PDA

View Full Version : Tonka Beans

mosesbotbol
08-20-2012, 10:26 AM
Does anyone like to add a little shaved tonka bean to their coffee? Been playing around with them and it gives it a nice dimension to the coffee. A familiar, but hard to place fragrant scent. A little goes a long way. They can also be added to the sugar bowl, similar as vanila beans are added.

slickster81
10-15-2012, 11:46 AM
Where do you find them? Every place I have checked out lately is "Sorry, sold out" or "unavailable".

They do have a unique flavor and aroma.

mosesbotbol
10-15-2012, 12:24 PM
I bought them at: http://www.montrealplus.ca/montreal/venues/la-vieille-europe

Actually been using the beans more often in French Press. A very small amount is needed; literally just a sliver.

Blak Smyth
10-15-2012, 12:29 PM
Hmmm never heard of the stuff:
http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2010/11/the-tonka-bean-an-ingredient-so-good-it-has-to-be-illegal/65616/

Sounds delightful!

mosesbotbol
10-15-2012, 12:39 PM
Cool article.

I had no idea what they were when I bought them. They looked interesting and never saw them before. I was like "I'll just buy them and figure out what they are when I get home." After reading about them, we've used them in a few dishes. They are good mixed in with the sugar like some do with vanilla beans.

replicant_argent
10-15-2012, 01:05 PM
They sound fascinating. The FDA is a bit annoying regarding good things to eat, though. Runny cheese indeed?

mosesbotbol
10-15-2012, 01:35 PM
They have perfume, vanilla, floral smell and look like an insect. You'll immediately know the smell, but might not be able to put a name to it (unless you knew tonka bean smell already).

I've put a sliver into a double espresso as it fills with ground coffee. It uses such a small amount, can't grind that little.

Brlesq
10-15-2012, 02:21 PM
Shouldn't we have a special forum for this like the one for cubans? :D

This truly is like forbidden fruit. I gotta get me some now for coffee and desserts! I also just read that they are used flavor tobaccos and snuffs.