PDA

View Full Version : Experience of a lifetime.......

Blueface
12-07-2008, 02:23 PM
I have been MIA for a while due to lots of things going on but mostly work.
I am back from a week of relaxation on a cruise that was too good of a deal to pass on, specially given the wife and I just have to drive a half hour to jump on board.

I could not wait to come back and share this with all.
I never thought I would see the day my eyes would see this sight again.
I was filled with so many emotions at the time.
I jumped for joy.
I cried.
I got goose bumps all over.
To some, this is a cloudy photo of a scene. It was a very cloudy day so I was quite fortunate to be able to capture this much.
To me, it is the most beautiful sight my eyes have seen in over 42 years.
Those that know me will probably have guessed by now that this is a photo of Cuba, captured by my camera, as seen through my very own eyes.
Even now as I type this, I am filled with emotions.
As I stood there for the half hour or so we cruised by it, I realized my wife's emotions were so much more complex than mine.
She too experienced the same feelings I did but for her it was much more special.
She was laying eyes once again literally where she was born. We were passing Pinar del Rio. Just over the mountains in this picture is Vuelta Abajo. Just near that area is her family's home. Just over those hills is a dad she can't hug or speak to on a regular basis.
I suppose the only way to cope with the incredible sadness and tears that come about even as I type is the fact at the very least, I got to see it again before I die. Hopefully, one day we can take that further and actually get to step foot on its soil.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s167/cmach_photo/CSC_0035.jpg

croatan
12-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Glad to see you back, Carlos.

Tony, Mikey, and I got together last night and we missed you greatly.

alley00p
12-07-2008, 02:35 PM
Carlos, I'm moved by your description of your trip, and I will keep your wife in my thoughts. I only hope that someday soon she will be able to meet with her papa.

Welcome home!

:dance::dance::dance:

icehog3
12-07-2008, 02:41 PM
Amazing description of the experience, Carlos. I hope that someday things will change enough to where you both can AND want to visit The Island.

JE3146
12-07-2008, 02:45 PM
I can't even begin to explain how much this post and picture opened up my eyes to a perspective on 'things' that I'd never even considered before.

Here's hoping 'things' change in the coming years and you will be allowed to set foot on her again. :(

MNSmoker
12-07-2008, 02:55 PM
That's a great story, and thanks for sharing it with us. I'm glad you and your wife got to share in that great experience, and hopefully one day the both of you will be able to return to Cuba. Your story definitely helps others to view what the embargo really means to some of us.

68TriShield
12-07-2008, 03:21 PM
I can't begin to imagine Carlos...

kiwi michelle
12-07-2008, 03:47 PM
Thanks for sharing Carlos.............there are some thing we take for granted and being able to go to a country that someone else couldn't was certainly something that I had.

Give Clara a big hug from me.
I am pleased to hear that you were able to have a nice cruise together.:)

Don Fernando
12-07-2008, 04:06 PM
Carlos, I hope for you and your wife that Obama accepts the invitation of the Castro brothers and that the relations between Cuba and the US improve to the level that your wife and you can visit her family.

TideRoll
12-07-2008, 04:28 PM
I'm very glad you got this opportunity.

Starscream
12-07-2008, 04:44 PM
Carlos, I cannot imagin how you feel. Glad to hear you had this opportunity, and hope one day you can take it a step further.

floydp
12-07-2008, 05:42 PM
Someday soon I hope its merely a flight reservation for you two to visit home brother. Thanks for sharing Carlos.

replicant_argent
12-07-2008, 06:16 PM
Wonderful thoughts, my brother. Give yourself and Clara a hug for us.

Tenor CS
12-07-2008, 06:23 PM
I lived in Miami for 15 years, and I made many wonderful Cuban friends who have similar emotions to yours. Thank you for sharing the story and photo. I raise my glass to you and hope for the best.

pnoon
12-07-2008, 06:25 PM
I had been wondering where you had been.

What a profound and moving experience. I am happy for you both, Carlos.

jitzy
12-07-2008, 06:30 PM
That is incredibly amazing, I really hope your wife gets to go back there one day

mikeyj23
12-07-2008, 06:31 PM
Thanks for sharing your experience, Carlos.

Tony, Mikey, and I got together last night and we missed you greatly.
That we did. We even talked about getting you down here again :tu

floydpink
12-07-2008, 06:54 PM
Thanks for sharing that story Carlos. I felt sad reading it, and hope your family's hearts are filled with a joyful reunion in the near future.

Skywalker
12-07-2008, 08:19 PM
Incredible!!!

Thanks for sharing!!!

lenguamor
12-07-2008, 08:27 PM
May your voice reach God's ear, Carlos.

It is my hope to one day set foot again upon the soil of a free Cuba; it is my dream to one day, once again, call it my home.

Sailchaser
12-07-2008, 08:58 PM
Thanks for making my day and sharing you family story with us. It is truly a great gift to be able to see a land that you could tie so many emotions to. I hope that you will be able to visit and enjoy the family All on one piece of land one day

bobarian
12-07-2008, 09:00 PM
Though I cant imagine how you and your wife felt, it was moving to read your post. Thank you for sharing and keeping the hope that someday you will be able to freely visit your homeland. :salute:

Old Sailor
12-08-2008, 06:22 PM
Glad to see you back, Carlos. :D

rizzle
12-10-2008, 10:19 AM
I can't imagine seeing the place I was born from afar...and knowing I can't go there. Especially if I knew there was family there.

Really brings it home Carlos. Thanks man, and God bless!

Cigargal
12-10-2008, 10:29 AM
It's gonna happen one day, Carlos. And someday we will have a major herf on the beach in Cuba.

newcigarz
12-10-2008, 11:11 AM
Someday Carlos, someday. ;)

hotreds
12-10-2008, 12:56 PM
Wow- very moving, indeed! Here's hoping that one day soon Cuba sera libre nuevamente.

Blueface
12-10-2008, 01:47 PM
Thanks to all for the kind hopeful thoughts.

I was at our local supermarket today speaking to the bakery department manager, who is Cuban also. First time I saw her since my return. I was still choked up telling her about this experience.

Some, if not all of you, have recognized something most take for granted. It is so, so tough to see where you were born so close yet you are so far. I can't describe it. It is a void that has no words. I believe humans are like so many of the animals in the world that travel so far to lay their eggs or give birth were they were born themselves. We all have an inherent desire to see our birthplace and see our roots. If you are Cuban or an illegal alien (not limited to that but makes up the majority), that is the only way you can know what it feels like to be deprived of that. Again, very hard to put in words.