PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Cigars From Estate Sale

Geerawkz
09-04-2012, 03:58 PM
Hey All,

Recently attended an estate sale and came across a beautiful box that I thought I could convert into a humidor

To my surprise it turns out the individual was already using it as a humidor or attempted to use it as one and had a bunch of cigars in it. Most of them I have no clue where they are from or any information about them so figured I'd post it here and see if anyone has ever heard of them

It would appear they have the names:

El Incomparable
La Diva
Don Lino
El Sublimado
Royal Jamaica
Bacchus Cigars

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

icehog3
09-04-2012, 04:10 PM
Don Lino, Royal Jamaica and Bacchus are all decent, moderately priced cigars.

Biggest question is, was the "humidor" properly maintained, and if not, how long have these cigars been neglected.

Geerawkz
09-04-2012, 06:13 PM
They need to be in one of my humidors for a bit of time to get back to the proper humidity level, but the attempted humidor also had a good amount of Cuban Cohibas and Romeo y Julietas so for $25 was a steal!

icehog3
09-04-2012, 06:16 PM
Again, depending on how long they were improperly stored. :2

pnoon
09-04-2012, 06:17 PM
Don Lino, Royal Jamaica and Bacchus are all decent, moderately priced cigars.

Biggest question is, was the "humidor" properly maintained, and if not, how long have these cigars been neglected.

A critical question. The longer they have beenneglected, the less likely you will have a smokable cigar.
They need to be in one of my humidors for a bit of time to get back to the proper humidity level, but the attempted humidor also had a good amount of Cuban Cohibas and Romeo y Julietas so for $25 was a steal!
Provided, of course, they are authentic.

CigarNut
09-04-2012, 06:45 PM
A critical question. The longer they have beenneglected, the less likely you will have a smokable cigar.

Provided, of course, they are authentic.Probably no way to tell if they are (were) authentic anymore, and if they have not been stored properly it will not really matter... :2

Ashcan Bill
09-04-2012, 06:51 PM
As far as their condition, a lot also depends on where they've been kept. I see you're from Miami, so I assume these may have also been from the Florida area. You guys have higher humidity, so even if they weren't kept in an artificially humidified environment, they still may be fine.

If you leave a cigar out in open here in Nevada, you'll end up with a shrunken twig is short order. But it all depends on where you live and the ambient humidity.

pnoon
09-04-2012, 06:54 PM
As far as their condition, a lot also depends on where they've been kept. I see you're from Miami, so I assume these may have also been from the Florida area. You guys have higher humidity, so even if they weren't kept in an artificially humidified environment, they still may be fine.

If you leave a cigar out in open here in Nevada, you'll end up with a shrunken twig is short order. But it all depends on where you live and the ambient humidity.

Excellent point, Bill.

Geerawkz
09-04-2012, 09:30 PM
The cigars themselves do not seem to far off from a revival point, I've revived worse off cigars. I am excited to give it a shot in an attempted revival and will let you know how they end up smoking.

In terms of the authenticy, they seem to match up with my other Cuban Cohibas & Romeo y Julietas I have. But in short 25$ for a hand painted (i guess that could be potentially brought into question as well) box / humidor with a bunch (about 40) potentially revivable cigars is still a good deal in my opinion.

GreekGodX
09-04-2012, 09:48 PM
I think you should just smoke one and see how they are :ss

For 25 bucks it is worth the risk. I believe cigars are more resilient than some of us anal-types let on.

Bax
09-05-2012, 01:32 AM

For 25 bucks it is worth the risk. I believe cigars are more resilient than some of us anal-types let on.

Great advice, just smoke them and see. It's not like you're trying to save a rare painting or anything, just some average cigars (from the ones pictured). If they suck, trash them and start filling up your new box :tu

5newmans
09-05-2012, 05:22 AM
Cool, for $25, I would have taken the risk. Let us know how they turn out.:cf2

Blak Smyth
09-05-2012, 05:26 AM

:tu:tu

ninjavanish
09-05-2012, 05:59 AM
I think im echoing some previous posts here but for a little reassurance, ill follow suit anyway. There's no doubt that cigars, if left in low humidity environments will lose not only moisture but the oils which provide flavor. Over time under humidified cigars will change in flavor. However, not all change is bad. Cigars can be rehumidified. And though you can never recover the original state of the cigar, sometimes I have found that the change in flavor isn't always as drastic as some would lead you to believe. Leave them in a 65% humi for a while and then after a few weeks bump them up to 70ish. You may be suprised at how well they smoke.

RevSmoke
09-05-2012, 09:48 AM
El Incomparable - Single Malt Scotch infused
La Diva
El Sublimado - Cognac infused

All three of these came out during the boom. They were all in the $10-$20 range per stick. Not bad cigars, but overpriced at the time.

Geerawkz
09-05-2012, 10:31 AM
Sounds good to me, I'll light one up tonight and let you know how it smokes!