyone have any experience with TSA and Cigars? I read that it's better to put them in your checked luggage. I googled it, but didn't see anything current, and TSA seems to change their minds on everything constantly.

I did search TSA.gov, and they gave a vague approval as if it were a magazine.

Help is appreciated.

kelmac07
09-11-2012, 08:34 PM
Carry them on Brian. DO NOT CHECK THEM!!! :2

BHalbrooks
09-11-2012, 08:35 PM
When I was playing competitive Paintball it wasn't unheard of for TSA to steal Paintball Guns, whether they cost $100, or $2,000... So that was running through my mind.

Hot damn, that was a fast answer. No wonder you're a keeper of the ring now :r

pnoon
09-11-2012, 08:36 PM
You read wrong. Whoever suggested that is misinformed.

Carry your cigars on board with you.

BHalbrooks
09-11-2012, 08:41 PM
I'm assuming that they'd obviously XRay my bag and see a ton of sticks that might look like Dynamite ( :rolleyes: ) or something and want to take a look, but as long as they wouldn't keep them.

Ogre
09-11-2012, 08:41 PM
Just leave the lighter at home.

big pete
09-11-2012, 08:43 PM
And put the cutter in check-ins

pnoon
09-11-2012, 08:44 PM
I'm assuming that they'd obviously XRay my bag and see a ton of sticks that might look like Dynamite.

No.

BHalbrooks
09-11-2012, 08:46 PM
Just leave the lighter at home.
Yea, I read that consistently. My brother and dad smoke, so a lighter isn't needed anyways.
And put the cutter in check-ins
Yes sir, read that consistently as well :)
No.
Just saying, TSA never has ceased to amaze me :r

pnoon
09-11-2012, 08:48 PM
Just saying, TSA never has ceased to amaze me :r

TSA is as likely to think your cigars are dynamite as they are to think their your dildos.

BHalbrooks
09-11-2012, 08:51 PM
Oh... Should I put those in my Carry on as well? :r

EricF
09-11-2012, 08:51 PM
If your using a Herfador, make sure you can get it open once you land as they will develop a vacuum and will be difficult to open if you don't have a pressure release valve built in.

DaBear
09-11-2012, 09:11 PM
If your using a Herfador, make sure you can get it open once you land as they will develop a vacuum and will be difficult to open if you don't have a pressure release valve built in.

A screw driver or a sturdy knife has always done the trick for me in this case. And I haven't always needed to do so.

ArgusP2
09-11-2012, 09:55 PM
Oh... Should I put those in my Carry on as well? :r
and now, I need to get a new screen. :r:r

A screw driver or a sturdy knife has always done the trick for me in this case. And I haven't always needed to do so.

Do you put that on your check in or carry on?

icehog3
09-11-2012, 09:59 PM
I've probably flown 20+ times (I know, not a lot for some of you) with my Haliburton and my Otterbox loaded with dozens of banded Cuban cigars. They have opened the Haliburton twice, and one time asked (in curiousity, not accusingly) if the Cigars were Cuban. "Yeah, right....I wish" I responded. ;)

I would never put my cigars in a checked bag. :2

cmitch
09-11-2012, 10:00 PM
One of the funniest moments at the Nashville airport is when a business associate of mine got strip searched because he forgot he had a corkscrew in his carry on. :r

Boz
09-11-2012, 10:20 PM
One of the funniest moments at the Nashville airport is when a business associate of mine got strip searched because he forgot he had a corkscrew in his carry on. :r

:r I've walked right through all the way to the gate before I remembered I had a knife in my pocket. Not a word was said about it.

I've flown with my 40 count in a carry on bag and it went right through the scanners without a problem :tu

Mattso3000
09-11-2012, 10:24 PM
Yup, I always just put the case in my carry-on and keep it with me. Never had any questions asked. For that matter, I usually bring a lighter as well and never had a problem with that either.

Boz
09-11-2012, 10:28 PM
I've also thrown some ronsons in a couple of these before and stuck them in my checked baggage and they went through no problem. They claim to be approved for airline travel.

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=M-CLUTB114099N&cat=13

DaBear
09-11-2012, 10:35 PM
Do you put that on your check in or carry on?

Its fairly easy to stop by a gas station or somewhere to borrow something to pry one open. Heck, I have a bottle opener on my keyring that does the trick. Plus, you can check a small pocket knife, as I've done many times.

I've made it through every flight I've had since I got started smoking cigars with a torch in my checked bag, and even with a can of butane one time. Only time my bag was opened was when I came back from Florida recently with a bottle of bourbon and 15 bottles of beer.

MarkinAZ
09-11-2012, 10:36 PM
In August, I flew from Burbank to Yuma via Phoenix on business for a week. Then, returned Yuma to Burbank again via Phoenix. In both instances, I had packed my small herf box in my check-in bag. The Palio and PB207 were packed in my shaving kit which was also packed in my check-in.

Everything made it to Yuma. On completion of the return trip back home, I opened my check-in bag and noticed a small leaflet placed inside, that indicated my bag had undergone a random inspection by TSA in Yuma. All cigars, Palio, and PB207 were accounted for...:tu

Weelok
09-12-2012, 12:05 AM
My experience is cigars are fine checked or carried but good idea to pack them in some bubble wrap but your choice.

Matches need to be in carry on. I've had matches confiscated twice in checked luggage and the rules say they will take them in checked but your ok to bring them as carry on. Go figure?

Cutters I'd put in checked to be safe.

Forget lighters but they will allow BICs as carry on. No jet lighters.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#9

They are a less rabid these days but as in all cases TSA is free to use random logic and once they confiscate something just smile and move on. Arguing wont get your items back and just make you frustrated.

Have a safe trip :)

N2 GOLD
09-12-2012, 12:13 AM
Carry on DO NOT check in.... -(P

Only check in your lighter & cutters...

mariogolbee
09-12-2012, 12:46 AM
I flew with my cigars at the beginning of the summer. I brought a five count Cigar Caddy (filled), a five-pack of Origen Originals, a cheap steel cutter, and a Bic. I packed them all in my carry-on. The guy doing the x-ray did stop and look a little more closely at my stuff and then asked me if I had a torch or soft flame for my sticks. No biggie.

Barcode
09-12-2012, 01:41 AM
I had them ask me to open my Pelican case so they could see what my cigar stand was. While it was open she did a quick swab rub to make sure there was no explosive residue on the case. But other than that no problems and I always carry on and I usually have a print out of the TSA rules in the case. :)

MurphysLaw
09-12-2012, 04:18 AM
I flew a week and a half ago, cigars, bic lighter, and punch in my carry-on, not a word was said about any of it at either airport.

CigarNut
09-12-2012, 07:15 AM
I flew a week and a half ago, cigars, bic lighter, and punch in my carry-on, not a word was said about any of it at either airport.
Soft flame lighters like Zippo's and Bic's are OK. Only torch lighters are forbidden.

Guillotine style cutters are supposed to be OK too. I usually carry a cheap ligher and cutter with me and check my more expensive cutter. Never had a problem.

bighairlogo
09-12-2012, 07:40 AM
heres a link to the prohibited items list
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm
and phone number
1-866-289-9673
always good to call and hear it from them before losing any sticks or accessories

replicant_argent
09-12-2012, 07:41 AM
Never trust the luggage monkeys/TSA with your cigars, carry them on. For that matter, I have had an early/introductory model EverTorch in checked luggage 60% disassembled and the parts (all of them tiny, mind you) just tossed back in loose, after they "inspected" it. Groping old ladies and kids, unable to see that a lighter is just a lighter, etc. There is a reason I am a cynical, cranky, approaching curmudgeonly old man.

pnoon
09-12-2012, 07:47 AM
heres a link to the prohibited items list
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm
and phone number
1-866-289-9673
always good to call and hear it from them before losing any sticks or accessories

Unfortunately, whoever you might have spoken with on the phone will NOT be the one screening you. Informative? Maybe. But I wouldn't bank on it.
:2

jledou
09-12-2012, 07:56 AM
In general carrying on Cigars, a bic type lighter and a guillotine style cutter has not been a problem for me flying both domestically and internationally except for no lighters at all in China.
I don't fly with my Palio just in case but I have not had a problem so far to date.

bighairlogo
09-12-2012, 07:59 AM
Unfortunately, whoever you might have spoken with on the phone will NOT be the one screening you. Informative? Maybe. But I wouldn't bank on it.
:2

:gary

kydsid
09-12-2012, 08:04 AM
Oh the stories I could tell about my personal experiences with TSA :r

Blak Smyth
09-12-2012, 08:15 AM
I carried my cigars on before, I was stopped after the bag ran through the xray and they searched my bag. They pulled out a summer sausage and said "Ahhh, it's just summer sausage. Sets the detector off everytime". No issues with the cigars, but it had me sweating.

CigarNut
09-12-2012, 08:46 AM
:2I agree Peter. I am also not sure that carrying a copy of the rules and regulations would help you when you are questioned -- even though the regulations state that both soft-flame lighters and cigar cutters are permitted...

Parshooter
09-12-2012, 09:20 AM
I've had TSA open and go through my traveldor full of banded Cuban cigars. They aren't looking for illegal cigars, just stuff that can blow **** up.

poker
09-12-2012, 11:14 AM
I used to travel for a living (field service engineer) for years both domestically & internationally. TSA dosent give a rats @ss about your cigars (Cuban or non-Cuban) and focus on items they deem dangerous. I have traveled with banded cigars in both checked and carry on luggage. I never carry a torch style lighter. My cutter is usually always in my checked luggage if I bring one at all. Never had a problem to this day.

Just for the record US Customs is the one looking for contraband, not TSA.

markem
09-12-2012, 12:03 PM
I used to travel for a living (field service engineer) for years both domestically & internationally. TSA dosent give a rats @ss about your cigars (Cuban or non-Cuban) and focus on items they deem dangerous. I have traveled with banded cigars in both checked and carry on luggage. I never carry a torch style lighter. My cutter is usually always in my checked luggage if I bring one at all. Never had a problem to this day.

Just for the record US Customs is the one looking for contraband, not TSA.

:tpd: but for the record, I almost always have a non-metallic torch lighter in my luggage shoved in the shaving kit. I use the cheapie from DealExtreme (which is changing to dx.com), specifically this one:
http://dx.com/p/compact-1300-c-butane-jet-lighter-4179?rt=1&p=2&m=2&r=3&k=1&t=1&s=1455&u=4179
I order it in quantities of 25 or 50 and pass them out like candy. In 5 years, I am on lighter #3.

Nathan
09-13-2012, 07:10 PM
I bring a cheap cutter and my 8 count with a bic regularly and never get bothered.

cjhalbrooks
09-13-2012, 08:15 PM
Hey b I will bring a lighter and gilly to pass if your worried. All I ask is bring good cigars to pass lol

BHalbrooks
09-13-2012, 08:43 PM
Hey b I will bring a lighter and gilly to pass if your worried. All I ask is bring good cigars to pass lol

Pfffft, I'll bring some surprises.

Sauer Grapes
09-13-2012, 08:52 PM
I got one of those Colibri Transpaks for the lighter. You put it in the checked luggage and it is TSA approved.

I alway carry on my cigars and cutter. I've never been stopped about the cigars but the cutter gets my bag a secondary screening at times. They've never given me problems about it, just wanted to see what the metal thing was.

Stinky
09-13-2012, 11:13 PM
Always carry my cigars ON the plane with me. Put the cutter & lighters in my dopp kit with the razor, clippers, pocket knife, etc. in the checked bag. No problems.