PDA

View Full Version : I'm done smoking in Cigar Lounges

ysr_racer
07-17-2012, 10:43 AM
I'm done smoking in Cigar Lounges

I enjoy a nice cigar lounge as much as the next guy, but I don't know how some of you guys hang out in them.

Every time I come out of one of them my clothes STINK, and I'm a cigar smoker.

I mean they STINK so bad that when I get home I have to wash everything I'm wearing. I made the mistake of bringing my backpack and laptop in a few of them, now they stink too.

Here's pictures of some of the CL's I've been in, but I'm done.

http://www.picturetrail.com/ysr_racer

JenksAnejo
07-17-2012, 10:48 AM
I don't know how some of you guys hang out in them.

Great ventilation is one of the main reasons I stick with a certain B&M here in town. I think this is HUGE when owning a cigar shop. I hardly ever smell like a cigar when I come out of the lounge.

big pete
07-17-2012, 10:49 AM
I know how you feel. Sucks when I go after work on Fridays and have to take the bus home

14holestogie
07-17-2012, 10:54 AM
That's just one of many hazards of the hobby. Suck it up!

I've been thinking of going shirtless the rest of my life to avoid another burn hole from a hot ash. ;)

lenguamor
07-17-2012, 10:56 AM
I've gotten very picky about where I smoke. Because, if you think about it, if you stink that bad after hanging out there then the ventilation was crap; and if that's so, then you inhaled a ton more smoke than necessary to enjoy our shared avocation.

I've been to places—ONCE, mind you—that were so bad I felt like leaving within minutes.

Try to find another place, one with better ventilation. By patronizing the places that spend a bit more on their customers' comfort and health, you perpetuate that business model.

FriendlyMan
07-17-2012, 10:56 AM
The car is much worse, and as mentioned before ventilation is a big one. but for some reason it's the last thing some store owners want to invest in.

bobarian
07-17-2012, 11:00 AM
Shouldnt this be in the Joke thread? :sh

God forbid you should have to wash your clothes after wearing them. I was not aware that laptops absorbed odors, maybe try some Fabreze on the backpack. :2

OMG it's such a hassle. :bh

Havanaaddict
07-17-2012, 11:01 AM
I love the smell-(P But ventilation is a big deal

massphatness
07-17-2012, 11:02 AM
I go for the waitresses

fencefixer
07-17-2012, 11:11 AM
I'm lucky that ours is well ventilated. Sometimes I'll spend 8 hours or more inside as I work from home, so I just take my work there and puff along. Sorry you had a bad experience. :(

14holestogie
07-17-2012, 11:16 AM
I go for the waitresses

I vote they go shirtless as well...:)

688sonarmen
07-17-2012, 11:22 AM

God forbid you should have to wash your clothes after wearing them. I was not aware that laptops absorbed odors, maybe try some Fabreze on the backpack. :2

I was thinking the same thing, or the OP got hacked by his wife:r

CigarNut
07-17-2012, 11:22 AM
You will always pick up some smoke odor if you are indoors whether it's in a lounge, your garage, man cave or home. Hopefully, you wash your clothes sometime, so if you have some smoke odor you wash more frequently. Not necessarily a bad thing.

I like to smoke outside when I can but I go to the local cigar lounge to be with my friends...

shilala
07-17-2012, 11:38 AM
I generally smell like a wildebeest and a pound of bacon. Smelling like a cigar is a step up.
That said, I'm been in B&M's that are so thick with smoke that I can't see the next table. I consider myself smart enough to get out of a burning building, so I do. If I can't draw a breath of air and my eyes are burning out of their sockets, it's probably a good idea to git. There's a point where it becomes too uncomfortable to enjoy myself anymore, but it's only ever happened once, maybe twice, and I can't remember the second time.

sikk50
07-17-2012, 12:09 PM
This was relevant to my interests, thank you for sharing.

Stephen
07-17-2012, 12:18 PM
By patronizing the places that spend a bit more on their customers' comfort and health
I know, right? Anymore I only go to all-you-can-eat buffets that have treadmills.

kaisersozei
07-17-2012, 12:19 PM
I know where the OP is coming from, especially since I'm the only smoker in my house I want to be sensitive to what "smells" I bring home. Which is one of the reasons I do most of my smoking outside, or I'm selective about the B&Ms I frequent.

One of the best indoor places to smoke in my area is actually a restaurant--Bailey's does a great job of removing ambient smoke, you can see it being sucked up into the ventilation.

Stephen
07-17-2012, 12:22 PM
I generally smell like a wildebeest and a pound of bacon.
So that's what shame smells like... :D

markem
07-17-2012, 12:23 PM
I like my cigar lounge. They have a washer and dryer to clean your clothes before you leave and loaner hoodies and sweats so that you don't have to go buck nekkid. It's the little things like this that keep me going there.

That and the all you can drink Jack Daniels Thursdays.

Ogre
07-17-2012, 12:42 PM
Mention to the owner that his vent system is not working. Lose enough customers something will change.

Blak Smyth
07-17-2012, 12:47 PM
I generally smell like a wildebeest and a pound of bacon.

I stay out of strip clubs for the same reason!

neoflex
07-17-2012, 12:48 PM
I have found that in some of the best ventilated places my clothes, laptop and bag will still pick up the cigar scent. Even smoking outside I find I will often pick up the smell on my clothes. I look at it as something that comes with the territory although some lounges ventilation systems are absolutely useless and once you get two or more smokers the room it's just a haze. I usually try to avoid such places but I am still in the camp of thinking that no matter what you do you will always smell a little bit.

area51
07-17-2012, 01:02 PM
When I'm back home the place I smoke is very well ventilated so I rarely leave smelling worse than if I'd smoked on my patio alone.

area51
07-17-2012, 01:05 PM
I have found that in some of the best ventilated places my clothes, laptop and bag will still pick up the cigar scent. Even smoking outside I find I will often pick up the smell on my clothes. I look at it as something that comes with the territory although some lounges ventilation systems are absolutely useless and once you get two or more smokers the room it's just a haze. I usually try to avoid such places but I am still in the camp of thinking that no matter what you do you will always smell a little bit.

:tpd:

N2 GOLD
07-17-2012, 02:12 PM
I love the smell-(P But ventilation is a big deal

What he said "VENTILATION" is key... -(P

Resipsa
07-17-2012, 02:35 PM
I like my cigar lounge. They have a washer and dryer to clean your clothes before you leave and loaner hoodies and sweats so that you don't have to go buck nekkid. It's the little things like this that keep me going there.

I'd imagine the second item is probably more for the benefit of the other patrons there.....:D

icehog3
07-17-2012, 03:26 PM
I go for the waitresses

Cameron Diaz, perhaps? :lr

Tell them to add Stoli, and I'm in. ;)

Smell like cigars? Gross!!

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa73/icehog3/Funny.jpg

E.J.
07-17-2012, 05:07 PM
I just wish I had the option of a cigar lounge locally. Not a big deal in the Spring/Summer/Fall, but going to watch a ball game and have a nice cigar or two, would be nice in the Winter....

maninblack
07-17-2012, 06:42 PM
Cigar smoke is like a pheromone to my wife. Sucks to be you! Speaking of which, I need to go smoke.

emopunker2004
07-17-2012, 06:44 PM
Don't bring anything you can't wash. You're supposed to wash your clothes anyways...

Silound
07-18-2012, 08:44 AM
Coming from a former B&M employee, I can tell you that there is no way to ventilate a lounge well enough if there are 10 guys all chuffing away like a Union Pacific Big Boy hauling a string up-grade. The best thing you can do is have very high ceilings and multiple smoke eaters, but even then you may have to simply vent to outside air to clear the smoke every so often (that's expensive and being restricted a lot more by laws).

Being a single guy, I don't worry what smells I might bring home (probably better than the smells I already have anyway), but I do worry about what I track back to the office every day. I keep some smoking clothes in my truck so that if I go by the shop for lunch, I can quickly change into something I don't mind smelling like smoke and change back when I return to the office.

Brutus2600
07-18-2012, 09:14 AM

I was starting to wonder if the rest of you were smoking different cigars than I was, but John voiced exactly what I was going to say.

Even in well ventilated areas (read: outside) I smell like smoke when I'm done with a cigar. It's in my hair, my shirt, my pants, if I'm reading then so does my book, if I'm on my laptop that smells like smoke too - it's just part of smoking cigars.

Now having said that, yes...smoking at a B&M or at a friends house where I'm inside (and even with a decent to good ventilation system) I will smell stronger of smoke when I leave. It's pretty much a rule in my house that I just strip off my clothes that I wore at the door when I get home and throw them in the laundry room (my fiancee hates the smell of smoke).

I've noticed that the day after a herf even my wallet smelled smokey :r

As others have said...it's just part of our hobby.

Sonic04GT
07-18-2012, 10:36 AM
I don't think I've ever smoked a cigar indoors, even from back in my days of smoking cigarettes. I hate wearing clothes that smell like smoke.

Shadow
07-18-2012, 11:51 AM
At our cigar club we have air cleaners in every room and a huge ventilation fan above the front door. Usually the air cleaners do the job but if we get a crowd in, especially for our monthly dinners, we crank up the fan to take care of the excess smoke. Works like a charm.

I don't worry about the smell on my clothes. It pays to be married to a woman that smokes cigars also.

dvickery
07-18-2012, 01:19 PM
i love the smell of stale cigar smoke...smells like success.

derrek

jluck
07-18-2012, 01:48 PM
I would recommend staying away from fishing too, You might end up smelling like fish.

Really though...
Small price to pay for short trips to utopia.:2

stearns
07-18-2012, 04:41 PM
With a little upkeep and making odor control a priority, i think it can be managed. at the shop i work at, an ionizer and a decent ventalation system can handle the typical traffic. if there is an event or a larger group in, cracking the front and back doors will clear the smoke out almost immediately. i dont think its worth spending time in any location that makes you feel uncomfortable (been in many lounges where it's difficult to open your eyes without burn), but that being said, a little odor should be expected, in my opinion

replicant_argent
07-18-2012, 04:58 PM

I want to hang out with you.

Oh, and be "Matchy Matchy Hoody Twins."

CigarNut
07-18-2012, 06:29 PM
I want to hang out with you.

Oh, and be "Matchy Matchy Hoody Twins."
:tf:sl;s

theonlybear4CORT
07-18-2012, 06:47 PM
Everytime I get in my car and drive for a week I have to pump gas I mean what gives! Also when I drink alot of water I have to use the restroom.

It's all related to what you do. I say stop smoking and donate your smokes to the troops.

FriendlyMan
07-18-2012, 08:09 PM
My wife thinks the smell comes from the train ;)
Oh oh, you smell like your coming from the train. Wait, were you even on the train today.
No, I think it might be from the ac in the car.

ysr_racer
07-19-2012, 07:38 AM
God forbid you should have to wash your clothes after wearing them.

I wash my clothes after wearing them, just not right when I walk in the door (which is what I have to do).

ChicagoWhiteSox
07-19-2012, 07:54 AM

:lr

T.G
07-19-2012, 08:14 AM
I wash my clothes after wearing them, just not right when I walk in the door (which is what I have to do).

http://i.imgur.com/FToKl.jpg

OLS
07-19-2012, 08:16 AM
I usually try to avoid such places but I am still in the camp of thinking that no matter what you do you will always smell a little bit.

This is my feeling. Granted we may be talking DEGREES of smell here, but I smoke in the
best ventilated smoking room there is, the great outdoors, and when I come back inside,
I can smell the smoke on me. None of that changes the point that if your cigar lounge has big
clouds of smoke you can see, like in the Tobacco Barn Photos, you definitely have to choose,
it seems. Personally I do not mind a lot of CIGAR smoke, but you ain't escaping THAT smell on your
clothes after it.

shopkins82
07-19-2012, 08:20 AM
Pretty much the only time I smoke in a lounge is on my lunch break, and then I'm almost the only person in the lounge area of the shop, possibly one or two others. It's a small lounge (two couches and a card table) but they have decent overhead ventilation as well as 2 fans. I've gotten out of the habit as of late, just smoking outside of my office building at a picnic table... mainly to avoid B&M prices...

jluck
07-19-2012, 11:39 PM
I will only smoke a cigar in a lounge when....

1. I want a cigar
2. I am at a lounge

Go home do laundry....repeat.

Catfish
07-20-2012, 05:00 PM
Personally, I LOVE the smell of my cigars. Whenever the temperature outside gets below 70 (Not too terribly often in Florida), if i'm driving for any distance, I'll hotbox myself in my car with just the driver's side window cracked. It sucks a lot of the smoke out but fills the car with suuuuuuch a nice, luxurious smell. Word of advice: Don't smoke a cigar in your car with the air conditioner on. That WILL make your car smell funky.

I am also one of the lucky few whose lovely bride is attracted to cigar smoke like a moth to a light. She really enjoys sitting out with me on the lanai enjoying the evening and taking in the smell of my stogies.

Small, funny (to me) story. December 2008, my wife went into the hospital for a rather risky surgery. As soon as the doc came out and told me the surgery was a success and she was in recovery, I went to the parking lot of the hospital, fired up 2007 Shark and turned the inside of my van into something out of a Cheech and Chong movie. 45 minutes of sheer heavenly bliss. A couple of the docs that walked by smiled in approval when I told them what I was doing. When I went into her room afterwards, she gave me a big smile and told me how good it was to see me and how good I smelled.

My God was in his heaven and all was right with the world.

The only problem I personally have ever had with too much smoke in a cigar lounge was when it got to the point visibility became restricted and my eyes started to burn.

Although I don't agree with the OP's position ( different life experiences is all ) I DO know what it is like to have clothes on that take the smell of where you've been for any period of time. 2 examples. 1: Working in a BBQ restaurant. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE BBQ but after being around it for 12 hours day after day, your clothes get nasty. I don't care HOW many times you wash em. 2: Being around fryers. That evaporating grease gets into every crack, crevice and pore of your body. You go home feeling like the Crisco Kid.

Mattso3000
07-20-2012, 05:15 PM
Starting to smell like cigar smoke here...I should go. On second thought I think I 'll forge onward and keep smoking.

sevans105
07-20-2012, 05:44 PM
It's tough, right? You want to go to places with people, but those have tons of smoke. Generally, the crappy ones...the ones no one goes to....are great for the air but crap for the atmosphere...

Mattso3000
07-20-2012, 05:48 PM
It's tough, right? You want to go to places with people, but those have tons of smoke. Generally, the crappy ones...the ones no one goes to....are great for the air but crap for the atmosphere...

James has the smokeeters on high. I only notice the smoke when I exhale :D

sevans105
07-20-2012, 05:51 PM
James has the smokeeters on high. I only notice the smoke when I exhale :D

You are absolutely right on that one. Burn is one of the few lounges I've been to that even with 15/20 guys in there, the air is still clear. It's actually kind of amazing. Burn is the very happy exception.

Reminds me...need to get up there again!

benedic08
07-20-2012, 06:07 PM
Time to bring a smoking jacket to the lounge Hefner style..... :D

theonlybear4CORT
07-20-2012, 06:37 PM
Smoke naked then after change in the car on the way home.

icehog3
07-20-2012, 06:39 PM
Smoke naked then after change in the car on the way home.

What's to change? :r

smitty81
07-20-2012, 06:41 PM
Personally, I LOVE the smell of my cigars. Whenever the temperature outside gets below 70 (Not too terribly often in Florida), if i'm driving for any distance, I'll hotbox myself in my car with just the driver's side window cracked. It sucks a lot of the smoke out but fills the car with suuuuuuch a nice, luxurious smell. Word of advice: Don't smoke a cigar in your car with the air conditioner on. That WILL make your car smell funky.

I am also one of the lucky few whose lovely bride is attracted to cigar smoke like a moth to a light. She really enjoys sitting out with me on the lanai enjoying the evening and taking in the smell of my stogies.

Small, funny (to me) story. December 2008, my wife went into the hospital for a rather risky surgery. As soon as the doc came out and told me the surgery was a success and she was in recovery, I went to the parking lot of the hospital, fired up 2007 Shark and turned the inside of my van into something out of a Cheech and Chong movie. 45 minutes of sheer heavenly bliss. A couple of the docs that walked by smiled in approval when I told them what I was doing. When I went into her room afterwards, she gave me a big smile and told me how good it was to see me and how good I smelled.

My God was in his heaven and all was right with the world.

The only problem I personally have ever had with too much smoke in a cigar lounge was when it got to the point visibility became restricted and my eyes started to burn.

Although I don't agree with the OP's position ( different life experiences is all ) I DO know what it is like to have clothes on that take the smell of where you've been for any period of time. 2 examples. 1: Working in a BBQ restaurant. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE BBQ but after being around it for 12 hours day after day, your clothes get nasty. I don't care HOW many times you wash em. 2: Being around fryers. That evaporating grease gets into every crack, crevice and pore of your body. You go home feeling like the Crisco Kid.

Thats nice weather here in Nebraska Bro!

I'm still sitting outside in shorts smoking.:D