PDA

View Full Version : TRYING not to lose interest

cmitch
08-16-2012, 02:47 PM
A while back, I went through a spell where no cigar, even my old favorites, appealed to me. My palate was just off. Now, I'm finding myself quickly becoming disinterested in cigars, much of which has happened in the last 2 weeks. I started smoking cigars because of not only the flavor I liked, but I liked the socializing with the local BOTL's. Since our local B&M owner decided to become a 'dick' with some of his customers, I no longer go there and it has cost me the socializing time I had with BOTL I really liked. We have a meet up on Tuesdays for food and cigars but many of the regulars at the B&M do not show. Most have went their on way and are doing their on thing.

I'm not planning on giving up the Tuesday nights but where I used to have the fever to go to events at the Cigar Room in Madison, AL, I find myself just not wanting to go. 55 miles is just too far to drive to go to a B&M regularly. There's no way our local B&M is ever going to be an option again. IF we had another option here, that would be great but, at this point, I don't see that happening.

My issue with my left eye isn't helpful either, since smoke greatly irritates it to the point it looks like it's going to bleed. Doc doesn't know WHAT is wrong with it but I woke Wed. morning to severe burning and redness. I guess I could wear a patch!

I'm trying to stay with it. I really enjoy cigars but I fear when winter sets in and I have no where to go, I may give it up altogether. Maybe this is just a stage or phase.

The Poet
08-16-2012, 02:52 PM
Life is not a circle, but rather a spiral. If you are meant to come back to it, you shall . . . albeit on a different level.

lilninjabuddy
08-16-2012, 03:20 PM
We all have seasons in life.

Do what you want. What I mean by that is, if you don't really enjoy it anymore, don't force it. Just lay 'em down, and pick them back up when you get that itch again!

SvilleKid
08-16-2012, 03:24 PM
Sorry to hear it, Clayton. I fully understand the local owner issue involved. Given the lack of visibility of that store, and it's owner's attitude and history, it would seem like a competitor would be able to move in and take that market away.

I wonder if the owners if Cigars and More in Bham would be interested??!!?? They were able to best several established (but snobbish) stores here. They would turn K's business in a heartbeat, with better customer response and service!

One can only hope! Hang in there. Give cigars a new role. Use as a relaxation tool. Smoke less, but pick your place and time to make it a "moment", even if you are alone.

pektel
08-16-2012, 03:29 PM
I haven't sat down to enjoy a cigar in quite some time. Well, only a couple times in the past couple months. I'm not going to force myself if I'm just not feeling it right now. I seem to go in phases where I'm really into something, get a little burnt out by it, and take a break. Right now I'm on the "break" part of the cycle. But I'm not worried about it. They're just rolled up leaves. They aren't going anywhere, and they'll be even better with some more age on them. :tu

poriggity
08-16-2012, 03:58 PM
I feel ya. I used to smoke 2-3 cigars a day, then got burnt out. I now MIGHT smoke one or two a week... I am happy with that. Do what you gotta do man.
Scott

cmitch
08-16-2012, 04:31 PM
Sorry to hear it, Clayton. I fully understand the local owner issue involved. Given the lack of visibility of that store, and it's owner's attitude and history, it would seem like a competitor would be able to move in and take that market away.

I wonder if the owners if Cigars and More in Bham would be interested??!!?? They were able to best several established (but snobbish) stores here. They would turn K's business in a heartbeat, with better customer response and service!

One can only hope! Hang in there. Give cigars a new role. Use as a relaxation tool. Smoke less, but pick your place and time to make it a "moment", even if you are alone.

It's tough giving up times with your friends but it was so intolerable there. It just doesn't seem anyone is interested at this time moving in.

That may be my problem. I've been having a tough time relaxing lately. Like I said, maybe it's a phase. We'll see.

hammondc
08-16-2012, 05:14 PM
I was in a similar funk about 6 months ago right after I started to slide down the other slope. Now, offspring #1 will be here in a month. I have been on a break for about 2 months. Mainly because it is too hot out right now. Still 95* at night. Finally lit one up last night and fully enjoyed it.

Put the cutter down and step back from the humidor. Take a break. Then try again.

DaBear
08-16-2012, 07:12 PM
I don't know if I'm nearing that point or just slowing way the heck down on smoking, but I used to pack in 3-4 sticks per trip to work(which ended up being most days) bare minimum. Now, thats the most I'll ever smoke, even when I'm there all day long. I can't even decide what I want to smoke anymore either. Though I do blame half the problem on IPCPR just happening and me wanting all the new stuff(:dr V Melanios and Old Man and the C)

irratebass
08-17-2012, 04:04 AM
Clayton, sorry about your weird eye issue......and my only advice to give regarding the cigars is.....take the break, put em' down they will ALWAYS be there, they aren't going anywhere.....good luck

ninjavanish
08-17-2012, 04:56 AM
Clayton, I have had more than my fair share of run ins with the owner of that store. What I learned from my time there was that there's a fantastic terrace at the Marriott with fire pits and heaters that allows smoking.

Xikar77
08-17-2012, 05:56 AM
Hey man, I've gone through this phase twice already. I am actually just coming back into it after about 3 years of maybe smoking once or twice a year. Do what you feel you have to and dont stress over it. A break can be a good thing. Especially for the wallet!!!!!! :P

Subvet642
08-17-2012, 06:29 AM
We all have seasons in life.

Do what you want. What I mean by that is, if you don't really enjoy it anymore, don't force it. Just lay 'em down, and pick them back up when you get that itch again!

:tpd: I have a bunch of hobbies and I cannot pay attention to all of them all of the time. I find myself throwing myself into one hobby at a time and sort of rotating around between them all. I collect fountain pens (for one) and I haven't bought or done any repair work in over a year, and that's okay, 'cause when I feel like paying attention to them, they'll be there. If you don't feel like smoking, don't, but don't stress over it, either.

lilninjabuddy
08-17-2012, 11:05 AM
:tpd:

HEY!

I resemble that remark....*

*I freaking hate it when people say this too, but I just couldn't resist.

Zanaspus
08-17-2012, 01:14 PM
I went through a year and a half of this recently. Just keep them, forget about them, and down the road you'll have some wonderful HTF sticks that you can then smoke or sell. :2

shibby4781
08-17-2012, 04:44 PM
I too fear the loss of interest happening this winter. Too cold to smoke outside and the owner of the closest B&M is really not my cup of tea. Guy has a great cigar knowledge and has never steered me wrong but not really someone I want to hang out with. The next closest is about 30 minutes away. Not really worth the gas just to smoke IMO. But I figure if I take that break and don't lose interest the first smoke of the spring will be that much sweeter. I say take a break and come back to it when you are ready.

mk05
08-17-2012, 07:08 PM
Congratulations sir, you are not addicted to nicotine!

I smoke - like yourself - when I'm with friends; I associate cigars with having a relaxing time. I also associate smoking with "everybody shut the hell up so I can sit here alone and stare at nature" time. If you can find something else to associate with smoking that brings a smile to your face, I think you'll start enjoying again.

cmitch
08-19-2012, 07:55 AM
Clayton, I have had more than my fair share of run ins with the owner of that store. What I learned from my time there was that there's a fantastic terrace at the Marriott with fire pits and heaters that allows smoking.
We plan on that being our go to place on Tuesday evenings this winter. TC's had an event there about a month ago with Jason. I showed up after they were gone. What a shame I missed them.

cmitch
08-19-2012, 07:59 AM
Congratulations sir, you are not addicted to nicotine!

I smoke - like yourself - when I'm with friends; I associate cigars with having a relaxing time. I also associate smoking with "everybody shut the hell up so I can sit here alone and stare at nature" time. If you can find something else to associate with smoking that brings a smile to your face, I think you'll start enjoying again.
It's a wonder. I usually smoke 1 a night and about 3 on Tuesdays. Of course, poker eats up about 4 to 5, depending on the game length. I'm in the process of planning a local herf at my place for the guys. That's when I'll find out who my true friends are. I've discovered, though, that great smokes often come at a price, prices I can't afford and it's either smoke so-so sticks or cut back. Life is too short to smoke so-so cigars.

SvilleKid
08-19-2012, 01:38 PM
Clayton, before you cut back, let me know what you like. May not can send you $10 sticks, but I can rock your humi with decent $5-7 sticks!!!

cmitch
08-19-2012, 02:52 PM
Clayton, before you cut back, let me know what you like. May not can send you $10 sticks, but I can rock your humi with decent $5-7 sticks!!!
I appreciate your kind offer but there are many others who are more deserving than I am. I have a pretty good collection from over the last couple of years that will hold me over for a while. I've been feeling a tad better about my hobby the past day or two. Stress does strange things to your perception of things, especially the palate.

Mr. Ed
08-19-2012, 04:42 PM
FWIW, the cigars will always be there. Provided you take care of them the worst that will happen is that they will get some age. As someone that's been through hot and cold periods of smoking cigars (because of work, stress, whatever) sometimes it just feels right to step back a little and dive back into it when you have more resolve/are feeling that itch again. :2

Best of luck!:tu

mk05
08-19-2012, 09:16 PM
I've discovered, though, that great smokes often come at a price, prices I can't afford and it's either smoke so-so sticks or cut back. Life is too short to smoke so-so cigars.

Well I agree with the latter, but as to the former, I would opine that you just haven't found what you're looking for. Have you tried graycliffs? Blue and blacks are excellent nc's and can be had for $5-7. AF chateau sg, epc maduro, etc.

Chemyst
08-19-2012, 10:44 PM
Nothing wrong with taking some time off.

Nothing wrong with sticking with your routine.

Nothing wrong with trying new stuff.

From my experience, eventually the malaise will pass.
Don't worry about it.

Chemyst [cool]

Mr. Ed
08-20-2012, 12:14 AM
Nothing wrong with taking some time off.

Nothing wrong with sticking with your routine.

Nothing wrong with trying new stuff.

From my experience, eventually the malaise will pass.
Don't worry about it.

Chemyst [cool]

:tpd:

Skywalker
08-20-2012, 07:29 AM
Sorry to hear!:(

pektel
08-20-2012, 08:14 AM
I also associate smoking with "everybody shut the hell up so I can sit here alone and stare at nature" time.

That's my main time to smoke. The gf/kids stay inside, and I head out on the deck. One hour of peace/reflection. I've had some great talks with myself out on that deck.

Apoco
08-20-2012, 10:08 AM
I hear you on the stress bit. I'm currently working 2 jobs at work - consistent 70+ hour work weeks really takes the desire to smoke out of me.

I've had one cigar that I REALLY enjoyed in the last 2 or 3 weeks. I sat outside, by myself, and read Lord of the Rings for 2 hours.

It'll come back around - don't sweat it too much.
Posted via Mobile Device

aaron72
08-23-2012, 01:18 PM
If the lack of the group get togethers (or quality of them) is something driving you away, there are always virtual herfs to participate in. I know it's not the same as in person, but you can participate from the comfort of home wherever you can smoke, inside or outside, and you get to meet a lot of great people from all over the world.

cmitch
08-23-2012, 02:21 PM
If the lack of the group get togethers (or quality of them) is something driving you away, there are always virtual herfs to participate in. I know it's not the same as in person, but you can participate from the comfort of home wherever you can smoke, inside or outside, and you get to meet a lot of great people from all over the world.
I hang out with a group of great guys once a week. That's what keeps me afloat. It's actually the highlight of the week. I've had to suspend all cigar purchases for a while since we just paid $1600 in insurance this week! There was a couple of WTS threads I really wanted to get sticks from BUT gotta resist. Since the only B&M in our area is one that I'm, uh, not welcome in, it makes it more difficult holding an interest or a desire for that matter. I refuse to allow myself to be mistreated by a business and it's a principle I'll not waver from.

I'm crossing my fingers for a competitor and am hoping the Cigar Room in Madison, AL decides to open a lounge here. While it's 'on the radar', it seems they've found a location east of them they'd rather develop first.

cmitch
09-03-2012, 05:27 PM
Last night, I smoked cigars with a couple of friends since our bonfire herf got cancelled due to rain. It really helps being able to chaw the fat with your buddys. Today was no exception. Great day with the family and cooked 16 gallons of chicken stew. I hope everyone else had a safe Labor day.

area51
09-04-2012, 06:51 AM
Don't get discouraged. I can't tell you how many times I've cut back and come back to cigars.

czerbe
09-04-2012, 08:39 AM
Leave them rest in your humi age a bit and come back to them when you are ready thats the beauty of this hobby. Hope all works out with your eye

TJtorpedo
09-04-2012, 06:41 PM
Yeah, nothing wrong with taking a break. I have found myself smoking "just because" or realize it even becomes something of a chore. When that happens, I just lay them down until I get the urge again.

Maybe hang out with your buds doing something else? Football season is here, and there's almost nothing better than beer and bar food and big screen TVs while BS'ing with friends.

Zane
09-04-2012, 06:45 PM
Sometimes I only smoke once every 2 weeks. Really depends on the weather.

jsnake
09-04-2012, 07:04 PM
I went through the same thing and actually ditched my entire collection and humidors. I kind of feel it again. Jut not enjoying the cigars I have smoked recently and the setting for smoking has not been ideal. I am selling a few things off but keeping what I know I really like. Just downsizing for a bit because having gone through this before I know I will come
Back around and fall in love all over again.

My left eye does the same thing. Weird! Slow down and don't do anything you might regret like selling off everything you have.