PDA

View Full Version : Ave Maria suggestions

Big Maduro
06-26-2012, 12:37 PM
I've never had one of this brand. Can anyone recomend one? Maybe desribe the flavor profile. I understand AJ Fernandez has had a hand in some. I'm a big AJ fan.

BeerAdvocate
06-26-2012, 02:57 PM
I am a huge AJ fan also so I was excited to try this smoke. I was somewhat dissapointed but others like them. I have only had the robusto

pektel
06-26-2012, 03:03 PM
I bought a 5er of the torp (St. George IIRC). Didn't care for them either. I'd still like to try the reconquista though.

kelmac07
06-26-2012, 03:51 PM
I really enjoyed these...solid smoke for the buck. Had a few Reconquistas and was not impressed. :2

Diths0er
07-03-2012, 11:14 AM
I'm also a big A.J. fan, so I was excited by all of the hype around this cigar. I had one a few months ago, but can't really remember much about it, other than a nice sweet maple syrup flavour and the fact it burned really well. I let it sit for a good ten minutes or so and it was still it. Wasn't as memorable as I had hoped. I have other cigars that I've only smoked once years ago and can still remember exactly what they tasted like. My Ave Maria was around eight moths old out of the humi, but now that I'm thinking more about it, I do recall that maple syrup flavour was quite powerful and kind of nice. Think I'll have to try another one tonight.

ironchefscott
07-03-2012, 12:01 PM
I was given one of these by a cigar buddy the other day....I actually had to put it down and stop smoking it......It actually might have been one of the most boring smokes I have ever had. But he loved them and said they were one of his favorites....I did not notice the maple syrup flavor at all and honestly it kinda tasted like burnt sawdust...my GF also complained about the smell of the cigar and she normally loves the smell of my smokes. Different strokes for different folks?

Big Maduro
07-04-2012, 08:36 AM
Sounds like I'm just gonna have to man up and try one.

shibby4781
08-31-2012, 09:34 PM
Sorry to be tardy to the party but I just received the Ave Maria Box Sampler this afternoon and had to break into it because I have been excited to try these. I scored a great deal this from the devil's site. The box and presentation is very nice. I love most of the AJ blends I have tried as of late and this seemed right up my ally. I'm smoking the Clermont. A corona at 5.5" x 45. I have to say I am really enjoying the size. I usually go for the 50 -54 RG. It is a beautifully constructed cigar. The draw is perfect and the burn is razor sharp. Even for a fast smoker it seems to have a "Wolverine" like healing mutation if it get out of whack. The flavor was not what I expected however. While not bad just not what I expected. I get strong notes of an earthy and wood flavor (maybe cedar) and leather. Every so often some faint cream and sweet tobacco comes through. There is a strange bitter flavor throughout that throws me off. I like the flavor of the draw and the smell of the exhale but the aftertaste is much to be desired. It is ashy. This flavor extremely calmed down now, pretty much at the nub. This is what is keeping it from a 4-5 star rating IMO. I'm hoping with some age that will mellow out.

REALMCCOY
09-09-2012, 04:44 PM
I had one the other day. I managed to save it from some serious cap damage caused by my 2 year old. It was okay. I enjoy the Man O War seconds and thought the Ave was similar tasting with a dryer finish, kinda like a Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet. Construction and burn were perfect, but flavor and finish was not what I typically prefer. They have been resting since February.

Catfishbluezz
09-10-2012, 12:27 PM
I liked them in the larger ring gauges, which is opposite of my preference. The reconquista is good with age and has a nice change up.

lilninjabuddy
09-10-2012, 01:07 PM
Interesting. The one I've had, I don't remember being at all memorable.