PDA

View Full Version : Zippo lighter torch insert

jjmitchem
06-25-2012, 05:06 PM
Anyone seen this:

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/16565

I've seen them in the past when I think Blazer sold them. This company is stating they have a dual flame insert.

I would love to use my old Zippo for my cigars - I just don't understand why Zippo won't do this. Has anyone tried one of these?

icehog3
06-25-2012, 05:34 PM
I have a couple of the single flames, Chappy....they worked for a few months each and then crapped out, using Vector butane.

vzontini
06-25-2012, 05:46 PM
My girlfriend has one and has had it for several months without issues. It was about $10 so as long as you expect to get $10 worth and you should be happy. Good thing is if it dies it pops right out and you can replace it. I got her a custom laser engraved Zippo body so this is a nice feature.

NCRadioMan
06-25-2012, 06:02 PM
I love the Z-Plus inserts. Never had a problem with them.

icehog3
06-25-2012, 06:04 PM
I love the Z-Plus inserts. Never had a problem with them.

I got duds! :mad:

Ender
06-25-2012, 06:17 PM
I've been through 2 Z-plus inserts. On my third that works still for a few months now but for some reason it won't work unless I take it out of the zippo case. I think it's because it's too tight and restricts air to the thingamajig on the side.

Jasonw560
06-25-2012, 07:20 PM
I debated between this one and the Vector Thunderbird. I chose the T-Bird, and I'm very happy with it. Vector also makes a soft flame insert, which I also have and am happy with. And they still havethat Zippo "click" when you open them.

replicant_argent
06-25-2012, 07:25 PM
I know a guy that sells Z-torch inserts. I have been using one infrequently for a few years and it seems to hold up pretty well.

Shameless plug... VVV

big a
06-25-2012, 07:32 PM

Same here. The one I got didn't work from day 1... It's a good idea, they just need to work on quality.

physiognomy
06-25-2012, 07:40 PM
I've used one regularly for a few years now... It lights well here at altitude and doesn't cause me problems as long as I remember to keep a small spacer in the bottom of my zippo (I use a bit of a match stick - reminds me I need to put in a new one). Don't ask me why this helps! They aren't the best in terms of fuel capacity, but definitely lasts me a full day herfing.

Tom, do yours light when out of the case? Try putting something small in the bottom of the case... ???

icehog3
06-25-2012, 08:21 PM
Tom, do yours light when out of the case? Try putting something small in the bottom of the case... ???

I will try that when I get home..thanks for the idea, Peter! :)

jjmitchem
06-25-2012, 09:47 PM
You would think with the nostalgia of the original Zippo, Zippo themselves would come out with a good insert. I don't like the way their Zippo Blu looks

I have an old Army Zippo that was given to me when I returned home from Desert Storm. I would love to use that for my cigars

icehog3
06-25-2012, 11:18 PM
I got one of the two to work by removing it...thank you, Peter. :)

physiognomy
06-26-2012, 12:15 AM
No worries. Glad you got one working, Tom.

area51
06-26-2012, 01:09 AM
My buddy has one it works great.

chachee52
06-26-2012, 06:36 AM
I've been using one for a while. Had to tinker with the controls to keep the flame going. It used to go out a lot or the flame was so small that I'd have to put the ciage on the lighter to light it up. Also, as mentioned above, it tends to go through gas quickly. I've deffinitely gotten my money out of it at this point.

Big Bert
06-26-2012, 07:49 AM
Hey for around 10$ I think is a good buy I haven't got one yet but I will one day just to try em out :D you could never have enough Lighters and cutters imo

BigCat
06-26-2012, 08:48 AM
I have had 2 of the z-plus for 3-4 years and they're still going strong. I use them all the time.

hostile
06-26-2012, 11:13 AM
I know a guy that sells Z-torch inserts. I have been using one infrequently for a few years and it seems to hold up pretty well.

Shameless plug... VVV

Terrible website and love how you can't order and no infos given

replicant_argent
06-26-2012, 02:20 PM

Nice review. How about taking a slightly less douchey approach? I know the site isn't working well, however, I am certainly quite accommodating. You could even address questions here, or perhaps by PM.

markem
06-26-2012, 02:38 PM

I did not know that. Most people here know that if a vendor is a member, just PM or call them to ask questions and such. That's what I've always done with Pete. Heck, I've even told him to surprise me with regards to a lighter and he set me up right.

But I'm like you a lot of the time and prefer to complain rather than be constructive, so I know where you are coming from.

CigarNut
06-26-2012, 03:28 PM
I love my Evertorch. It's not the Z-Torch -- is better :D

Thanks Pete!

Jasonw560
06-26-2012, 07:10 PM
I have the Vector Thunderbird in both soft and torch. I click on stogiefresh and see the Z Torch. Dual flame, fits the Zippo. I'm trying to be good with money, now THIS!!

If I get one, I'll need a new Zippo case for it.

lilninjabuddy
06-27-2012, 12:06 PM
First of all, Jason, your dang avatar totally got me sitting at my desk saying "gullible" really slowly...

Secondly, I've had a Thunderbird insert for about a year, and it's my primary lighter. I carry a Ronson as a backup, but this is my favorite. I love the Zippo sound, and this works just great.

smileypg43
06-27-2012, 01:01 PM
I have two Zippo Blu lighters and they both do not work. One has a fuel leak. The other I tried to use after fueling and letting it sit for about 3 hours. The thing actually went poof--like a small explosion. Been using a Cigar Savor dual flamer, a ronson--they are sooo inexpensive, a Bic, and matches. While on vacation in Cancun at the cigar lounge they would light your smokie treat using a cedar strip.

jjmitchem
06-27-2012, 04:00 PM
My go to lighter that has never failed me is a Brunton Firestorm torch lighter. I have a duel torch that I picked up at te NEX here on Oahu that works well too

Like you said Derek, there is just something about the sound of a Zippo