PDA

View Full Version : Am I missing something about CC's

Jon11
07-28-2012, 11:29 AM
I smoked 6 CC's over the last 2 weeks and the whole time found myself wanting the NC's that I usually smoke. I've had them in my humi for some time and planned on resting my palate for about a week, and then smoking all of them w/o mixing with NC's. Well i finally did this and although they were OK, they didnt wow me in any way. And no they werent cuban dog rockets, they were all highly rated and considered some of the top CC's. I know alot of responses will be the common response...smoke what you like and like what you smoke. Besides that response, what am I missing? Do any of you guys enjoy NC's more than CC's? I would like to really enjoy CC's, but all that I've smoked have been nothing special, and I'd rather some of my standbys from Padron and LP instead. What am I missing?
Jon

ChicagoWhiteSox
07-28-2012, 11:32 AM
What were the cigars? Do you know for sure they were legit?

kelmac07
07-28-2012, 11:33 AM
Jon...I'm on of the few on the board that prefers NCs to CCs every day of the week. I have smoked about 50-60 CCs, all different kinds and have not found one that really WOWED me. I gave up a long time ago and enjoy smoking my NCs. :2

Bax
07-28-2012, 11:36 AM
Without knowing what kind of cigars you like it's kind of hard to say. I smoke about 50/50 now and I enjoy both. I lean more twards medium body smokes so CC's are right up my alley. If you like strong smokes you might find them weak by comparison. What are your favorite NC's? What were the CC's you tried? I can tell you that if you have a party short that's on or a nicely aged Cohiba Lancero that you'll be having a WOW moment.

Ogre
07-28-2012, 11:37 AM
You also have to take age of the cigar into consideration. Some CCs need quite a few years to mature.

Mugen910
07-28-2012, 11:42 AM
Some people love filet mignon and I prefer a rib eye

don't get into the hype of it all...just smoke what you enjoy.

Jon11
07-28-2012, 11:43 AM
What were the cigars? Do you know for sure they were legit?

I'm positive that they were legit....they were Ramon Allones, Bolivar, Cohiba, Romeo y Julietta and I forgot the other 2. Recieved from a good pipe smoking buddy who used to be heavy into cigars.

Jon11
07-28-2012, 11:47 AM
You also have to take age of the cigar into consideration. Some CCs need quite a few years to mature.

He wrote the years on each one of the bags. None were later than 2009...if I remember correctly one was an 06, and a couple from 08, maybe one from 04.

Sauer Grapes
07-28-2012, 11:50 AM
Jon,

Smoke what you enjoy. Tastes do change, so don't write cubans off completely, but you probably just prefer the NC profile. CC's usually have more subtleties to their flavor profile, but that's not always the case. There are a wide range of cigars from both.

I was primarily a NC smoker for years. I still like them a lot, but now I have started preferring the more subtle and cleaner flavors offered by some CCs.

Ogre
07-28-2012, 11:51 AM
Maybe Mugen is right. You may just be a meat and taters kind of guy.

bobarian
07-28-2012, 11:59 AM
Do you exhale through your nose? As was stated most Cuban cigars are more medium so if you like Nicaraguan or Honduran most CC's will seem very light, especially if you dont exhale through your nose. CC's also tend to be more subtle and complex and the flavors dont come through on the tongue. Although I still enjoy some NC's, I find most to be very one dimensional and in your face. :2

md4958
07-28-2012, 12:00 PM
Well after smoking a whopping 6 and not liking them you can pretty much write off CCs.

YES, you are missing something. The flavors, both subtle and in your face just cannot be replicated by NCs.

1. Your friend might be heavily into cigars, that doesnt mean his cigars are the real deal. I have a friend that just recently had to tell one of his friends that his entire collection, hundreds and hundreds of cigars, were all fakes. This individual has the coin to buy and sell my collection 1000x over, so obviously money doesnt mean squat if you dont have a good source.

2. Your palate has been fried by and is still used to the power of NCs. Dont smoke anything for a two to three weeks. Then smoke a real Havana. You should be able to get all sorts of flavors.

3. As Larry mentioned CCs need a couple years to come into their own (most of the time). Some require a decade or more to become smokable (ERDM Choix Supreme IMO). Can you identify the years of the cigars you smoked?

4. Retrohaling... It opened up a whole new world of flavors for me

5. Smoke what you like... if you then still dont like CCs, good for you! Youve avoided a very slippery slope.

Most NCs to me now taste, harsh, bitter and foul. The only ones I can tolerate are Esencias, My Fathers, and some Tatuajes.

The Poet
07-28-2012, 12:01 PM
CC's usually have more subtleties to their flavor profile, but that's not always the case. There are a wide range of cigars from both.

I was primarily a NC smoker for years. I still like them a lot, but now I have started preferring the more subtle and cleaner flavors offered by some CCs.

There it is. Me, I smoked NCs almost exclusively, due mainly to price and availability considerations, but truly enjoy the occasional CC. To me, the difference is similar to wines, with many NCs being a bold cabernet sauvignon whose body and depth can overwhelm some, and CCs being closer to a pinot noir, whose subtlety can completely underwhelm those without the palate for them.

But that's why they bottle both, and why they produce different cigar blends too.

688sonarmen
07-28-2012, 12:02 PM
From my small sampling size I have found most to be ok cigars that I would not chase down. But I have found some to be the best cigars I have ever smoked, complex and flavors that I know but not like I've had in cigars before like bananas, cream, fruit and all. If I could just smoke those CC's and find them then I would only smoke CC's, but I can't and strike out often. Even when I find the same vitolas same year they are not the same and I am let down. Funny because I am smoking a great one right now that is limited (PSD3 2001) what I was talking about at 1st was regular production sticks. PSD4, Boli PC, Party Short, PSP2 ETC, good cigars and some are great but most are just good.

pektel
07-28-2012, 12:06 PM
If you don't like them, then you aren't missing anything. :2

Jon11
07-28-2012, 12:51 PM
Well after smoking a whopping 6 and not liking them you can pretty much write off CCs.

YES, you are missing something. The flavors, both subtle and in your face just cannot be replicated by NCs.

1. Your friend might be heavily into cigars, that doesnt mean his cigars are the real deal. I have a friend that just recently had to tell one of his friends that his entire collection, hundreds and hundreds of cigars, were all fakes. This individual has the coin to buy and sell my collection 1000x over, so obviously money doesnt mean squat if you dont have a good source.

Yes Moe they were definitely real. He actually gets them from a reputable source that alot of you guys get yours from. I won't write them off, but I guarantee when I smoked only one Padron 1964 and only one tat black, and only one LP #9 I instantly loved them. Maybe my tastes will change.

pnoon
07-28-2012, 12:52 PM
I'm positive that they were legit....they were Ramon Allones, Bolivar, Cohiba, Romeo y Julietta and I forgot the other 2. Recieved from a good pipe smoking buddy who used to be heavy into cigars.

I don't know your buddy but I also know plenty of people "heavy into cigars" who wouldn't know a legit Cuban cigar if it bit them on the ass.

pnoon
07-28-2012, 12:54 PM

2. Your palate has been fried by and is still used to the power of NCs. Dont smoke anything for a two to three weeks. Then smoke a real Havana. You should be able to get all sorts of flavors.

3. As Larry mentioned CCs need a couple years to come into their own (most of the time). Some require a decade or more to become smokable (ERDM Choix Supreme IMO). Can you identify the years of the cigars you smoked?

5. Smoke what you like... if you then still dont like CCs, good for you! Youve avoided a very slippery slope.

Most NCs to me now taste, harsh, bitter and foul. The only ones I can tolerate are Esencias, My Fathers, and some Tatuajes.
Moe is wise.

Dunkel
07-28-2012, 01:07 PM
If you don't like them, then you aren't missing anything. :2

This man speaks the truth.

jluck
07-28-2012, 01:13 PM
Are you setting your expectations too high? I know the first time for me I really expected two unicorns to fly me a hammock down from the heavens and float me to utopia....that has not happened yet, Close but no unicorns. I have VERY limited CC experience but it has ranged from OK to wonderful. I don't see ever committing to one (CC or NC's) but I plan on trying ever damn one I can of both to formulate my opinion.

Jon11
07-28-2012, 01:16 PM
I don't know your buddy but I also know plenty of people "heavy into cigars" who wouldn't know a legit Cuban cigar if it bit them on the ass.

OK they were fake then.:sl

Jon11
07-28-2012, 01:19 PM
Are you setting your expectations too high? I know the first time for me I really expected two unicorns to fly me a hammock down from the heavens and float me to utopia....that has not happened yet, Close but no unicorns. I have VERY limited CC experience but it has ranged from OK to wonderful. I don't see ever committing to one (CC or NC's) but I plan on trying ever damn one I can of both to formulate my opinion.

That's funny...I definitely had high expectations. So this could have been a small part of the problem.

pnoon
07-28-2012, 01:25 PM

:sh

md4958
07-28-2012, 01:34 PM

now, now... Peter's point IS one of concern.

Many "connoisseurs" of have been duped into buying fake Havanas. If they have never had anything but fakes to compare them to, how could they ever know?

Were your friend's cigars not authentic... which is not to say that they ARE fake, Im just saying for arguments sake, he would definitely not be the first person to be fooled.

SvilleKid
07-28-2012, 01:34 PM
Some people love filet mignon and I prefer a rib eye

don't get into the hype of it all...just smoke what you enjoy.

You know, in just about 100% of the cigar likes/dislikes thread, this is the best advise and analogy that there is. Simple, accurate and to the point. Bump, bro.

Mugen910
07-28-2012, 01:39 PM

Pnoon wasn't saying your friend doesn't know his stuff...just pointing out that there have been instances of it.

icehog3
07-28-2012, 01:43 PM
Do you exhale through your nose? As was stated most Cuban cigars are more medium so if you like Nicaraguan or Honduran most CC's will seem very light, especially if you dont exhale through your nose. CC's also tend to be more subtle and complex and the flavors dont come through on the tongue. Although I still enjoy some NC's, I find most to be very one dimensional and in your face. :2

Didn't see your answer to this. If you don't nose-smoke, then you probably are missing something in CCs.

And....yup...smoke what you like, like what you smoke.

The Poet
07-28-2012, 01:51 PM
:sh

now, now... Peter's point IS one of concern.

Many "connoisseurs" of have been duped into buying fake Havanas. If they have never had anything but fakes to compare them to, how could they ever know?

Were your friend's cigars not authentic... which is not to say that they ARE fake, Im just saying for arguments sake, he would definitely not be the first person to be fooled.

Pnoon wasn't saying your friend doesn't know his stuff...just pointing out that there have been instances of it.

I hear you, brothers, as it's true, true, and true. However, I do have a problem with the accepted premise around here that, if someone does not like a CC he's smoked, then he probably got a fake one. One does not follow the other.

Jon11
07-28-2012, 01:53 PM
Didn't see your answer to this. If you don't nose-smoke, then you probably are missing something in CCs.

And....yup...smoke what you like, like what you smoke.

I absolutely retrohaled. Anytime a cigar is in the medium to mild range I always retrohale....and sometimes full-bodied, but not the whole way through if its too spicy.

pnoon
07-28-2012, 01:56 PM
I hear you, brothers, as it's true, true, and true. However, I do have a problem with the accepted premise around here that, if someone does not like a CC he's smoked, then he probably got a fake one. One does not follow the other.
Of course not. But there is not an accepted premise here about fakes. There is a preponderance of fake Cuban cigars out there so it just makes sense to ask the question.

Jon11
07-28-2012, 01:57 PM

This is true. I wish I could say that they were fake, then I wouldnt be as disappointed. But unfortunately, I'm a 100% sure they were real:(

md4958
07-28-2012, 01:59 PM
This is true. I wish I could say that they were fake, then I wouldnt be as disappointed. But unfortunately, I'm a 100% sure they were real:(

Well, if you dont like them, and your buddy is looking to dump his collection, feel free to pm me a list of what he has :tu

:D

The Poet
07-28-2012, 02:00 PM
Of course not. But there is not an accepted premise here about fakes. There is a preponderance of fake Cuban cigars out there so it just makes sense to ask the question.

With all due respect, I point out the question was asked, and answered. Still, this did not stop the discussion.

;s , but them's the facts.

md4958
07-28-2012, 02:02 PM
With all due respect, I point out the question was asked, and answered. Still, this did not stop the discussion.

True, however, how can the OP verify that they were in fact real, if has such limited experience with them. Six to be exact, all different marcas.

No offense Jon ;s

longknocker
07-28-2012, 02:05 PM
Let's Put It This Way: The Best CC I've Ever Smoked Is 100X Better Than The Best NC I've Ever Smoked. :):tu

The Poet
07-28-2012, 02:06 PM
And still. That's it, I'm outta here.

LasciviousXXX
07-28-2012, 02:06 PM
They may just not be to your liking OP. I would advise you to give some more a try before deciding they aren't for you. However, as some have said NC's may just be more appealing for you.

Edit - Why don't you shoot me a PM with your addy Jon and maybe I can send you something that would change your mind.

pnoon
07-28-2012, 02:07 PM

The FACT was that Jon was positive they were legit because he got them from a friend who was heavy into cigars. I was pointing out another FACT that there are plenty of folks who are heavy into cigars who have fakes. I am fairly certain (FACT) threads are started specifically for ongoing discussion.

If you believe discussion should stop, use the Report Post feature to request the thread be closed.

With all due respect.

md4958
07-28-2012, 02:08 PM

Thank God.

Jon11
07-28-2012, 02:08 PM
True, however, how can the OP verify that they were in fact real, if has such limited experience with them. Six to be exact, all different marcas.

No offense Jon ;s

Your probably right Moe, again they probably were fake.:sl

pnoon
07-28-2012, 02:09 PM
Thank you.
At least now the discussion with Jon can proceed.

pnoon
07-28-2012, 02:10 PM

Hard to know what you believe at this point.

md4958
07-28-2012, 02:11 PM

Again... not what Im saying.

But would you agree that your experience with Havanas is limited?

You say the vendor is somebody that many of us buy from... please feel free to PM me, or one of the mods (Pnoon, Icehog and Lascivious are already in this thread) the name of the vendor. That would probably put the fake discussion to rest.

pnoon
07-28-2012, 02:19 PM
Yes Moe they were definitely real. He actually gets them from a reputable source that alot of you guys get yours from. I won't write them off, but I guarantee when I smoked only one Padron 1964 and only one tat black, and only one LP #9 I instantly loved them. Maybe my tastes will change.

Again... not what Im saying.

But would you agree that your experience with Havanas is limited?

You say the vendor is somebody that many of us buy from... please feel free to PM me, or one of the mods (Pnoon, Icehob and Lascivious are already in this thread) the name of the vendor. That would probably put the fake discussion to rest.

Jon, I missed reading your post about the vendor your buddy buys from. Moe's post had me retread the whole thread. Take him up on his offer. Then we can eliminate the question of authenticity from the equation.

LasciviousXXX
07-28-2012, 02:20 PM
They may just not be to your liking OP. I would advise you to give some more a try before deciding they aren't for you. However, as some have said NC's may just be more appealing for you.

Edit - Why don't you shoot me a PM with your addy Jon and maybe I can send you something that would change your mind.

:tu

md4958
07-28-2012, 02:20 PM
:tu

Can I shoot you my addy too??? :D

LasciviousXXX
07-28-2012, 02:21 PM
Can I shoot you my addy too??? :D

You have more cigars than I do :lr

md4958
07-28-2012, 02:21 PM
You have more cigars than I do :lr

But yours are way better!

maninblack
07-28-2012, 02:23 PM
Jon...I'm on of the few on the board that prefers NCs to CCs every day of the week. I have smoked about 50-60 CCs, all different kinds and have not found one that really WOWED me. I gave up a long time ago and enjoy smoking my NCs. :2

This.

CigarNut
07-28-2012, 02:36 PM
Don't force it. If you don't like them that is OK. Maybe your friend's cigars were fake maybe not. If you want to give CC's another chance you can try to get some CC's from a legimate source or you can continue enjoying your NC's. As many have said Smoke what you like, like what you smoke.

I moved from being an NC smoker to a mostly smoking CC's. However, I still enjoy NC's -- just not as frrequently as I used to. All cigars have their place.

markem
07-28-2012, 02:45 PM
The whole NC v. CC thing has come to be a bit of a misnomer. At one time, lumping all NCs together might have made sense, but with the amazing brands and the recognition of individual countries, this seems more and more artificial over time. This is merely my opinion.

Many people whom I greatly respect here prefer Nicaraguan cigars over CCs. This is a much more point specific distinguishment that I can really relate to. As is my one friend who likes Nicaraguan cigars with Equadoran wrappers. This, I get. The whole NC v. CC debate is one that I can't really relate to anymore. But that is just me.

But at the end of the day, smoke what makes you happy. Anyone who doesn't agree with that simple statement, well, they ain't welcome on my patio.

md4958
07-28-2012, 03:18 PM
Vendor verified as a legit source.

Brandon
07-28-2012, 03:39 PM
Ignorance is bliss. I wish I could be happy drinking cheap beer, liquor, and wine... and smoking 4 dollar "domestics" that I could walk into a store down the road and find on the shelves any day of the week....

ChicagoWhiteSox
07-28-2012, 03:41 PM
Ignorance is bliss. I wish I could be happy drinking cheap beer, liquor, and wine... and smoking 4 dollar "domestics" that I could walk into a store down the road and find on the shelves any day of the week....

:r:r Me too

Adriftpanda
07-28-2012, 05:36 PM

Sounds good. I'll pm you my addy as well. :tu

longknocker
07-28-2012, 06:10 PM
Sounds good. I'll pm you my addy as well. :tu

:r:D:tu

shilala
07-28-2012, 06:37 PM
Jon, Mac and I have talked at length about this exact topic. I was in the same place as he was up until the last year or so.
I took a break from smoking, mostly due to health. I liked the nastiest, strongest, darkest, most delicious maduros I could jam in my face. When it came to cc's, they just had nothing for me. They were entirely too subtle and sissified, I needed a nic puro or dominican puro that was hella strong just to satisfy my tastes. Mostly it was because of my 2 can a day snuff habit, Mac chews too.
Anyways, after taking that break, Clayton gifted me a fiver of cc's that I'd been holding onto and I laid into them. They were fabulous. I loved them all and I could appreciate them because I had some of my senses back.

I still wasn't a convert, not by any means. But that opened the door. Fast forward a couple years and I found myself smoking less and less nc's, well, because quite frankly, they sucked ass. They've been rapidly going downhill for quite some time so far as I'm concerned. There are still some excellent smokes, but where once there were hundreds of talented and complex blends, it was a struggle to find anything new that wasn't boring.

I took that opportunity to go back and rediscover cc's and I've not stopped since. While most guys enjoy older cc's, I like freshies. They're new and strong and full of flavor. They keep well, are more sought after the older they get, and a 4 year old box of cc's is generally just about as strong as it was new. Not so with nc's, or at least most of them.
When my cc's get too old for me to really enjoy them, I know someone else is going to go absolutely gaga over them, and that makes me happy. I can swap my old stuff for new stuff. I can't lose. With nc's, even Padrons suffer after 5 or 6 years, becoming far too mild for me to really enjoy.

All this to say, you don't have to like anything you don't want. If cc's aren't tripping your trigger now, they probably will later. Do be aware that at this point in the game, so far as cc's are concerned, you really don't know anything. That's not a dig or a jab, it's just a matter of fact. It's a good thing, too. You have that whole other world waiting for you when you're ready. I'd be willing to bet a fiver that when you get there, you're gonna find you enjoy them greatly. I didn't think I'd ever see that day after smoking a couple hundred cc's, but I never gave up on them. Despite my current feelings on the state of nc's, I haven't given up on them, either.
I just like cigars. And I smoke what I like. :tu

PCR
07-28-2012, 06:47 PM

+1... Age on CC's is a must.

CRIMPS
07-28-2012, 10:05 PM
+1... Age on CC's is a must.

A must. I humbly disagree.

To the OP, I would suggest being a little more open minded to the feedback that you requested. You seem to be quick with the trigger. Just saying...

Hope you find what you are looking for.

ApexAZ
07-28-2012, 10:06 PM
My only cc experience is from DBall BTT and there were some I really loved, some that were decent and some I wouldn't care to revisit. I can say that the ones I really loved were better than any NC I've ever had. I had a Bolivar Exclusivo Canada on independence day that is to date the best cigar I've ever had. Its also the only cigar > $20 where I felt it was worth the cost. I got it through a friend of a friend, so I suppose it could have been fake, but I don't really have any reason to believe it wasn't based on the flavors. If it was, I was still very pleased with it.

DAFU
07-28-2012, 10:35 PM
I'm guessing the majority of members started with NCs, as myself. Some fall off the cliff and others like me, slide at various speeds. Finding CCs that you enjoy is usually the first step to picking up a bit of speed. Trying to duplicate your enjoyable smoking experience consistently can be challenging given the inconsistencies of CC's from year to year and vitola to vitola. Eventually it's usually all in with no way of turning back though. Took me a couple of years and now I only smoke a few NCs, maybe a couple VSGs and DPGs a year. That said, I can say I am particular about what CCs I'm smoking; a stinker is a stinker in my book, CC or not. Enjoy your journey and smoke what you like!