PDA

View Full Version : Any tech support guys here?

hammondc
06-27-2012, 02:47 PM
I think my Time Warner issued router is failing and I am trying to trouble shoot it. What I need to know is- can the aircard in my Macbook cause packet loss? If I ping Google, I am losing 25-40% of the packets.

If I plug a LAN cable directly to the ethernet port, I only lose 1-2 or none at all.

If I ping from my work computer (windows) I do not LOSE packets, but some of the ping times get huge (300ms, up from ~31ms).

I have tried off/on for the router and the aircard. In both cases, it will work great for 5-10 mins and then start filing again.

Jefft72
06-27-2012, 03:30 PM
It's been years since I have done any trouble shooting, but I will give it a shot.

Since your work PC seems to be working well enough (I assume wirelessly) and the Macbook has good performance while hard wired I would think that troubleshooting the aircard further would be a good next step.

If you are able to take the macbook to another location and use the wireless network there that might help to isolate the issue. A neighbor close by or a local Starbucks/cigar lounge perhaps would let you check the aircard easily.

Hope you find the issue and are able to get it resolved easily enough.

CigarNut
06-27-2012, 03:47 PM
How far away from the router is your Mac when it fails? Does it get better if you move closer to the router and worse if you move farther away?

Jeff makes a good point too -- what happens when you connect to a different network?

markem
06-27-2012, 03:55 PM
The next step should be, as has been mentioned, to see if you have the same problem using a different router. If you do, then it may be the air card. I would put the card in another machine and see if you can duplicate the issue. If the problem appears to the the wireless side of the router, then call tech support. They will talk you through a hard reset in case some parameters got messed up.

You can also try seeing if someone else's environment is interfering with yours. Tools like inSSIDer (http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider-wifi-scanner/?utm_expid=190328-1) work great for this.

Could be many things, but stepwise refinement is the key to isolating the problem.

CRIMPS
06-27-2012, 04:03 PM
First, check to see if your Computer is plugged in. ;s

hammondc
06-27-2012, 04:14 PM
Now I am getting timeout when wired directly. I guess I'll call to TWC tomorrow.

--- google.com ping statistics ---
100 packets transmitted, 81 packets received, 19.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 29.244/32.840/61.038/5.246 ms

Mark- That is a fantastic link. I will be using that soon.

Silound
06-27-2012, 04:30 PM
Biggest question: is this router a modem/router combo or is it an independent router connected via an ethernet cable to the modem?

If it is independent, then connect your computer to the modem directly, do a power cycle, and see if you still have packet loss directly through the modem. Some packet loss ( <5% ) is acceptable in any internet connection, but if you experience that loss directly though the modem, then your router is probably not to blame.

If it's a combo device, I would just go ahead and replace it anyway.

hammondc
06-27-2012, 04:59 PM
combo, POS that TWC hands out. I scowled at it after the guy pulled it from the box. I have read that a lot of folks have trouble with them. Its a Ubee brand. WTF?

neoflex
06-27-2012, 05:08 PM
That sounds about right. IMO all of TWCs equipment is junk. I'm currently in the process of trying to find a viable replacement for them as I am tired of paying through the nose for crappy service.

hammondc
06-27-2012, 05:09 PM
Yeah, I would dump them, but it is company paid, so......free is for me.

fencefixer
06-27-2012, 05:11 PM
What's the model # for your modem/router combo? PM me your number and I'll call you in a bit.

hammondc
06-27-2012, 09:47 PM
What's the model # for your modem/router combo? PM me your number and I'll call you in a bit.

Just saw this! I have the TMC folks coming out tomorrow. Hopefully they can fix it. It is a DDW3611, BTW.