PDA

View Full Version : Beads go bad?

TJtorpedo
06-29-2012, 07:12 PM
I'm not throwing any manufacturer under the bus, but I've had some Heartfelt beads for about 7 years with absolutely no problems thus far (only using distilled water), but for anyone that has used them for an extended period of time: Do they eventually go bad?

Mine have begun to take on a slight "off" smell, not mold per se, but slighty musty. Some of the individual beads also look like they have picked up a couple of opaque brown or green spots. I didn't think they could ever get moldy, but :confused:

Doesn't seem to affect how they absorb water and still regulate humidity, and I've more than gotten my money's worth, but I'm just wondering if they give it up after a certain time frame?

bobarian
06-30-2012, 01:26 AM
No

Fordman4ever
06-30-2012, 08:15 AM
I've never heard of them going bad, but if they are starting to smell "off" then I wouldn't chance it. I'd buy some more Heartfelt or go with shilala beads

theonlybear4CORT
06-30-2012, 11:31 AM
Well the one adriftpanda uses do go bad,they start out white but after a few uses they end up maduro. Humidity beads don't go bad from what I read.

ChicagoWhiteSox
06-30-2012, 11:40 AM
Well the one adriftpanda uses do go bad,they start out white but after a few uses they end up maduro. Humidity beads don't go bad from what I read.

Post of the year:r

Adriftpanda
06-30-2012, 12:20 PM
D1ck!

md4958
06-30-2012, 12:23 PM
Well the one adriftpanda uses do go bad,they start out white but after a few uses they end up maduro.

Dont put those in your humi either or your cigars will taste like $hit!

Post of the year:r
:tpd:

OLS
07-03-2012, 02:47 PM
You just have to pull them out slower...

icehog3
07-03-2012, 02:59 PM
You just have to pull them out slower...

Yeah, that's it. Slower. Slower. Slower. Yeaaah.

dwoodward
07-04-2012, 10:18 PM
Yeah, that's it. Slower. Slower. Slower. Yeaaah.

:emo2004

awsmith4
07-04-2012, 10:22 PM
You guys are killing me! :r

Similar comments arose when I posted this a couple years ago

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=35486

On topic, the beads I mentioned in my thread are still in use and work perfectly

icehog3
07-04-2012, 11:54 PM
:emo2004

It's an adult thing. ;) :lr

Bill86
07-05-2012, 12:18 AM
This thread went from meh to awesome real fast. Well done :r

OLS
07-06-2012, 08:43 AM
On topic I Dremeled the end off of my "Montecristo" branded humi-stick yesterday and spoked out all the crappy
crystals it came with and replaced them with nice, fresh beads. Instead of a boveda pack on this trip to the Smokies
I am going to try beads. In the end its as irrelevant as most of what I say here, I could take the box dry and still
love the taste of the smokes in it. It's that getting home with dry cigars that I failed to get to I would like to avoid.

I love beads. It's not the putting them in that's so great, it's the taking them out that matters, I think.
I am going to put the travel humidor on the floor because I read somewhere that I have to bend over to
properly insert the beads. Not sure if it was a cigar-related page though, so we'll take it slow just to be safe.
I will have the beads in for a solid week in the smokies. I plan on sitting down in some cool mountain streams,
too, so that should feel extra good. Then when I get home, I am just gonna yank em out in one smooth motion.

RHerrington
07-06-2012, 11:31 AM
I love beads. It's not the putting them in that's so great, it's the taking them out that matters, I think.
I am going to put the travel humidor on the floor because I read somewhere that I have to bend over to
properly insert the beads. Not sure if it was a cigar-related page though, so we'll take it slow just to be safe.
I will have the beads in for a solid week in the smokies. I plan on sitting down in some cool mountain streams,
too, so that should feel extra good. Then when I get home, I am just gonna yank em out in one smooth motion.

LOL! :r:r:r

shilala
07-06-2012, 11:59 AM
It's supposed to sound like you're starting a chainsaw when you yank them out, Brad.

theonlybear4CORT
07-06-2012, 03:13 PM
Like a chainsaw? I was told like a 18 wheelers jake brake.