PDA

View Full Version : Changing tastes

Mentallyrechartd
08-23-2012, 03:24 AM
Apologies if this has been brought up before, but I didn't see anything. My favorite cigar when I first started smoking them was the El Capitan by Bucanero. I hadn't had one in 8 years, so when I saw them recently, I picked a couple up for my brother-in-law and I to review as he had never had one. I couldn't wait to be done with this stick. My brother in law couldn't finish his. It was terrible. These were my first real cigar other than swisher sweets and black and milds. I know tastes change over time but, what was I thinking? Not only that, I used to pay about $4 a piece, but a week ago when I got two they were $10 something per. No offense to anyone who is in love with these, just no longer my cup of tea. So, what cigars, other than machine made gas station sticks, did you absolutely love when you first started, but don't like anymore?

massphatness
08-23-2012, 04:34 AM
I had a Bucanero this past weekend. I can't imagine anyone enjoying them. I mean ever. Each of the three pulls I had on this abomination literally made me wretch. Not kidding. I threw up in my mouth a little. It was God awful.

YMMV

RobR1205
08-23-2012, 05:00 AM
Nica Libre! Hahaha tried one recently, and couldn't get through it. Also found myself spitting the whole way through.

kelmac07
08-23-2012, 05:15 AM
Jeff...I'm with Vin on this one. Every single Bucanero I've had (all four of them) were the same rancid tasting stick..no enjoyment at all.

"Pops", a tiny B&M in Newport News carries their entire line in case you want to give themn another chance. :r :r

Fordman4ever
08-23-2012, 05:19 AM
RP Sungrown. I used to thing these were the bomb diggity, but I had one recently and although it wasn't a bad stick, I just didn't like it anymore.

irratebass
08-23-2012, 08:53 AM
I had a Bucanero this past weekend. I can't imagine anyone enjoying them. I mean ever. Each of the three pulls I had on this abomination literally made me wretch. Not kidding. I threw up in my mouth a little. It was God awful.

YMMV

Larry (Ogre) was talking about that stick and said you guys were actually anticipating the Gurkha to come back in the pass :lr

Blak Smyth
08-23-2012, 09:05 AM

YMMV

Good times :pu

I had never heard of a Bucanero prior to this last weekend and now this thread pops up, weird!

mk05
08-23-2012, 11:31 PM

YMMV

Your own fault for having all that other stuff in your humis. :su

Mentallyrechartd
08-24-2012, 01:52 AM
Mac- thats where I got them nearly 10 years ago, and thats where I picked my last two up(emphasis on last!). I can usually be found at Emersons in Hampton, just thought for nostalgics sake I'd give 'em a go. Sure does make me appreciate the Cojonu 06 that I'll be having tonight all that much more.

mithrilG60
08-24-2012, 02:10 AM
Everyone's tastes change over time, especially when you're first starting out and just developing your palate. I've got an entire drawer of singles, mostly Rocky Patels and other brutally 1-dimensional non-cubans that I bought a few years ago that are in that category. Every so often I break one out to remind me why I switched almost entirely to Cubans. The only NC's I really enjoy now are Padron's, Oliva V's and La Aurora's. One of these days I'll find someone to bomb and clear the drawer to make room for cigars that are more to my tastes.