PDA

View Full Version : MTX-multi-tool

GodOfFire
06-27-2012, 06:27 PM
http://www.xikar.com/products/cutters/mtx-multi-tool/

Do you have one? How often do you use it? would you buy another?

Jackie

GreekGodX
06-27-2012, 06:36 PM
I want one. They are small, sleek and work great :tu

Bill86
06-27-2012, 06:42 PM
They are WELL worth the coin. Believe me when I say this, they are SHARP. I was messing around with one while drunk and it removed exactly one layer of skin. Didn't bleed and I didn't even feel it. Excellent cutter :tu

I use mine all the time. I sold my Palio and XI to keep this one and a punch, that should say something.

shilala
06-27-2012, 07:23 PM
I have one in one of my travel humi's, but I've never used it much. It does do a nice job, for sure. Up till now, I never even knew it did "multi-tool" stuff. Shows how much I pay attention.

Bill86
06-27-2012, 07:28 PM
I have one in one of my travel humi's, but I've never used it much. It does do a nice job, for sure. Up till now, I never even knew it did "multi-tool" stuff. Shows how much I pay attention.

The lighter bleeding tool is particularly useful. I don't even know what else is on it.

CigarNut
06-27-2012, 08:01 PM
I have one from a group buy on CA a while back. I don't use it often, but it does work very well.

Mugen910
06-27-2012, 08:28 PM
I use mine all the time. It sits in my golf bag since that's usually the only time I get a cigar in. I just wish the cut was as good as my Palio.

GreekGodX
06-27-2012, 08:31 PM
I use mine all the time. It sits in my golf bag since that's usually the only time I get a cigar in. I just wish the cut was as good as my Palio.

Palio cannot be beat IMO :2 turns out you are a smart malaka :r

Mugen910
06-27-2012, 09:49 PM
Palio cannot be beat IMO :2 turns out you are a smart malaka :r

I know right! :D

CRIMPS
06-28-2012, 11:20 AM
I think Brutus2600 uses one of these and swears by it... at least he did when I saw him using it. Maybe PM him for a review if you wish.

stearns
06-30-2012, 08:35 AM
picked one up in the first troop auction, very happy with the performance, but still can't top a palio in my opinion. that being said, i don't see myself getting rid of the mtx any time soon, it usually travels with me because of how small it gets

md4958
06-30-2012, 10:41 AM
I was gifted one by TRicker several years ago (thanks Tim!). I used it weekly-I keep it in my desk drawer at work.

Its handy, small, and light. Im trying to think of one instance where I used the other tools that it comes with... maybe the flat blade once to adjust my lighter?

The blades are sharp, however I prefer my Palio's cut.

If youre going to spend the money, buy a Palio instead.

Duke9192
07-18-2012, 03:53 PM
It is a must have cutter to have. I use mine at least once a week along with my other cutters.

tsolomon
07-18-2012, 05:33 PM
I have one and it's a great cutter. I first saw one used at a local B&M where the owner would use it to cut the cigar you were going to smoke. He made it look easy and I thought that it was really cool. It takes some getting use to, but you can take little cuts until you get just the bare minimum needed to have a good draw. So when I use my Palio now, I try for that same cut. :2

Pilon
07-18-2012, 05:42 PM
I have one i've been using for a few years now. sharp as the day i bought it. its good to nip little pieces of the head of the cigar and work your way around it to keep it firm and from unraveling. it also has a nice piece ( the lighter bleeder as i read above) to use as a nub holder. the bottle opener i don't use because a friend told me he used it and broke the back spring part so now it flops around loosely which would be annoying.

Pilon
07-18-2012, 05:48 PM
i also requested a free sheath from xikar for it.

Pilon
07-18-2012, 05:50 PM
i don't work for nor represent empire cigars but they have these on sale.

http://www.egars.com/product_p/cutximtxch.htm

it may be worth calling them too to see if they can ship it cheaper since its a small item. always worth a shot.

md4958
07-18-2012, 06:02 PM
One of the problems with Xikar though is that you need to send in an item for repair or replacement, and it can take up to 3 weeks to be returned.

With Palio, you walk in to a Palio retailer and they will swap it out on the spot.

Eleven
07-18-2012, 10:09 PM
I have one. It is indeed the sharpest thing on the planet.

Only complaint I have is one of the flip out attachments got bent too far back and it lost its tension. It now flops and flails around. I ended up taking a small drill and wedged it between the piece and the rest of the body to hold it in place.

Subvet642
07-19-2012, 06:11 AM
One of the problems with Xikar though is that you need to send in an item for repair or replacement, and it can take up to 3 weeks to be returned.

With Palio, you walk in to a Palio retailer and they will swap it out on the spot.

The B&M I bought my Xikar lighter from said I could bring it back there and he could replace it immediately. :sh

md4958
07-19-2012, 08:40 AM
The B&M I bought my Xikar lighter from said I could bring it back there and he could replace it immediately. :sh

Maybe, but if you go the the xikar site it instructs you to send it in. I know that the B&M nearby will send them in for you, but you still have to wait a few weeks for it to be returned.

http://xikar.com/warranty/

Pilon
07-20-2012, 11:59 AM

My local B&M will do the same. They give you a new one on the spot, send in the busted one for replacement and stock the new one returned to them to replace the one they gave away.

Subvet642
07-20-2012, 12:02 PM
My local B&M will do the same. They give you a new one on the spot, send in the busted one for replacement and stock the new one returned to them to replace the one they gave away.

Exactly!

Brutus2600
07-20-2012, 12:42 PM
I think Brutus2600 uses one of these and swears by it... at least he did when I saw him using it. Maybe PM him for a review if you wish.

I somehow missed this thread when it was started, but yes, I love the MTX scissors!

I used a Palio for about a year before I bought the MTX, but after I did I've literally used the Palio once. It's nothing against the Palio, they're phenomenal cutters, but I just love the scissors more.

So really I'm not sure if I like my MTX better because I like a scissor cutter better or if I think it's a superior cutter. I can't really tell you that.

I'll have to use my Palio this weekend and do a direct comparison. I'll post up my findings.

Fia
07-20-2012, 03:17 PM

Ditto. The retailer can exchange it if he wants to. The retailer will be given a replacement by Xikar for the one exchanged. I have heard of these situations before and it may be a case where the retailer is not purchasing a xikar item direct from Xikar but from a mid level distributor. In that case, the retailer may be unaware of the Xikar exchange policy that they have with retailers.

Fia
07-20-2012, 03:27 PM
I have one. It is indeed the sharpest thing on the planet.

Only complaint I have is one of the flip out attachments got bent too far back and it lost its tension. It now flops and flails around. I ended up taking a small drill and wedged it between the piece and the rest of the body to hold it in place.

Maybe you should have it exchanged if you dont mind mailing it in unless your retailer would like to do an exchange. Xikar uses the returns to see common problems to improve future designs.

Eleven
07-20-2012, 11:21 PM
Maybe you should have it exchanged if you dont mind mailing it in unless your retailer would like to do an exchange. Xikar uses the returns to see common problems to improve future designs.

Actually I never thought about it. I'm normally not a Return It kinda guy but now that you mentioned it, I could stop by the retailer I bought it from, I'm near there twice a week anyway.