PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever lay laminate flooring?

smitty81
08-06-2012, 12:07 PM
I am thinking about doing a little project but I have no expierence using this stuff.

How much of a challange is it?

I'm talking about the wooden planks, like hardwood flooring.

Remo
08-06-2012, 12:07 PM
Easy, all tongue and groove, a little cutting here and there but fairly straight forward. If we are talking laminate wood?

smitty81
08-06-2012, 12:09 PM
Easy, all tongue and groove, a little cutting here and there but fairly straight forward. If we are talking laminate wood?

yea

pektel
08-06-2012, 12:09 PM
Yep. Quite a bit. Very easy, and very basic tools. Chop saw, circular saw, jigsaw. If you have access to one, a jamb saw is definitely a plus.

The first couple rows gives you the hang of it, so that part normally takes the longest. Remember to measure twice, cut once. :D

Ogre
08-06-2012, 12:10 PM
Make sure the floor is clean and level. Don't rush it and you will be fine.

pektel
08-06-2012, 12:11 PM
Doesnt' even really need to be level. Just flat lol.

Have you checked into LVT (luxury vinyl tile)? Installation similar to laminate, but you don't have to worry about water. I sell more of this than traditional wood laminate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo01Sg8f0qg

smitty81
08-06-2012, 12:12 PM
I am thinking of putting this down in a camper. (pretty small area)

Chainsaw13
08-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Use a scrap piece of flooring, or you can always buy one of those plastic blocks. That and a rubber mallet will help tighten all your gaps after you put each piece in.

BlkDrew
08-06-2012, 12:30 PM

Have you checked into LVT (luxury vinyl tile)? Installation similar to laminate, but you don't have to worry about water. I sell more of this than traditional wood laminate:

We used something similar on our hospice floor at the hospital.

pektel
08-06-2012, 12:38 PM
Right. I'm guessing in a commercial/institutional application, they may have went with a glue down type installation method. Though, I do know some of my floating LVT's carry a 6 year commercial warranty.

smitty81
08-06-2012, 12:42 PM

It has decent vinyl flooring in it now, I was trying to stiffen up the floor a bit using the laminate wood.

smitty81
08-06-2012, 12:45 PM
How do I secure the laminate wood down, glue?

Or do I just leave it loose over the existing floor?

Also, do I go right against the wall?

pektel
08-06-2012, 12:49 PM
All laminate woods currently available (that I've seen) are floating. They lock into each other, but are not secured to the floor/walls. The expansion gap will vary depending on type/thickness of laminate used.

I doubt a laminate floor will stiffen your exisitng floor, since it is not attached in any way to it. For that, you would need to go to an engineered wood, but check to see how those handle the temp/humidity swings of a camper.

smitty81
08-06-2012, 12:57 PM
All laminate woods currently available (that I've seen) are floating. They lock into each other, but are not secured to the floor/walls. The expansion gap will vary depending on type/thickness of laminate used.

I doubt a laminate floor will stiffen your exisitng floor, since it is not attached in any way to it. For that, you would need to go to an engineered wood, but check to see how those handle the temp/humidity swings of a camper.

I'm not looking to take all the stress off, just looking to even it out a bit more. The laminate wood would stiffen it up better than vinyl I would think?

I dunno, just seemed like a good idea to me.

pektel
08-06-2012, 01:02 PM
Well, most laminate floors require a very flat floor (1/8" variance per 10' of floor or less). Otherwise joints can peak/valley and wear out the floor quickly. Are you saying the floor itself is more uneven than the 1/8" per 10 feet, and hoping the laminate floor will just even out the dips in your existing floor? If so, manufacturers will not honor any warranty.

pektel
08-06-2012, 01:11 PM
Another thing that just came to mind. Laminate floor (as long as the substrate requirements are met) is probably a great choice for a camper. Since it isn't anchored, you shouldn't have to worry about the flexing a camper will go through while being transported.

smitty81
08-06-2012, 01:13 PM
Well, most laminate floors require a very flat floor (1/8" variance per 10' of floor or less). Otherwise joints can peak/valley and wear out the floor quickly. Are you saying the floor itself is more uneven than the 1/8" per 10 feet, and hoping the laminate floor will just even out the dips in your existing floor? If so, manufacturers will not honor any warranty.

No, the guy that had it said there was a soft spot in the floor. He fixed it............

The floor is pretty flat. I was just looking to have something over it that would be some what stiff to help absorb the stress of walking.

The vinyl is soft and thin, all your weight goes right through. I would think with the laminate since its harder and thicker, it would disperse the stress and weight better.

As far as the warranty goes, I'm not concerned about it. Its such a small space.

jluck
08-06-2012, 02:07 PM
Soft spot = water damage or rot.

Caveat emptor:tu

pektel
08-06-2012, 02:17 PM
+1. I'd tear up the vinyl, replace the damaged section of subfloor, then install laminate. Also be SURE to check the joists (or whatever supports the floor in a camper).

smitty81
08-06-2012, 05:11 PM
+1. I'd tear up the vinyl, replace the damaged section of subfloor, then install laminate. Also be SURE to check the joists (or whatever supports the floor in a camper).

Like I just posted, he did tear it apart and fix it.

Anywho, you guys told me what I wanted to know.

Thanks.

replicant_argent
08-06-2012, 05:20 PM
Use a scrap piece of flooring, or you can always buy one of those plastic blocks. That and a rubber mallet will help tighten all your gaps after you put each piece in.

You don't want to start banging on engineered "click" flooring.

replicant_argent
08-06-2012, 05:21 PM
Oh and to answer the question in the title of the thread?

Once. But I got splinters something fierce.

jluck
08-06-2012, 05:40 PM
Like I just posted, he did tear it apart and fix it.

Anywho, you guys told me what I wanted to know.

Thanks.

Fixing the problem is one thing, Fixing what caused said problem is a whole different thing.:2

smitty81
08-06-2012, 05:42 PM
Fixing the problem is one thing, Fixing what caused said problem is a whole different thing.:2

its 40 years old. Normal wear and tear.

Bigsam
08-07-2012, 10:34 AM
What you are doing is called A floating floor. Be sure to place a quality piece of styrofoam padding underneath do not go for the cheap stuff. You need to glue all the tongues and grooves together, and be sure to leave a 3/8 inch gap for expansion and then apply a shoe mold which will usualy come in the same as the flooring. Its easy and you should have no problems. Also break the joints 8 to 12 inches no less.

Digs
08-07-2012, 10:37 AM
Quarter round will be your friend :r

pektel
08-07-2012, 10:44 AM
What you are doing is called A floating floor. Be sure to place a quality piece of styrofoam padding underneath do not go for the cheap stuff. You need to glue all the tongues and grooves together, and be sure to leave a 3/8 inch gap for expansion and then apply a shoe mold which will usualy come in the same as the flooring. Its easy and you should have no problems. Also break the joints 8 to 12 inches no less.

The old floating floors were glue together. The current ones on the market are not. They have a locking system where the planks lock into each other at the joint. Do not try to glue a floor that's meant to be glueless.

Bigsam
08-08-2012, 01:21 PM
Yes you are right the current ones are not thought about it after I posted.