PDA

View Full Version : Breakfast Kale shake

replicant_argent
09-07-2012, 08:49 AM
A great semi-savory way to kick start your morning. More of a smoothie than a shake I suppose. I have seen a few different variations on the recipe, this is mine. Doesn't taste as odd as it sounds.

Half a bunch of kale, washed and stems removed.
1 cup frozen berries
1 banana
1 cup plain yogurt
roughly a cup or so of juice (apple, orange, grapefruit, whatever works for you)
1 clove raw garlic
about 25 grams fresh ginger, peeled and chunked.

Put it in the blender and blend at high speed until smooth.
You can store the remainder for 24-48 hours in the fridge.

Supercharged, high fiber, healthy breakfast to go. Works for me.

Subvet642
10-24-2012, 06:14 AM
Good Lord! If that's what it takes to be healthy, I'd rather eat doughnuts and die happy.

replicant_argent
10-24-2012, 07:07 AM
The latest tweak/variation is with pineapple juice, no yogurt and a handful of fresh strawberries along with the frozen blueberry/blackberry/raspberry mix along with a little cinnamon and chili pepper. It's pretty damn good. 5 dollar shake good.

timj219
10-24-2012, 07:07 AM
I like the sound of it I think I'll give it a try

mmblz
10-24-2012, 07:09 AM
somehow I don't think fish and cottage cheese would do much to improve this smoothie :rolleyes:

We tried Kale a few times but got turned off after finding it full of worms once... Now we stick to Arugula... Nowhere to hide ;)

replicant_argent
10-24-2012, 07:27 AM
Thanks for the mental picture, Julian...

:r

Pass the mental floss and double rinses coming up.

I was going to list the entire ingredient list of several cookbooks, but it seemed silly as fnck. ;)

T.G
10-24-2012, 08:29 AM
Come on Pete, doesn't everyone want to juice a bagel? Maybe even a scone...

It would be a nice accompaniment to the dirty hot dog water martini.

dave
10-24-2012, 08:34 AM
Kale? Isn't that the green stuff near lettuce at the grocery store?

I squinted and re-read the recipe with 'cake' instead of 'kale'...now it's got my attention.

Rep, despite my aversion to kale, I do appreciate the Pulp Fiction reference. Thanks.

replicant_argent
10-24-2012, 08:36 AM
It is Dave. By the time you add all the other ingredients, it pretty much overpowers the mild flavor of the kale, but what you are left with is a pretty intense green color, a boat load of vitamins/minerals/fiber. As far as kale as a vegetable goes? Hell no, I wouldn't eat it.

replicant_argent
10-24-2012, 08:39 AM
It would be a nice accompaniment to the dirty hot dog water martini.

Mmmmm...... DHDWM's.......

You do remind me of the old family recipe for scones and my mothers insanity, however.

T.G
10-24-2012, 10:49 AM
Mmmmm...... DHDWM's.......

You do remind me of the old family recipe for scones and my mothers insanity, however.

That's cool.

Only old family recipes I was ever given was pop tarts with extra gravy.

68TriShield
10-24-2012, 10:57 AM
Kale by itself is good when done right.
The smoothie would make me shat like a shark :su

replicant_argent
10-24-2012, 10:59 AM
That's cool.

Only old family recipes I was ever given was pop tarts with extra gravy.

That's pretty funny, because my whack-job mother insists she made scones for us "all the time" when we were kids.

She never did.

My wife enjoys the joke when I say it, though.

T.G
10-24-2012, 11:05 AM
That's pretty funny, because my whack-job mother insists she made scones for us "all the time" when we were kids.

She never did.

My wife enjoys the joke when I say it, though.

What a coincidence, I never actually tried a pop tart until I was like 24 or 25. And I hate gravy.

mosesbotbol
10-24-2012, 12:36 PM
I juiced a clove of garlic once and it was potent, could not get the zing out of my mouth for hours! And I love garlic, but would be hesitant to try juicing it again.

Other than that, this recipe sounds awesome!