PDA

View Full Version : China Hutch into humidor?

smitty81
08-16-2012, 06:50 PM
Do you think a hutch that looks something like this would seal up well enough to maintain RH?

http://www.joehickscompanies.com/B_china_hutch.JPG

It's not this exact hutch but it looks close to it.

EricF
08-16-2012, 06:52 PM
You'd probably have to seal all the glass from the inside and put seals on the doors, but if your handy it is doable!

smitty81
08-16-2012, 06:54 PM
You'd probably have to seal all the glass from the inside and put seals on the doors, but if your handy it is doable!

I kind of figured that.

I'm still not sure how well it would hold RH even after that.....?

08-16-2012, 07:05 PM
I kind of figured that.

One way to find out :D

EricF
08-16-2012, 07:08 PM
I kind of figured that.

If you seal it good it should hold pretty good. Something that big would most likely need active humidification to maintain the right RH. I think beads would be a lost cause due to the size of the piece.

I would think sealing the doors would be the hardest part.

smitty81
08-16-2012, 07:13 PM
If you seal it good it should hold pretty good. Something that big would most likely need active humidification to maintain the right RH. I think beads would be a lost cause due to the size of the piece.

I agree, not to sure it can be sealed without some internal wood work.

Savor the Stick
08-16-2012, 08:39 PM
Even with all that...what kind of wood is it made out of? How poreius(SP) is it? Also you would still need to get some cedar in there to help regulate the RH.
Bigger job then you would think.

Ask Scott (Shilala) He has done a few.

CRIMPS
08-16-2012, 08:47 PM
Without seeing the actual piece and the details of the doors, etc., its tough to say. Where there is a will there is a way. IMHO, you would be better off finding something else, though. :2

N2 GOLD
08-16-2012, 09:01 PM
Once everything is sealed, should work just fine. I got a curio cab that I'll bo converting before my B-Day. Best of luck to you. -(P

CigarSquid
08-16-2012, 09:46 PM
One way to find out :D

GO FOR IT! :tu

jluck
08-16-2012, 10:32 PM
It's sealing ability's will be relative to how well you seal it. Make it air tight and use passive humidification or go with active if you leave leaks.Add a few Spanish cedar trays and go:2

coach
08-17-2012, 09:38 AM
i did mine. used regular weather stripping on the doors[secured to the hutch and not the doors].i also drilled 12 1 1/2 " holes in each shelf to allow for ventalization. i also placed a sheet of spanish cedar against the back wall of each shelf. i didn't seal my glass on the doors and still keep 65%. i use beads now but did have it rigged for an Oasis.

lilninjabuddy
08-17-2012, 11:10 AM
That would be one crazy project. You'd definitely want to get it lined with spanish cedar!

Weatherstripping and food-crade silicon should do the trick for the doors, if they close flush against the frame. If they don't, it's going to be near impossible.

mosesbotbol
08-17-2012, 11:13 AM
Put a big enough eletronic humidifier unit and some fans, it should work as is. We're only talking 60-70% RH. Sealing tape should be used though. Avoid chemicals. Maybe waxing the corners could seal and be gentle?

Subvet642
08-17-2012, 12:42 PM

I'm thinking that the doors would be easy; they're just hinged panels with a single seating surface. I would imagine that a silicone gasket, and perhaps shims for the door hinges (to account for the thickness of the gasket, whatever that comes out to be) would do it.

rizzle
08-17-2012, 01:20 PM
I always say that one of these days when my mom passes I'm gonna get one of my grandmother's old pieces and convert it.

cobra03
08-17-2012, 03:40 PM
I converted a nice old hutch into a humidor a few years back. I used that foam insulation tape around the door and a small active humidification unit. I sealed it the best i could but it was never meant to be a humidor so passive beads would not work but i did manage to seal it well enough that my small Humi Care unit worked very well. Looked nice to boot.