PDA

View Full Version : Converting a wine-cooler into a humidor...

Robulous78
08-27-2012, 05:02 PM
I have heard that you can buy a themo-electric wine cooler and with the addition of some cedar paneling and some humification equipment or the "bean bags" you can convert it into a large humidor...

Anyone ever do this? Success? Failure? Helpful Hints?

Anyone know where you can get cedar paneling or cedar board?

As always thanks everyone & Pleasant Smoke,

Rob

AlohaStyle
08-27-2012, 05:06 PM
Do a search and/or look through the Accessory Forum... there are many threads telling you how to do this. Yes, many success stories including me. You don't need cedar, just put some cedar cigar boxes in, or use empties to put in loose singles. You can also buy cedar trays for $10 each for singles.

Robulous78
08-27-2012, 05:10 PM
Do a search and/or look through the Accessory Forum... there are many threads telling you how to do this. Yes, many success stories including me. You don't need cedar, just put some cedar cigar boxes in, or use empties to put in loose singles. You can also buy cedar trays for $10 each for singles.

Thanks Aloha,
If you had to estimate what it cost you to make it what would you say?

08-27-2012, 05:13 PM
Thanks Aloha,
If you had to estimate what it cost you to make it what would you say?

If your doing a 28 btl wine cooler with trays from forrest maybe like 400+-
With 10$ trays maybe 300+-
I have an 18btl with open boxes and beads and that ran me 220ish. I plan on getting trays from Forrest at some point thou

Robulous78
08-27-2012, 05:17 PM
If your doing a 28 btl wine cooler with trays from forrest maybe like 400+-
With 10$ trays maybe 300+-
I have an 18btl with open boxes and beads and that ran me 220ish. I plan on getting trays from Forrest at some point thou

Thanks for the info 363... Very Helpful...

md4958
08-27-2012, 05:20 PM
There really isnt much to convert. You can order some cedar shelving from some of the members here, or a drawer for your singles (they are made to fit Vinotemps)

Other than that just stick your boxes in, grab some beads (I always recommend Shilala- see CigarNut for those) and youre good to go.

Robulous78
08-27-2012, 05:47 PM
There really isnt much to convert. You can order some cedar shelving from some of the members here, or a drawer for your singles (they are made to fit Vinotemps)

Other than that just stick your boxes in, grab some beads (I always recommend Shilala- see CigarNut for those) and youre good to go.

thanks Md4958,

I'm new here and haven't made it through many of these pages... And, admittedly am full of questions...

what members sell shelving?

vinotemps? is this a brand of winecooler?

How much do the beads run?

and this may be really dumb, but when you use/convert one... do you run the cooler to keep the cigars humidified or at the right temp? or do you just want the wine cooler for its construction and seal?

the reason I ask is I already have a mini fridge of standard construction with a condenser... Do you know of anything I could do to modify this?

Thanks for your help everyone / Md4958,

Rob

bobarian
08-27-2012, 05:48 PM
You can spend as much or as little as you feel is necessary. Cedar shelves or trays are not at all necessary but many like the look. With my second Vinotemp I chose to use the wire shelves as it is mainly for box storage, I use empty boxes to hold singles. In my first, I added cedar shelves by cutting 4"x1/4" cedar planks(Woodcraft). I used two pieces per shelf and left about 1-2" in between for air flow.

I also use 1lb of Heartfelt 65% beads in two bags, one on the top shelf and one on the bottom. :2

The biggest problem with a condenser fridge is raising the temp to an acceptable range for cigars(60-70degrees) for this you will need to connect an external controller such as those made by Johnson Controllers.

TJarv
08-27-2012, 05:53 PM
I'm in the process of converting one now

Cooler-$200
Drawers-$200
2 lbs of beads-$100

Robulous78
08-27-2012, 06:05 PM
You can spend as much or as little as you feel is necessary. Cedar shelves or trays are not at all necessary but many like the look. With my second Vinotemp I chose to use the wire shelves as it is mainly for box storage, I use empty boxes to hold singles. In my first, I added cedar shelves by cutting 4"x1/4" cedar planks(Woodcraft). I used two pieces per shelf and left about 1-2" in between for air flow.

I also use 1lb of Heartfelt 65% beads in two bags, one on the top shelf and one on the bottom. :2

The biggest problem with a condenser fridge is raising the temp to an acceptable range for cigars(60-70degrees) for this you will need to connect an external controller such as those made by Johnson Controllers.

Wow... Alot of information, Thanks Bobarian, a few more questions from a newb if you don't mind...

these controllers? are they cheaper then just buying a new or used cooler? can you ball-park there price?

to be completely honest I am just now starting out on my exploration of cigarland... I am doing fine with what I have currently but I have high hopes for the future... :)

most of my moo-lah goes to my sticks... :) So I am trying to accomplish adequate storage for my future expansions on the cheap...

Any bargain or at the least cost effect storage hints anyone can offer? I also hear of bagging sticks and placing them into unused regular beer coolers with beads... thoughts?

My over all question is where does adequate protection meet cost effectiveness?

Thanks BOTL / Bobarian for all the interest and help,

Rob

TJarv
08-27-2012, 06:06 PM
Cooler will be wayyyyyyyy cheaper

bobarian
08-27-2012, 06:07 PM
A Google search can help you find the cost on an external controller.

Also a search of the accessories forum here will give you many threads on setting up a cooler and a wine fridge. :2

TJarv
08-27-2012, 06:07 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-100-Quart-Xtreme-5-Day-Cooler/dp/B0019QD8HQ/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1346112437&sr=8-8&keywords=coleman+cooler

Robulous78
08-27-2012, 06:10 PM
I'm in the process of converting one now

Cooler-$200
Drawers-$200
2 lbs of beads-$100

Thanks TJarv...

TJarv
08-27-2012, 06:12 PM
The wine cooler price will vary depending on model

The price of drawers will vary depending on who you buy from

Robulous78
08-27-2012, 06:13 PM
Cooler will be wayyyyyyyy cheaper

So guessing from your amazon link your saying a beer type cooler with beads is the way to go.... how do you maintain temperature as Bobarian said arould 65/ 70 degrees? do you have to by that controller? or is that not so much an important issue as it is to have the proper amount of beads and a good seal?

TJarv
08-27-2012, 06:17 PM
Most on here will tell you that your cigars should be kept in a temp around 70*

If you have a basement, or a room in the house that stays pretty cool it will be fine

Robulous78
08-27-2012, 06:21 PM
Thanks TJarv... you get into those Padilla's bighairlogo sent you? I bought the same sampler and thought they were pretty tasty... :)

TJarv
08-27-2012, 06:22 PM
They are still resting, but I am interested in trying them out

Robulous78
08-27-2012, 06:33 PM
I'm sure you'll enjoy them... So onto these beads... everyone seems loyal to there bead brand... anyone care to expand on that?

more importantly... any brands to stay away from?

Thanks everyone,

Rob

chippewastud79
08-27-2012, 06:42 PM
I'm sure you'll enjoy them... So onto these beads... everyone seems loyal to there bead brand... anyone care to expand on that?

more importantly... any brands to stay away from?

Thanks everyone,

Rob

Honestly, a lot of these questions can be answered by reading a bit around the forum. The beads are your choice, most prefer RH Beads or HCM Beads. :2

poriggity
08-28-2012, 11:30 AM
When I did mine, I just cleaned the plastic to get rid of the new plastic smell, then put my boxes and beads in. Probably the cheapest way to do it, but I am planning on picking up a drawer for singles soon!

PuffPuffGive1
08-28-2012, 11:45 AM
Yes, the accessories forum has A LOT of great, useful information in regards to this matter! Surely helped me for sure setting my vino up =). But for me, I had shelves...but decided to just get boxes and whatnot.

AlohaStyle
08-28-2012, 12:03 PM
Bro, if you have A/C in your house/apartment or have a cool basement, just buy a large cooler (120 quart+) and some beads and you are good to go. Cheaper than going with a wine fridge like you say you want most of your money going towards cigars.

Big Bert
08-28-2012, 12:17 PM
I got lucky on mine. Got on Craigslist and found a new in box 16btl. Wine cooler for 50$ plus close to 80ish on shelves (6) with taxes from cheaphumidorsdotcom of course you can get them from a member here but I found out a bit too late. So all in all I spent less then 200. I think I got more then double that amount on cigars now :D

Robulous78
08-29-2012, 05:48 PM
Thanks Everyone for the input... I am definitely looking around... Ill let you know what i end up with...

pullins10
05-07-2015, 05:41 AM
Great thread, thanks for the information!

afranco
05-07-2015, 08:26 AM
(Rob) i just recently completed the wineador.. The best thing i could do.. There is alot of great info on here.. Goodluck and enjoy:banger