PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone relate? Abandoned Humidor / in Shop

FriendlyMan
07-05-2012, 08:44 AM
Just want to share this with you just in case you might be in my area or have a similar situation in your area and understand what I'm talking about.

It used to be more common then nowa days for us to see candy stores or luncheonette as they used to be called when we where younger. Now they are called coffee shops, newspaper stands, bodegas, etc... And many of those shops had and some still have, big signs in the front with big lettering, Cigars, or Tobbaco & pipes etc....

Until recently, when I got in to cigars I figured out that it acctualy means that they have or had an actual humidor in house. Most of them did sell the machine made but some did actually sell real good cigars. Reason for me saying this I started going into one shop like that a couple months ago because its the closest one to my house. So I checked it out to see if I can save a trip.
So its a decent size shop pretty clean, magazines, coffee, newspapers, cold drinks, cigerets, and all other junk these stores sell. He has like 5 or more shelves with hookas , like people would buy them by the dozen.
And then he has this nice sized walk in humidor in the back. What should I say, it so sad to walk in there. It looks like or he was robbed, or the owner died or he lost his lease.
Unfortunately, its for none of those reasons.
Half of the humidor is empty, Most boxes he has you can tell are not new. A lot of the names are not known to me and many are. It seams to me the only up side to this situation is that the cigars he has are there for some time so they are better to smoke. He dose have some names like A. Fuentue, Montecristo, Macanudo etc.. and plenty of acids. He has a lot of different cigars some on the bottom are messed up, but most on the top just look like they are waiting there to be picked up. You could tell by the wrapper that these are aged a little, like the off color, I slowly bought out one size of the a. Funtes as the winter passed , and now if I go back I'll slowly buy out his griffins, I have to tell you these sticks are yummy. They might be a little to soft, not sure I don't know how humid that place is. But its safer then dry, I keep them for a few days until I'm ready to smoke the few I buy.
One more thing is the price, I'm not very sure how up to date they are. Definitely not cheap, It's NYC, but you could tell from the price tags they are not from today.
As a cigar person, what bothers me the most, is that the owner seems to have no interest in the cigar bushiness at all. Or he bought an old shop and is just keeping the humidor alive for as long as its going to last. or he is so fed up with the taxes and how slow bushiness is that he doesn't care. #1 I think in order to sell cigars you should know cigars which I'm not sure he dose. And he shows no interest at all. I asked him and tried to start a conversation about connecting with other cigar people like online, or sales people, other shops. etc.. I see plenty of cigar sellers who have a good relation ship and work together to keep it strong. His mind seems so set about the taxes chasing everyone away that I had no one to talk too. I just wanted to try to tell him that smokers still like to have a relationship with there B&M even if they order online but he just was so out of it.

Bottom line, if you are in Brooklyn & you want to look to see if they have something you like there, that is ready to smoke maybe you'll be interested in something. I am going back for more griffins. But @ $9.75 a stick I'm not ready to buy all of them at one shot.

Sorry for the long post.

icehog3
07-05-2012, 10:17 AM
Can you repeat that middle part?

maninblack
07-05-2012, 10:23 AM
Come again?

icehog3
07-05-2012, 10:32 AM
What am I, a p()rn star?

T.G
07-05-2012, 10:34 AM
Nice review...

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTIwMjA5ODc4Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNDEwOTg2._V1._ SX214_CR0,0,214,314_.jpg

14holestogie
07-05-2012, 10:36 AM
Fluffer to post #4, fluffer to #4. ;)

pnoon
07-05-2012, 10:38 AM
What am I, a p()rn star?

It's an adult thing. ;) :lr

maninblack
07-05-2012, 10:42 AM
What am I, a p()rn star?

Dirk Diggler you are not.

MajorCaptSilly
07-05-2012, 10:43 AM
I think somebody is trying to steal my schtick.

Waka Waka

MCS

area51
07-05-2012, 10:52 AM
Glad I'm not the only one who has no idea what the heck I just read. I get the jist, it just doesn't compute.

Stephen
07-05-2012, 11:15 AM
What am I, a p()rn star?
You wouldn't happen to be a Heat fan also, would you?? (http://withleather.uproxx.com/2012/06/the-miami-heat-****-stars-are-women-of-their-words-but-they-have-rules)

shilala
07-05-2012, 11:20 AM
I thought it was my pills. Then I figured it was my internet-induced attention span.

Stephen
07-05-2012, 11:21 AM
I thought it was my pills. Then I figured it was my internet-induced attention span.
From the sound of it Tom could use some of your pills. ;)

shilala
07-05-2012, 11:30 AM
I got it now. I had to highlight as I read. FriendlyMan, paragraphs make for a LOT easier reading. :tu

To your question, Yes, I relate. Not in talking to the owner to try to relieve his apathy, but on the shape of the humidor.
There's a shop over near Cuyahoga Falls with a great big walk-in and the shelves are covered with boxes. Literally, boxes. All are empty but a handful with maybe one or two cigars.

There were a couple guys manning the counter and they were too busy to bother with me, not that they had anything to sell. It was cool in a Twilight Zone kinda way. I have no idea how they keep the lights on, but they were still in business at that time.
I saw the same kind of thing at Grove City Outlet in PA., just not to the same level. They threw old boxes away, so there were about 10 boxes of cigars in a walk-in that'd hold at least 1000.

bobarian
07-05-2012, 11:36 AM
:sh

FriendlyMan
07-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Sorry, I just got back in to the office. It seems like I don't get the joke.
Do the fonts look to small? or I just wrote to much?

It looks normal on my end? can you please explain?

kaisersozei
07-05-2012, 02:07 PM

Your post read like a stream of consciousness meandering and the formatting contributed to making it hard to follow. :2

It sounds like you found a "tobacco" shop that doesn't specialize in cigars, and you were voicing your dismay over the relative apathy of the owner, but were pleased to find reasonably priced and smokable stock.

We have a few shops like that around here. Mostly sell cigarettes and other paraphenalia, have a small glass humidor with some cigars. I avoid those places and have never purchased there, but I also have a pretty big selection of professional B&Ms in my area.

ApexAZ
07-05-2012, 02:26 PM
I understand what you are saying. It is sad to see people lose interest in their business and start to neglect things. Those are the stores I assume won't stay in business that long.

I think some folks found it difficult to read because it wasn't organized into paragraphs very well.

Stephen
07-05-2012, 07:51 PM

Could be they're not fans of James Joyce. Hard to say.

Stephen
07-05-2012, 07:51 PM
Your post read like a stream of consciousness meandering and the formatting contributed to making it hard to follow.
Boo, you stole my thunder. :D

sikk50
07-05-2012, 08:00 PM
TL;DR

sorry

JenksAnejo
07-05-2012, 08:02 PM
I heard the taxes suck in NYC.

Maybe you should check out a few cigar websites online? You will probably be able to score some cigars at cheaper cost. You'll most likely be able to find whatever your looking for. :2