PDA

View Full Version : Any appliance gurus here?

hammondc
07-26-2012, 01:39 PM
Kenmore 70 series washer. Fills with hot water, then nothing happens. No agitation, no noise. Nothing. Any ideas?

BlkDrew
07-26-2012, 01:42 PM
Front or top load?

T.G
07-26-2012, 01:50 PM
Check the microswitch that senses if the lid is open or closed. They typically fail in the electrically open position, so the washer will think that the lid is open and won't agitate.

bobarian
07-26-2012, 02:06 PM
Sounds like its busted to me. :sh

The Poet
07-26-2012, 02:16 PM
Sounds like its busted to me. :sh

:tpd: :D

hammondc
07-26-2012, 02:17 PM
top load. Adam, that switch was my first though. I can depress it manually. Nothing happens. I do not have a multimeter to check it either.

BlkDrew
07-26-2012, 02:21 PM
top load. Adam, that switch was my first though. I can depress it manually. Nothing happens. I do not have a multimeter to check it either.

Disconnect the wires from the switch and put them together, bypassing the switch.

07-26-2012, 02:21 PM
Find the model number. It'll be long say 16 alpha numeric characters. Then go to SearsPartsDirect.com and punch it in. It'll have multiple diagrams with part numbers. If you can identify the broken part most of the time you can order it on eBay or Amazon at a huge discount compared to Sears prices.

I had a similar thing happen to my Maytag. Ended up being a bad pump pulley. It's a metal pulley moving a plastic finned disc inside a plastic housing. Bearing broke and nothing would move. I would empty it if possible, then tip it back so you can see the bottom. Make sure it's unplugged first. You should see 3 pulleys with one belt around all three. One will be the motor, one the pump, and the other is the agitator. You should be able to move all three by pulling on the belt. If not, take the belt off and see which one is broken or siezed.

My best guess anyway. Sears had my pump for $70+. Got it on Amazon for $22.

Edited to say. I'd try manually depressing the lid switch first. Easiest possible cause.

T.G
07-26-2012, 02:32 PM

The switches fail internally, you might be able to depress them but they still won't make contact.

Get a multimeter - you don't need anything fancy, just something that tests continuity. $5-7 at the hardware store.

T.G
07-26-2012, 02:33 PM
Disconnect the wires from the switch and put them together, bypassing the switch.

That's a Darwin award waiting to happen.

The Poet
07-26-2012, 02:38 PM

Why? What's the problem playing with hot wires with your arm in a metal tub full of water? :confused:

BlkDrew
07-26-2012, 02:50 PM

Ok, agreed.

hammondc
07-26-2012, 03:09 PM

Ha ha ha. Thats what I just did. Jumpered the 2 hot-wires into the switch Works now. Hell with safety. Time for a beer and a Gurkha. I feel manly.

:noon:noon:noon

Ashcan Bill
07-26-2012, 04:15 PM
Ha ha ha. Thats what I just did. Jumpered the 2 hot-wires into the switch Works now. Hell with safety. Time for a beer and a Gurkha. I feel manly.

:noon:noon:noon

Nothing like the sweet stench of success! :tu