PDA

View Full Version : Question for San Fran BOTLs

floydpink
07-19-2012, 11:12 AM
Im in the beginning stages of talking about an offer for a job relocation in either Aspen Colorado or San Francisco.

Both would include 6 months housing to start and a good income potential

My life has always been on the East Coast and I have always thought of trying something else but the move is a big one

I am not a cold weather person so SF is more appealing.

Id love some feedback regarding cost and quality of life

forgop
07-19-2012, 11:24 AM
You're in luck! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKLI8j_hbgY

Sorry-I've only been in San Fran for a day, but sounds like a great opportunity either way. Don't forget to consider how the altitude difference may impact your coffee roasting.

bonjing
07-19-2012, 11:28 AM
It seems that our cost of living is a little higher than most of the country, gas for example. Quality of life is what you make of it. Although I hate the politics of California, I love the state. I like being able to drive a few hours in any direction if I want high heat, snow, mountains and great beaches.

CRIMPS
07-19-2012, 11:39 AM
Just got back from Aspen. I hope the offer takes into account the HIGH cost of living there. HIGH!!! Of course, 20 miles down the hill, the cost of living is a little more manageable, but still somewhat high.

floydpink
07-19-2012, 11:46 AM
The work involves onsite work at very high end resorts, which would require living close.

In my younger years, it would be an easy choice, but uprooting a wife with a large circle of friends and a daughter in 2nd grade who loves her school are the biggest obsticals.

Personally, I could cross the Florida state line and never look back, but I'm trying to sell them on mountains and weather and IQ's that aren't always in the 80's like Florida.

theonlybear4CORT
07-19-2012, 12:06 PM
Join us in Cali. But I'd stay out of frisco and pick a place around it. And if you drop your cigar cutter don't pick it up! Kick it over to Oakland then you can bend over and pick it up.

bobarian
07-19-2012, 03:48 PM
Much depends on exactly where you will be working and living. Do you know the city they plan on putting you? Will you be buying or renting? Kids and family?

Yes the cost of living is high but I think most who live here will tell you they like it very much. :2

floydpink
07-19-2012, 09:16 PM
It would be Ritz Carlton Half Moon Bay which is 27 miles outside SF
It looks nice

floydpink
07-19-2012, 09:17 PM
It would be Ritz Carlton Half Moon
It looks nice

Plan would be renting.

ChicagoWhiteSox
07-19-2012, 09:19 PM
Join us in Cali. But I'd stay out of frisco and pick a place around it. And if you drop your cigar cutter don't pick it up! Kick it over to Oakland then you can bend over and pick it up.

:r:r

mariogolbee
07-19-2012, 09:33 PM
It would be Ritz Carlton Half Moon Bay which is 27 miles outside SF
It looks nice
Half Moon Bay is fantastic. Mountains, beaches, and a semi-small town feel. The ride to get out of there is throughout he mountains, so be prepared for altitude changes and windy roads on the way into greater Bay Area.

Cost of living in this area is ridiculous, but as Bob mentioned, those who live here like it. Those who come to live here don't want to leave. The weather around the Bay Area is moderate compared to the rest of the country, from what I am told by those from out of state.

Hope you to meet you if you settle in this way. We have a great group of guys who would surely love to welcome you to the area. The City is its own special beast, may you come to know it in all of its glory.

bobarian
07-19-2012, 09:49 PM
You'll either be living in Half Moon Bay or Pacifica. Although SF is close, its actually a world away. HMB is a rural community and rent should be much less than in the City. Be prepared for cold weather, the coast is fogged-in most of the time and rarely gets above 75 even in the summer. Lots of nice restaurants, good ocean fishing. HMB is very nice place to live.

floydpink
07-20-2012, 07:38 AM
Thanks so much for the input guys.

I spent a good bit of time looking at rentals and would need a 3br and the prices are quite a bit higher than they are in Florida.

It's really going to come down to what kind of compensation is involved for such a big move.

bobarian
07-20-2012, 08:05 AM
Also, be sure to factor in a 15-20% increase in basic cost of living. Other than Hawaii, we have the highest gas prices in the country.