PDA

View Full Version : Pitching Behind an L-Screen?

Starscream
08-10-2012, 06:17 PM
I can throw strikes all day to my oldest son, but the minute I get behind an L-screen there seems to be a mental block where I can't throw strikes to him. I throw them way outside and when I attempt to correct it, I tend to throw at his shins. Anybody got any tips or advice for overcoming a mental block from pitching behind an L-screen?
My reaction times are getting slower (in my mid 30s, so I'm just not that enthusiastic about throwing BP to my kid without using an L-screen, but it's just not working.

Any baseball guys here that might can give me some help?

chaase321
08-11-2012, 07:30 AM
Andy, I used to throw bp a lot when I was coaching. Throwing behind an L screen took a little getting used to buy it will soon become second nature. I have a couple tips.

- take a couple steps back, you can see around the screen more and when you step and throw you will naturally come behind the screen.
- look through the screen just tithe side of the poll, when you try to look around the screen you pull your head body and everything else to the side (which is probably why you are throwing outside). You arm doesn't come through right where your head is, so looking through the screen will NOT make you throw in the screen.
- sometimes it helps to start by standing sideways just behind the screen and throwing without stepping (think of it as if you are standing with feet and arms spread and your hands point at second base and home plate) just bend and throw and your natural motion will again pull you behind the screen.

Now, a tip for your boy...tell him to hit you in the head every pitch. After you get the hang of getting behind the screen nothing will feel better than him lacing one right back into it and you think "double for sure, my boy"

Good luck brother!

Fordman4ever
08-11-2012, 08:09 AM
sounds like great advice to me. I couldn't have said it better myself

md4958
08-11-2012, 09:07 AM
sounds like great advice to me. I couldn't have said it better myself

:tpd:

Starscream
08-11-2012, 04:31 PM
Andy, I used to throw bp a lot when I was coaching. Throwing behind an L screen took a little getting used to buy it will soon become second nature. I have a couple tips.

- take a couple steps back, you can see around the screen more and when you step and throw you will naturally come behind the screen.
- look through the screen just tithe side of the poll, when you try to look around the screen you pull your head body and everything else to the side (which is probably why you are throwing outside). You arm doesn't come through right where your head is, so looking through the screen will NOT make you throw in the screen.
- sometimes it helps to start by standing sideways just behind the screen and throwing without stepping (think of it as if you are standing with feet and arms spread and your hands point at second base and home plate) just bend and throw and your natural motion will again pull you behind the screen.

Now, a tip for your boy...tell him to hit you in the head every pitch. After you get the hang of getting behind the screen nothing will feel better than him lacing one right back into it and you think "double for sure, my boy"

Good luck brother!Thanks for the info, Cole!