PDA

View Full Version : Day 4 Of Quitting Snuff...

shilala
08-25-2012, 07:19 AM
I've been chewing a can or 2 a day for 33 years, and been chewing tobacco for a good 35 or 36.
Today will be a record. I have NEVER been without snuff for 4 days in the last 30+ years.
It is driving me out of my freakin mind, and I'm starting to get a bit snappish. It's taken a ton of prayer to get this far, I'm sure it'll take a whole lot more before it's done.

I'm going to go get some of that fake snuff today and I'm also going to get some jerky snuff. Oddly, the nicotine dropoff hasn't really bothered me. I've been nursing the same PL panatella for the last few days, I spark it up when I'm ready to crack. There's way more than half left.

If you guys have any tips from when you suffered through this, I could sure use them. :)

dwoodward
08-25-2012, 07:26 AM
Good job Scott! Drop the snuff.

A good support group behind you would be the best way and easiest way to quit. And incase you didn't notice, CA is a good place for that!

68TriShield
08-25-2012, 07:27 AM
What makes you say it's not nicotine withdraw?
If it were me I'd try some Nicorette gum or whatever it's called.

smitty81
08-25-2012, 07:33 AM
I could drop cigars, cigarettes, and booze whenever................

Chew on the other hand was the hardest think I ever gave up.

I used to just leave my ID in the car if I was going in the gas station or where ever, I was young enough that they still carded me.

It was really hard to just quit cold turkey, I had to slowly ween myself off.

After a while, I was able to go about 3 weeks or so without. I tried it after those 3 weeks and I got sicker than a dog.

That was the end for me.

Good luck Scott, it's a tough road but you can do it.

kelmac07
08-25-2012, 08:28 AM
Best of luck Scottie...going on 35 years with snuff here. Thought about quitting a few times. :D

Eleven
08-25-2012, 08:30 AM
I gave up cigarettes in 97, after the first day it all became a game of "Made it one day, make it through the next and it's another victory". I made it much more important to myself to not fail.

Going cold turkey was the only way for me to quit, there was no way to slow down.

Good luck!

shilala
08-25-2012, 08:35 AM
What makes you say it's not nicotine withdraw?
If it were me I'd try some Nicorette gum or whatever it's called.
I have a mess of cigars, Dave. I can always go to them for the nicotine. I'm honestly afraid of getting addicted to nicotine gum, lots and lots of guys have told me they did that. An old boy just told me a couple weekends ago that he quit after 45 years, it took him a year with the nicotine gum and he's still chewing jerky snuff. :)

I went and got some jerky snuff and that immediately solved the "going nuts wanting a dip" thing, so that's gonna be a big help. I'll keep a cigar handy, too. I have some little Punch Margaritas and some tiny little cohibas that'll work. I'm not going to smoke anything unless it's absolutely necessary, I really want to get the goo out of my system asap.

JenksAnejo
08-25-2012, 08:39 AM
Good for you Scott! Good luck buddy it'll all be worth it :tu

08-25-2012, 08:44 AM
Good luck Scott!

dwoodward
08-25-2012, 08:44 AM
On a side note... I always thought snuff was that powdery tobacco you snorted. Not chewed.

I don't chew any tobacco, so I might be wrong, just curious.

JenksAnejo
08-25-2012, 08:47 AM
Snuff can be called what you described, but in the chewing tobacco world it is generally very fine cut chewing tobacco.

Fordman4ever
08-25-2012, 08:50 AM
Not a day goes by that I don't think about going down to the gas station and getting a can. Lots of time in the gym or doing yard work or working in the garage keeps my mind off of it.

Fordman4ever
08-25-2012, 08:52 AM
Why did you quit, if you don't mind me asking?

IBQTEE1
08-25-2012, 10:34 AM
Now I understand why you were offering it to me at the Shack. You were seeing if you could start going without it. :D

Congrats brother.

RevSmoke
08-25-2012, 11:40 AM
Scott, here's an idea I have used.

Coffee grounds. Put them in an old tin. You can get a pinch whenever you want. You can even spit and it looks like snuff spit. Of course, you can also swallow and no harm done.

Yes, I am serious. It is works.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Big Bert
08-25-2012, 12:30 PM
Good luck scott!! you can do it brother.

Nathan
08-25-2012, 09:59 PM
Good work! At this point in time every day will be easier than the day before. I just thought of that and remembered the hell I went through everytime I thought of buying any. I knew if I bought any I would have to start that all over. I don't like doing something twice.

PCR
08-25-2012, 10:20 PM
Scott, amazingly this is day four for me too. I haven't dipped as long as you have but none the less... Many of us, me included, are creatures of habit. One of the ways to help quit dip/chew is to remove yourself from the place that you daily chew. I dipped at work, so there goes that theory for me (not independently wealthy). So I put the thought into my head that I would just be me BEFORE I dipped, as in before I ever chewed. I gotta tell you, so far so good. It's almost as if I just forgot I had the habit. Give it a try, maybe it will help you too. God Bless you brother, we're all here to help in whatever way we can.

RobR1205
08-25-2012, 10:37 PM
Sorry no first hand advice, but just wanted to wish you all the best in your effort to quit! I know you'll do it! Prayers and well wishes sent!

poriggity
08-25-2012, 10:57 PM
Good luck Scott. I have started up again.. I try to quit, but don't go more than I day before I pick up a can again.

Ismith75
08-26-2012, 12:15 AM
I used to dip notoriously in college during finals. I would always chew on a cigar to try and keep my mind off it.

Remo
08-26-2012, 12:20 AM
Man, I have been on Copenhagen for 20 some odd years, I quit for 6 months once using Bacc-Off...that stuff works pretty well. Good luck bro :tu

shilala
08-26-2012, 10:55 AM
Welp, it's Day 5. This thing has gotten progressively suckier every moment from the instant I quit. If I had a basket of kittens to stomp on, I'd feel WAY better.
On a positive note, it seems to be making an impact on my neural problems. I don't have any choice but to see this thing out, even if I go nuts. :)
Thanks to everyone for your support!!! :tu

LostAbbott
08-26-2012, 11:04 AM
Keep up the good work Scott. While it is not something I have any knowledge I know it can be hard to quit and I will be pulling for you.
Posted via Mobile Device

EricF
08-26-2012, 11:30 AM
Keep up the good work Scott!!!

One day at a time!

PCR
08-26-2012, 01:00 PM
Day five here too Scott, I was thinking of you earlier today. Keep up the good fight, it's gonna get better. I know it's not easy. Go do something to take your mind away.

G G
08-26-2012, 01:17 PM
hang in there Scott, wish i had the courage for doing it too.

shilala
08-26-2012, 06:55 PM
Day five here too Scott, I was thinking of you earlier today. Keep up the good fight, it's gonna get better. I know it's not easy. Go do something to take your mind away.
We have Family Day every Sunday, and the whole family says it's all downhill from here, Paul. Thank God, now I can quit stressing out. ;)
The day is almost over and I'm chilling out, I hope you didn't have too bad a go of it today.
Tomorrow I'm gonna pray a lot more and whine a lot less. I figure if I quit focusing on it so hard it'll get a lot easier.
I'll be hangin with ya, brother. Stick in there!!! :tu

PCR
08-26-2012, 10:57 PM
We have Family Day every Sunday, and the whole family says it's all downhill from here, Paul. Thank God, now I can quit stressing out. ;)
The day is almost over and I'm chilling out, I hope you didn't have too bad a go of it today.
Tomorrow I'm gonna pray a lot more and whine a lot less. I figure if I quit focusing on it so hard it'll get a lot easier.
I'll be hangin with ya, brother. Stick in there!!! :tu

That's the idea, don't focus on it. Good job Scott, we'll check in with each other tomorrow. +1 with lots of prayers. Hey, we're gonna beat this!

Blak Smyth
08-27-2012, 05:57 AM
Good luck Scott, you are in my thoughts.

I remember the last time I tried chew.
I was snow boarding on Bear Mountain in Big Bear CA with a friend and we decided to be awesome and chew. It wasn't more than a couple runs before I was vomiting over the side of the chair lift. Good times. Never chewed again, I guess I should consider myself lucky.

akumushi
08-27-2012, 06:15 AM
Best of luck Scott. Weather the the first month and it'll be lot easier. Try to stay away from any heavy dippers you know until you're past the stage of intense craving. After about a year you won't miss it. Sounds like you're doing everything right.

PCR
08-27-2012, 06:23 AM
Ok, day seven Scott. Let's fill the day with good and not even think of the stuff. Like it never existed.

shilala
08-27-2012, 01:36 PM
It's only day six, Paul, but if you want to move it up a day, I'm with ya!!! :tu
This whole thing has been much less difficult today. I'm not half as mental as the last two days.
I had a Dr. appt today and she had all sorts of good stuff to tell me about quitting, none of which I remember. I have another Dr. appt tomorrow, I hope he has more stuff to add. At least all that will be out of the way. :)
Really, I'm surprised how calm I am today. I only got wound up twice so far and that didn't last long at all.

RobR1205
08-27-2012, 01:59 PM
It's only day six, Paul, but if you want to move it up a day, I'm with ya!!! :tu
This whole thing has been much less difficult today. I'm not half as mental as the last two days.
I had a Dr. appt today and she had all sorts of good stuff to tell me about quitting, none of which I remember. I have another Dr. appt tomorrow, I hope he has more stuff to add. At least all that will be out of the way. :)
Really, I'm surprised how calm I am today. I only got wound up twice so far and that didn't last long at all.

I can't imagine the insanity of quitting after so long, but glad it's getting easier, Scott! :tu Keep it up, almost there.

King James
08-27-2012, 02:41 PM
I quit a few months ago. For me, it was more missing the action of chewing than actually having problems with a nicotine addiction. I tried chewing seeds, which seemed to help. Hope you can continue to go strong!

PCR
08-27-2012, 06:14 PM

Oops, ok wrong day...
It would be great to hear what your Doc has to say. Seems as a few days go by this may be getting a little easier. Kind of like replacing one habit for another. Ok let's keep the good going here!

shilala
08-29-2012, 11:25 AM
Day 8:
Meh. Some minutes I'm going nuts, others I could care less. If I could say anything specifically, it's all peaks and valleys.
I think this should smooth out in a week or so.
If I could have found a can of snuff in the house last night around midnight, I'd have caved. :D

Remo
08-29-2012, 12:50 PM
Day 8:
Meh. Some minutes I'm going nuts, others I could care less. If I could say anything specifically, it's all peaks and valleys.
I think this should smooth out in a week or so.
If I could have found a can of snuff in the house last night around midnight, I'd have caved. :D

Keep at it bro....but remember "No one likes a quitter" :gary I kid....I kid...stay strong!

poriggity
08-29-2012, 01:09 PM
Stay strong bro! You're doing great!!

acarr
08-29-2012, 01:20 PM
I would not advise this because the drug is worse than the snuff, but my doctor had me on prednisone for a while. My blood pressure went so high when I chewed, I could feel it in my head. That was it for me!

elderboy02
08-29-2012, 02:36 PM
Keep up the good work Scott! :tu

Big Bert
08-29-2012, 04:39 PM
You got this Scott!!!!

Fordman4ever
08-29-2012, 07:01 PM
I quit a few months ago. For me, it was more missing the action of chewing than actually having problems with a nicotine addiction. I tried chewing seeds, which seemed to help. Hope you can continue to go strong!

I also used seeds to help me quit. It seemed to help me out a lot, but the enormous amount of salt that I was intaking was not good. When my dad quit smoking he used Atomic Fireballs. Every time he wanted a cigarette he would suck on one of them and eventually he didn't want to smoke anymore. It worked for him, might work for you too.

Kycop34
08-31-2012, 06:48 PM
I have dipped snuff for 28yrs now. I quit for right at 6 months back when i was around 23-24yrs old. The biggest problem i remember having during the first few weeks was just the habit of having the dip in my mouth, especially when i was working or whatever. Gum helped a lot and the "jawbreaker" candies.

I started back up because i got pissed off about something or other wound up throwing a good drunk and woke up the next day with a can of snuff in my pocket and I still dip today.

Good luck on sticking with it man, I do have several friends who have quit one cold turkey and a couple who went the jerky route. They all 3 have been quit for awhile now, one of the for about 3yrs or so.

RHNewfie
09-14-2012, 05:21 AM
Are you still sane Scott?

shilala
09-14-2012, 10:16 AM
It's Day 24, Jeff. I had read, and Paul (PCR) told me, that things would smooth out after Day 21. In some ways, that's true. I'm feeling differences in my body, and my brain is unmushing a bit.
I still want to chew snuff. I'd pick it back up in a heartbeat and I've had a dip here and there so I didn't snap and go off the deep end. Over the period of 24 days I've chewed a 3/4 full can that I found in my trunk bag on my motorcycle. (It was WAY better than Christmas when I found it!!!)
I'm still making up my mind if I'm quitting or not. I promised Lisa I'd continue to quit for a month. I have Dr. appt.s on the 24th and 27th, so I'm going at least that long.

Here's the thing...
I can either continue as is and enjoy a dip once in a blue moon until I forget I chew snuff, or start again and go completely overboard immediately. I know I'll be chewing 2 cans a day in a week, and I don't want that at all.
So, if nothing, my perspective has changed a lot. Hopefully it'll continue in that direction. :)

shilala
09-22-2012, 08:35 AM
Day 32.
No "In the house backup snuff" left. It's been a couple days with zero nicotine, not even cigars, and the urge really has faded. Goes to show how stupid I am. 35 years of training on when and where to have a dip of snuff and in 32 days I've pretty much forgot.
The one time that I still never forget it's time for a dip is right after a meal. Especially dinner. The Force is strong with that one.

LostAbbott
09-22-2012, 08:51 AM
Congrats man. I am really happy for you. Way to kick ass and take names. Keep up the good work.
Posted via Mobile Device

hammondc
09-22-2012, 09:25 AM
Awesome job, bro. Stick with it.

PCR
09-22-2012, 09:35 AM
Right with ya Scott!

Stephen
09-22-2012, 11:13 AM
The one time that I still never forget it's time for a dip is right after a meal. Especially dinner. The Force is strong with that one.
Well, you could try quitting dinner. ;)

In all seriousness, congratulations. It's not easy giving up addicting habits.

RHNewfie
09-23-2012, 07:28 AM
Keep it up Scott!

Big Bert
09-23-2012, 08:54 AM
Way to go brother!!

poriggity
09-23-2012, 10:20 AM
Way to go brother. Keep it up!

Scott

Chainsaw13
09-23-2012, 10:38 AM
Keep it up Scott.

elderboy02
09-23-2012, 11:32 AM
Nice job!

shilala
09-27-2012, 02:40 PM
Day 37 of this nonsense. :)
I'd very much like to start dipping again. I miss it. It makes it a lot easier when I don't have it around the house, and I haven't found any "lost" cans lately, so that's easier.
I'm on the fence with the jerky snuff placebo. It just makes me want to have real snuff.
All in all, it's working out very well even though my heart is not even remotely in it.

09-27-2012, 02:41 PM
Hey at least you are sticking with it :tu congrats on making it this far Scott