PDA

View Full Version : Used humidors, any problems?

Smooth23
08-13-2012, 12:18 PM
So I'm new. I don't have a humidor but would like to get one. I'm wondering if there are any problems getting one used that I should know about? Just looking for something small that I can leave out that will look ok in the office.

CRIMPS
08-13-2012, 01:11 PM
A couple of things I would watch out for.

1. Ask if the Humidor had housed any infused cigars. Put your nose to the test to verify that.
2. Check for a relatively tight seal. The tighter the seal, the more consistent your humidification levels will be.

mosesbotbol
08-13-2012, 01:50 PM
Make sure it has a quality humidity element and good seal. Generally well made with nice hinges, finish work, no odd smells, no “saw dust” – could be from cigar beetles. See if it’s a name brand humidor and well taken care of.

There’s no harm at all buying a used humidor. Good luck and post a picture of what you end up buying!

OLS
08-13-2012, 06:59 PM
This tends to be a hobby that splits down the middle...true believers and pedestrians.
Pedestrians are always selling out. You'll have little trouble finding something acceptable.
Try to find people here or on other forums that are reasonably near you so you can check
out the goods before buying. If it takes awhile, you can get a small tupperware container
to get you by. Check the WTS forum here, too. I have two for sale but I am a 5 hrs away.
And I am not actively selling them, so you won't find them on WTS. But if you are ever in
Memphis you can check em out.

pnoon
08-13-2012, 07:08 PM
This tends to be a hobby that splits down the middle...true believers and pedestrians.
Pedestrians are always selling out. You'll have little trouble finding something acceptable.
Try to find people here or on other forums that are reasonably near you so you can check
out the goods before buying. If it takes awhile, you can get a small tupperware container
to get you by. Check the WTS forum here, too. I have two for sale but I am a 5 hrs away.
And I am not actively selling them, so you won't find them on WTS. But if you are ever in
Memphis you can check em out.
Which you well know brand new members don't have access to.

Given time and participation here, he will. But until then the advice is misplaced.

Smooth23
08-13-2012, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like there's some things I gotta worry about. Since I'm a really busy guy and kinda live in the middle of nowhere missouri, I'll probably just buy a small 50ish humi new online.

mosesbotbol
08-14-2012, 05:30 AM
Craigslist is flooded with humidors, may get some cigars along with it.

CigarNut
08-14-2012, 06:44 AM
Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like there's some things I gotta worry about. Since I'm a really busy guy and kinda live in the middle of nowhere missouri, I'll probably just buy a small 50ish humi new online.
If you are not concerned about "looks" and just want something to protect your cigars you could go with a Tupperware (or Rubbermaid) container -- food grade only. Or you could go with a small cooler. You just need something with a decent seal. If you want you can then add a hygrometer and some beads and you are on your way with a very nice set up.

The advantages to these solutions are cost and they keep cigars very well. These containers allow you to get something a little bigger as you will quickly outgrow a 50 count :)

MajorCaptSilly
08-14-2012, 07:27 AM
If you go for a new humidor and try ebay, be careful. Many of the cheap humidors being sold there are not made well and don't have any Spanish cedar other than the trays.

MCS

jluck
08-14-2012, 09:52 AM
I look daily, Theres good deals to be had. I just got this one,I wanted something bigger but for 150 with humi system it was a good deal IMO.
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=57416
http://imageshack.us/a/img825/3459/fuegotower003.jpg

AECUSN
08-18-2012, 11:51 PM
Here is a great deal... www.cigarsinternational.com/say126

You get a decent starter humidor and 10 pretty decent cigars for $30! The 10 cigars are:

- Cohiba Red Dot Robusto (5x49)
- Hoyo Excalibur Epicure (5.2x50)
- La Gloria Cubana Serie R #5 (5.5x54)
- Macanudo Hyde Park (5.5x49)
- CAO Black Bengal (6x50)
- Punch Pita (6.1x50)
- Gurkha Triple Ligero Toro (6.2x50)
- Torano Noventa Santiago (5x50)
- Garo Double Habano (4.7x52)
- Padilla 1948 Ed. Limitada Robusto (5x50)