PDA

View Full Version : Home Window Tinting?

bonjing
07-10-2012, 10:04 AM
Has anyone had their home windows tinted? I have western facing home (I think I have the term right) I get the morning sun in the bedroom windows and then the afternoon sun in the living room. I was hoping to get anyone's experience with it especially long term.

I know some of the positives are less fading of furniture and flooring along with making it harder to see in. One major negative I can see is that once it gets night, I won't really be able to see squat outside.

I'm mainly concerned with the possibility of killing house plants, I don't know if the tinting will affect them by blocking out the sun. The plants have been in the family forever and I don't really want to be the one to kill them.

Thanks!

Ogre
07-10-2012, 10:17 AM
I have mine tinted and love it. The rooms run about 10 degrees cooler and the AC doesn't work as hard. I would recommend using the tinted security film. It hold up much better and can take a beating. Seeing out the windows at night is not near as bad as you think. As for the plants, just go with a lighter tint, don't black them out.

Mugen910
07-10-2012, 10:21 AM
I've never heard of this. Is this just regular car tint or do you have to purchase it from a specialty store?

forgop
07-10-2012, 10:28 AM
At my old house, I got the cheapo peel and stick type stuff and it helped. I eventually with with blackout shades in that room because the glare was still too bad on my TV in that room.

Ogre
07-10-2012, 10:31 AM
I've never heard of this. Is this just regular car tint or do you have to purchase it from a specialty store?

I had a friend do mine. Check with Lowes or Home Depot. If the don't have it do an online search. It goes on like regular tint.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Window_Film/Solutions/Markets-Products/Residential/Safety-Security_Window_Films/

Jefft72
07-10-2012, 10:34 AM
Home window tint film can be bought at home improvement stores and I am not sure the difference between it and car tint.

I have used it on my last house on the windows that faced west. I used the 90% stuff and had a good experience with it. I have since used solar screen on my current house and certainly prefer the exterior look of the screens to the film. But I think that both products do a very good job of keeping the heat out.

IBQTEE1
07-10-2012, 10:34 AM
My friend's parent's have it on the family room because it faces West and there was glare on the TV. They don't have it darkest but just enough when the sun comes in it cuts down on the light. There are places that will come in and do it.

Ogre
07-10-2012, 10:39 AM
Home window tint film can be bought at home improvement stores and I am not sure the difference between it and car tint.

I have used it on my last house on the windows that faced west. I used the 90% stuff and had a good experience with it. I have since used solar screen on my current house and certainly prefer the exterior look of the screens to the film. But I think that both products do a very good job of keeping the heat out.

Security tint is thicker and has a stronger adhesive. I use it because of the hurricanes here in Florida. Also check with your homeowners insurance and electric company. I got a $150 credit from my electric company and a discount on insurance.

mosesbotbol
07-10-2012, 11:08 AM
I had mirrored security tint on a sliding glass door as kid and birds use to hit the window all the time. They see "a rival" in the reflection and go for the attack...

Brutus2600
07-10-2012, 11:21 AM
Put in Gila window tint (http://www.amazon.com/Gila-LES361-Control-Residential-Platinum/dp/B000KKM8EG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341940619&sr=8-1&keywords=gila) in my front room. It definitely helped with the sun super-heating that room. You can't see in the window from the outside during the day (kind of creates an almost two-way mirror type situation). During the day and night though you can see out it just fine. No idea about how it affects plants.

And if you buy this, don't be a cheapskate like me and buy the kit (http://www.amazon.com/Gila-RTK500-Window-Application-Complete/dp/B002YXPITY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1341940824&sr=8-4&keywords=gila). I did the second half of the project with the kit and it was SO much easier.

Also, follow the directions exactly and have somebody to help you. Much easier with four hands as opposed to two.

Blueface
07-10-2012, 01:31 PM

Very similar.
Just on a bigger scale.
Unlike autos, reflective is more common than not.

Skywalker
07-10-2012, 03:20 PM
Put in Gila window tint (http://www.amazon.com/Gila-LES361-Control-Residential-Platinum/dp/B000KKM8EG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341940619&sr=8-1&keywords=gila) in my front room. It definitely helped with the sun super-heating that room. You can't see in the window from the outside during the day (kind of creates an almost two-way mirror type situation). During the day and night though you can see out it just fine. No idea about how it affects plants.

And if you buy this, don't be a cheapskate like me and buy the kit (http://www.amazon.com/Gila-RTK500-Window-Application-Complete/dp/B002YXPITY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1341940824&sr=8-4&keywords=gila). I did the second half of the project with the kit and it was SO much easier.

Also, follow the directions exactly and have somebody to help you. Much easier with four hands as opposed to two.

I found the same brand at Lowes! It cuts down the heat in my upstairs bedroom!:tu

The Poet
07-10-2012, 03:56 PM
I found the same brand at Lowes! It cuts down the heat in my upstairs bedroom!:tu

I thought that was your woman's job. :confused:

Ogre
07-10-2012, 04:01 PM

No, thats a cold shower.

Ogre
07-10-2012, 05:35 PM
I don't think you would be with a light tint.

Skywalker
07-10-2012, 07:15 PM

No, thats a cold shower.

:r:r:r

NeuRon
07-10-2012, 07:45 PM
i need some tint for my garage door, good timing to read this thread, hehe..im still contemplating frosting (or light tint). i only wanted it for privacy, not really heat savings or anything

Mugen910
07-10-2012, 07:47 PM
I had mirrored security tint on a sliding glass door as kid and birds use to hit the window all the time. They see "a rival" in the reflection and go for the attack...

:r