PDA

View Full Version : Torch vs. Soft Flame

shibby4781
07-05-2012, 06:15 PM
Hi All! I'm wondering what the difference is? Actually, I know the fundamental difference. So why would someone choose one over the other? I'm in the market for a second lighter. I have been using a single flame torch but when that runs out and I don't feel like refilling right then and there I break out the trusty old Bic. I personally cannot tell a difference in the smoke either way.

SmokeyJoe
07-05-2012, 06:20 PM
Here is a link to a thread that discussed this topic, somewhat.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=32029&highlight=soft+flame

For me personally, I prefer the torch. :ss

shilala
07-05-2012, 06:27 PM
I just like a torch better, they're badass. If you can't tell a difference, and don't get any benefit from using one or the other, stick with your trusty old Bic. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, brother!!! :tu

Ogre
07-05-2012, 06:28 PM
For toasting I prefer the torch. For touch ups and relights I like the soft flame. Guess I am of little help with this topic.

longknocker
07-05-2012, 06:29 PM
Overall I Like The Soft Flame Better, But I Use Both.:tu

shibby4781
07-05-2012, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. It seems to be personal preference. It looks like I may pick up a second torch with a bigger fuel tank like the Blazer or Xikar Tech since I am outside smoking 98.994% of the time. Unless there are any other suggestions with a cheaper price tag. Also, I will still keep my Bic with me at all times!

lilcgrsmkr
07-05-2012, 06:42 PM
I just like a torch better, they're badass. If you can't tell a difference, and don't get any benefit from using one or the other, stick with your trusty old Bic. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, brother!!! :tu

that's right! i would have a collection of lighters with me, and they aren't working and someone would come around with a bic...and it works almost everytime..hahha:)

md4958
07-05-2012, 06:44 PM
The soft flame just seems like a more relaxed, civilized way to light a cigars. That being said, I cant tell the difference and use a torch 99% of the time. The precision of a torch is also helpful for touch-ups.

Use whatever makes you happy, or is handy at the time.

bobarian
07-05-2012, 06:48 PM
Fire good. If it lights my cigar I'm happy. :2

physiognomy
07-05-2012, 06:48 PM
... other suggestions with a cheaper price tag...

I've used these for years now... Shipping takes a while, but they are great lighters for the price.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/compact-1300-c-butane-jet-lighter-4179

shibby4781
07-05-2012, 06:52 PM
I've used these for years now... Shipping takes a while, but they are great lighters for the price.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/compact-1300-c-butane-jet-lighter-4179

THAT IS PERFECT! THANK YOU! :noon I like the key ring so I can attach my cutters.

Jasonw560
07-05-2012, 07:43 PM
If it's not windy, I'll use my soft flame. If it's windy, I'll use my torch.

N2 GOLD
07-05-2012, 09:29 PM
Just use a BIG fat chunch of cedar...

shopkins82
07-06-2012, 06:52 AM
I gravitate towards a torch for anything over 50 ring gauge, and soft flame for anything under. For awhile I've been wanting to pick up a lighter that has both (Evertorch on the higher-priced size, Jobon Dual-Torch on the cheaper side) but haven't got around to it yet. The main reason for desiring the dual is that, even with larger ring gauges, I like to toast then draw in the flame directly... toasting with the torch then drawing in the soft flame seems like the ideal light to me.

dwoodward
07-06-2012, 08:52 AM
I gravitate towards a torch for anything over 50 ring gauge, and soft flame for anything under.

That's odd, I am actually the exact opposite. I find it a waste of butane to properly light anything over 50ish ring, when a single match can get the job done and usually better. But I suppose I prefer to match light anything anyway.

Catfish
07-22-2012, 05:39 PM
Me? Torch. Everytime. Quick, easy, windproof. I'm more capable with it for precision touch-ups. And at $3 apiece for a refillable lighter, I'll take it.

mosesbotbol
07-22-2012, 06:55 PM
If indoors, I'll go for the soft flame.

Mikepd
07-22-2012, 07:16 PM
The tool I use is a torch lighter that has a collar that allows immediate on the fly adjustment to a soft flame, and back to a torch when you want. There are a couple problems with a torch though that are inherent to the fact that it is a high pressure, forced flame. I mainly use the soft flame.

The first is "toasting". While I worked at a B&M, everyday I would observe customers "toast" the foot of their cigar with a torch for 30+ seconds. At that point the foot is not toasted, but charred. When you char tobacco there will be a burnt taste that will be hard to shake.

Secondly, with my observations, Direction of the flame is crucial. When a cigar is lit with a torch, the angle of the flame should be ~45* to the foot. When the flame is straight on you are now using a blow torch. The flame does not just hit the face of the foot, but rolls off and burns the wrapper.

Thirdly, you need space between the foot and the lighter. Way too many times did a customer place a lighter almost butting up against the cigar. With no space in between and air not getting in there, the cigar now will "super-heat" and likely burn, and not burn like we would like them too. Having two to three inches between the lighter and cigar allows it to breath as it lights, and will light evenly.

Another issue with lighting is way too many people keep the torch there well past the time the cigar is lit. When this is done, especially with direct on and too close to the foot, this causes internal scorching, and even extended lighting. This is the issue of lighting the cigar inside beyond just the foot and it can cause canoeing and ragged burns.

As to relights and touch ups with a torch, the problem isn't the light itself, but when the ash is left on. When you try to relight or touch-up a cigar with a torch, and you leave the ash on the end, you will inevitably force it into the cigar. Bits of ash will be pushed up the cigar from the high pressure jets of a torch and you will continue to taste it while smoking.

If you have continual issues with your lighting and burn I would suggest you reevaluate the tools you are using and the technique you have, as like with everything, lighting a cigar is an art in itself. For people who have had continual issues with their light and burn I suggest to buy a few dollar cigars, even cut them in half and try to light them, then let them go out immediately without smoking them. Once out delicately cut them open to see how your lighting technique is working and if you are going beyond just lighting the foot and work from there to improve.

There are other issues with torches like fuel use, cleaning, refilling & purging, and one vs two vs twelve jets that I can cover too if anyone would be interested in hearing but I feel like this post has gotten long enough now.