PDA

View Full Version : My Friend is in Cuba

E.J.
07-24-2012, 06:19 PM
Not really a Habanos discussion, as much as a cigar Mecca post. As someone from the States, we don't get to venture to Cuba as a quick vacation trip. He is there with a Public Radio tour deal & I jealous as Hell. He's a cigar smoker, but I question if he will take full advantage to what he is being afforded. He'll pay $7-8 for a Benchmade here(yep, Utah taxes) but I really don't know if he'll pay $25(?) for a Behike there?

I am not a wealth of knowledge, but advised to ask the shops and smoke a Behike 52 for me.... I look forward to his report and pics. I hope one day to make that trip.

He has been told, though they can bring back limited items, cigars are not on that list.

icehog3
07-24-2012, 06:28 PM
5He has been told, though they can bring back limited items, cigars are not on that list.

Bummer. :(

Whipper Snapper
07-24-2012, 06:29 PM
Mayhaps one day when I'm not a whippersnapper, the embargo will end.

MrWolf55
07-24-2012, 06:32 PM
I would give my right arm to visit Cuba someday. Not just for the cigars and to visit the El Laguito and Partagas factories and all that; but to just see all the gorgeous beaches and old architecture and so forth - picture myself being back there in the 30's-40's when it was a playground for mobsters and social elite. Of course, I'm sure most of it is run down as most of it's inhabitants live in horrible poverty. But if nothing else I'm sure I would return home with a much greater appreciation for the things I've been blessed with.

Hope your friend has a great time. Would love to see some pics of his trip.

Whipper Snapper
07-24-2012, 06:33 PM
Perhaps I should change my original post. Mayhaps one day when I'm not a whippersnapper, the terrible oppression that takes place in cuba will end.

RWhisenand
07-24-2012, 09:28 PM
I would give my right arm to visit Cuba someday. Not just for the cigars and to visit the El Laguito and Partagas factories and all that; but to just see all the gorgeous beaches and old architecture and so forth - picture myself being back there in the 30's-40's when it was a playground for mobsters and social elite. Of course, I'm sure most of it is run down as most of it's inhabitants live in horrible poverty. But if nothing else I'm sure I would return home with a much greater appreciation for the things I've been blessed with.

Hope your friend has a great time. Would love to see some pics of his trip.

Nothing's stopping you from going, you just can't fly there from the US. Plan a trip to the Dominican Republic, then take a hop on over to Cuba. We are planning a trip to the DR this Dec for my wife's work, so I might get a chance to scope things out for such an endevear.

dozer
08-06-2012, 02:50 PM
Pretty sure you can bring back up to two boxes of 25 cigars ea. At least when I went, that was the customs rule. Though, they didn't even check. Be aware of fake cohibas everywhere...the locals will try to pawn off "glass-top" cohibas to tourists.

If I were to go back, I would be sure to pick up some Havana Club 12 anos...

GreekGodX
08-06-2012, 02:53 PM
He has been told, though they can bring back limited items, cigars are not on that list.

Bummer. :(

Big Bummer. :( :(

massphatness
08-06-2012, 03:51 PM
Pretty sure you can bring back up to two boxes of 25 cigars ea. At least when I went, that was the customs rule. Though, they didn't even check. Be aware of fake cohibas everywhere...the locals will try to pawn off "glass-top" cohibas to tourists.

Really? I'm not in a position to know, but it's just surprising given everything else I've read and been told.

NCRadioMan
08-06-2012, 04:07 PM
Pretty sure you can bring back up to two boxes of 25 cigars ea.
Totally false. You can't legally bring back one cigar if you are a US citizen.

dozer
08-06-2012, 04:19 PM
Well, I guess I may be wrong on that one...our trip was sponsored by the Secretary of State, so the rules may have been a bit different.

mk05
08-09-2012, 02:19 AM
Totally false. You can't legally bring back one cigar if you are a US resident.

Fixt.

massphatness
08-09-2012, 05:31 AM
Marc - barring diplomatic immunity, I don't believe anyone is allowed to bring back Cuban goods

mosesbotbol
08-09-2012, 07:11 AM
Marc - barring diplomatic immunity, I don't believe anyone is allowed to bring back Cuban goods

This is true, but I seriously doubt he'll be checked or his cigars will be taken away. My old girlfriend went on a similar NPR sponsored tour to Cuba in 2001 and brought back a cab of BBF (one of the best I have ever had) and my friends all got a couple of tubos. She toured the Partagas Factory and bought cigars at factory store.

mk05
08-09-2012, 03:10 PM
Vin I agree with you, was just being fresh and adding another layer to US pass through argument.

GWN
08-09-2012, 05:44 PM

Have never seen glass-top boxes there. Think they are more prevalent in Mexico, etc. There are, however, tons of non-Habanos cigars offered up to tourists.