PDA

View Full Version : I'm Cheap...

shibby4781
07-14-2012, 11:37 AM
You'd be surprised at what I would do for 5 Dark Sharks and a 6 pack of Shlitz, cheap! But seriously, I really don't feel like spending more money right now. So here's the deal. I am going camping in a few weeks for about 5 days. I do have 2 of the Herf-a-Dor X5 travelers but I plan on taking more than 10 cigars. I planned on putting my more premium ones in those. I was thinking for the ones I know will go to the moochers and such I will just put them in tupperware or a plastic zip bag with a humi-pak. Will this work? Any other suggestions?

Ogre
07-14-2012, 11:39 AM
Sounds like a good idea. Hide the good stuff!!!!

maninblack
07-14-2012, 11:54 AM
That would work, although it is almost too good for a Gurkha.

EricF
07-14-2012, 11:58 AM
That would work, although it is almost too good for a Gurkha.

Be nice!!! That's Tom's favorite cigar!!! :lr :lr :lr

maninblack
07-14-2012, 12:16 PM
That's cause D-bags don't have good taste!

shibby4781
07-14-2012, 01:20 PM
That's cause D-bags don't have good taste!

So you have tasted a D-bag? I guess it all depends on the flavor. Was it pine forest fresh, new car or summer rain?

Ogre
07-14-2012, 01:22 PM
So you have tasted a D-bag? I guess it all depends on the flavor. Was it pine forest fresh, new car or summer rain?

Oil and Vinegar!!!!:confused:

shibby4781
07-14-2012, 01:30 PM
Think we can get Mentos & Summers Eve to team up?

area51
07-14-2012, 01:37 PM
I was going to contribute to his thread...but it is so far off course.

shibby4781
07-14-2012, 01:45 PM
Yeah this went bad really quick! Damn you Gurhka and your love 'em or hate 'em smokes for ruining what could have been an informative thread full of creative ideas!

T.G
07-14-2012, 02:21 PM
You'd be surprised at what I would do for 5 Dark Sharks and a 6 pack of Shlitz, cheap! But seriously, I really don't feel like spending more money right now. So here's the deal. I am going camping in a few weeks for about 5 days. I do have 2 of the Herf-a-Dor X5 travelers but I plan on taking more than 10 cigars. I planned on putting my more premium ones in those. I was thinking for the ones I know will go to the moochers and such I will just put them in tupperware or a plastic zip bag with a humi-pak. Will this work? Any other suggestions?

Either the tupperware or the zip-lock bags would keep the cigars fresh for the 5 days, but tupperware is probably the better choice as it will also afford some protection against the cigars being accidentally crushed.

Unless you are going camping in the desert or at an extreme altitude/dry climate, the humi-pack probably isn't necessary.

shibby4781
07-14-2012, 02:27 PM
Either the tupperware or the zip-lock bags would keep the cigars fresh for the 5 days, but tupperware is probably the better choice as it will also afford some protection against the cigars being accidentally crushed.

Unless you are going camping in the desert or at an extreme altitude/dry climate, the humi-pack probably isn't necessary.

Yeah I've decided on the tupperware. I wont be in any "extreme" conditions. It will be upstate NY they 2nd week of August. However, I may be storing the container in the car while away from the site. Will the high tempuratures in the vehicle make a difference in my decision to use a humidification device?

T.G
07-14-2012, 02:45 PM
Yeah I've decided on the tupperware. I wont be in any "extreme" conditions. It will be upstate NY they 2nd week of August. However, I may be storing the container in the car while away from the site. Will the high tempuratures in the vehicle make a difference in my decision to use a humidification device?

Nah, the cigars are tougher than they often get credit for, they'll be fine. Plus, tupperware is almost airtight.

BTW, if you meant boveda pack, then it's up to you, those are two-way packs, so probably not necessary, but won't really hurt anything either. If you meant those water pillows that you dip in water and they puff up, since they don't do a very good job of absorbing humidity, in a small airtight container like a tupperware, you might end with over humidified cigars.

shibby4781
07-14-2012, 02:54 PM
Cool thank you! I meant the Boveda Packs. I'm not going to worry about it too much. It's just the first time I'm traveling with a larger quantity. Besided the good ones will be in my X5s. So I don't think moochers will to complain about slightly dried out Pirates Gold or ACIDS.

Dunkel
07-14-2012, 03:01 PM
So I don't think moochers will to complain about slightly dried out Pirates Gold or ACIDS.

I'm glad when I was a mooch my friend cared enough to share a Punch Grand Cru or at the worse a Las Cabillas!

shibby4781
07-14-2012, 03:12 PM
LOL! The "friend" I have in mind will most likely be so blind drunk by the time he decides to smoke one I could give him something I made out of leaves from the ground and squirrel droppings and he wouldn't know the difference.

T.G
07-14-2012, 10:06 PM
LOL! The "friend" I have in mind will most likely be so blind drunk by the time he decides to smoke one I could give him something I made out of leaves from the ground and squirrel droppings and he wouldn't know the difference.

Quit muscling in on Lars Tetens territory...

area51
07-15-2012, 05:04 AM
Thats so true haha. But yeah go with a good bundle and call it a day, and yes Tupperware with a boveda pack or water pillow will work great.

brigey57
07-15-2012, 08:47 AM
I like the way you think. :tu Times are tough and it's tough to justify buying more smokes with limited resources (if any at all!). Shiltz is one of the few remaining American owned and brewed beers. Gotta love it.

If it were me and I'm buying with the "moochers" in mind and I want to leave them with a lasting memory I'd find me A CHEAP BUNDLE at my local B&M, not nasty tasting in case I left with a few and I need to make my trip last a little longer, and buy what you like. Check out your local B&M and see what they have. Like I said earlier times are tough, negotiate the price paid for the bundle, you might save a few bucks. Pay in cash if you have it.

Enjoy the road your on, it may be a longer journey than you first thought. :2

lilcgrsmkr
07-15-2012, 11:07 AM
Thats so true haha. But yeah go with a good bundle and call it a day, and yes Tupperware with a boveda pack or water pillow will work great.

ditto... have a great trip:)

shopkins82
07-16-2012, 09:40 AM
I use a Sterilite 5.3-Cup 4-Flap-Enclosure (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-5.3-Cup-Large-Food-Storage-Container-Rocket-Red/17011401)with a Boveda pack as my work humidor. I also use it anytime I want to travel with more than 10 sticks or anything longer than 5" (I have two Black-Ops 5-stick travel humis, but they're small and only hold Robusto length).

The food container holds ~15 sticks depending on the length... basically 5 wide and 3 tall on anything under 6", or 3 wide on 7" sticks (due to the curvature of the corners), but you can put shorter sticks on the outside of longer ones to keep it 5 wide. My Boveda pack is going on 5 months and still feels as wet as the day I bought it. Around $4 for the Tupperware and $5 for the Boveda and it holds RH 10x better than my desktop... hard to beat!