PDA

View Full Version : Xen by Nish Patel

captTrips
07-01-2012, 07:53 PM
I've heard a lot of comments, both pro and con, about this cigar so I thought I'd chime in with my two cents. I'm by no means some hotshot cigar reviewer, but I know what I like and this cigar is one of my favorites. It has a great burn with a white/gray ash that held for almost 1 1/2 inches. The first third revealed spice along with some earthy tones. In the second third the spice intensified and the cigar developed a more pronounced earthy flavor with coffee and some woody notes. I think what I liked most was the rich creamy finish that lingered on the pallet. Some have described it as "chalky" or "ashy", but I noted none of this. I also like the use of an ecuadorian Connecticut wrapper.

Ogre
07-01-2012, 07:58 PM
Not a big Connecticut fan, but may give them a try. Thanks for the review.

DaBear
07-01-2012, 09:06 PM
I thought flavor-wise, it was a solid morning smoke. My main problem was in construction. They did not roll the wrapper well at all on the one I smoked. You coulda pushed the filler and binder out while holding on the the wrapper lightly and been left with a "wrapper tube" it was so loose. I know they have to leave the wrapper slightly loose for a box press, but you'd think with how many box pressed smokes RP does they'd have that down pat. My coworkers who tried the other samples had the same sentiments. Either way a good breakfast stick if you can get past the whole wrapper issue. :2

Dunkel
07-02-2012, 12:14 AM
You coulda pushed the filler and binder out while holding on the the wrapper lightly and been left with a "wrapper tube" it was so loose.

Don't give the punks any ideas, or the next catch phrase might be "I'm smokin' a Xen blunt, yo!" :D

captTrips
07-02-2012, 05:12 AM
I thought flavor-wise, it was a solid morning smoke. My main problem was in construction. They did not roll the wrapper well at all on the one I smoked. You coulda pushed the filler and binder out while holding on the the wrapper lightly and been left with a "wrapper tube" it was so loose. I know they have to leave the wrapper slightly loose for a box press, but you'd think with how many box pressed smokes RP does they'd have that down pat. My coworkers who tried the other samples had the same sentiments. Either way a good breakfast stick if you can get past the whole wrapper issue. :2

I've never had a construction problem with any of mine. In fact, I was thinking last night that it was great how I can bite the foot and it doesn't fall apart.

maninblack
07-02-2012, 11:22 AM
Never had much luck with a Patel product.

dannysguitar
07-02-2012, 04:25 PM
I smoked one yesterday that had a patch near the band. Didn't really make a difference though. Smoked fine. A little spicier that yout typical Connecticut, but still a Connecticut. Have not found many I like other than Oliva and EPC NW. $.02

kelmac07
07-02-2012, 05:41 PM
Never had much luck with a Patel product.

Same story here. :2

TJtorpedo
07-03-2012, 07:06 PM
^^^

Yup, same with me. Although I did find the first Patel Bros to be very good.