PDA

View Full Version : The 5 Best Cigars to Give Your Cigar Newbie Friends

lenguamor
06-24-2012, 06:42 PM
http://cigardojo.com/2012/06/the-5-best-cigars-to-give-to-your-cigar-newbie-friends/

Inexpensive. A inexpensive cigar should fall under $5 per stick mark. Any cigar over $5 might be a waste since it's likely a newer smoker may not enjoy smoking in the first place so why risk a super premium on a new smoker?
Easy draw. A cigar for a new smoker needs to have an easy draw, the last thing you want is to have a new smoker huffing and puffing just to find flavor. Furthermore, new cigar smokers tend to smoke too quickly heating up the cigar so if you are there to coach them to slow down you want the cigar they are smoking to be easy to draw so they can work less for the flavor.
Quality construction. A good cigar for a newbie should have a good burn, you really want to avoid having your friends worrying more about relighting the cigar than the flavors they are trying to appreciate. Smoking a good cigar shouldn't require much effort.
Interesting flavors. New cigar smokers want to be blown away by interesting flavors. After all, the very fact that they are smoking means they probably feel like they are secretly taking a walk on the wild side. Give them something to remember, something with flavor.
Size matters. For a new cigar smoker choose a robusto size stick. Robustos are easy to cut, light, handle, and smoke. A new cigar smoker doesn't want to feel overwhelmed by the cigar smoking experience and a robusto is a great size to "ease" them into the hobby.
Middle ground. I wouldn't pick a cigar too mild, nor too strong in either flavor or nicotine kick. Cigars that are too mild might not be interesting enough to grab a new cigar smokers attention yet something too strong might have them barfing in the bathroom which is never a good way to introduce someone to cigar smoking.

I don't know that this is the be-all and end-all, but it certainly is a good, informative guideline.

Even a couple of the five cigar suggestions aren't bad.

688sonarmen
06-24-2012, 06:54 PM
I always go with Padron 3000's, to me that's the definition of a basic cigar.

lenguamor
06-24-2012, 06:59 PM

Very nice choice.

Ogre
06-24-2012, 07:05 PM
Any of the PDR line. I love the Red.

longknocker
06-24-2012, 07:07 PM
EP Carillo New Wave Connecticut!:tu

maninblack
06-24-2012, 07:08 PM
601 Blue!

Brian D.
06-24-2012, 07:59 PM
Flor de Oliva, either sumatra or 'Gold' variant. The latter is arguably "too" mild but not for a newbie.

pektel
06-24-2012, 08:05 PM
Cohiba Sig II. I know it's over the $5 mark, but damn it's a good smoke.

To stay cheaper, probably trini Reyes.

CigarNut
06-24-2012, 08:17 PM
- Padron x000 series
- Macanudo (any)
- Hemingway Short Story
- Cohiba Sig I
- Fonseca Cosacos

WittyUserName
06-24-2012, 09:12 PM
I normally start with mild smokes. If they are looking to make a purchase I point them toward samplers by strength.

RobR1205
06-24-2012, 09:22 PM
Arturo Fuente Cuban Corona. Cheap, quality construction, and tasty! Most Green labeled Fuentes are of similar quality and price range!

N2 GOLD
06-24-2012, 09:24 PM

Agree, -(P

gbum
06-24-2012, 09:31 PM
padron or oliva o/g will be my choice...

Ismith75
06-24-2012, 09:36 PM
HdM Excalibur, Padron x000, Montesino Natural.

irratebass
06-25-2012, 04:31 AM
Oliva
Perdomo
Alec Bradley
Macanudo

Blak Smyth
06-25-2012, 06:03 AM
EP Carillo New Wave Connecticut!:tu

That is a great choice!

Subvet642
06-25-2012, 06:17 AM
Cohiba Sig II. I know it's over the $5 mark, but damn it's a good smoke.

To stay cheaper, probably trini Reyes.

My personal favorite. I've given them to people who don't really smoke, and everyone loves them.

Hem
06-25-2012, 06:21 AM
Good thread! I always try to offer something mild, even though everyone wants to reach for the "prettiest" wrapper.

shopkins82
06-25-2012, 07:23 AM
I'm one of the few who really enjoys sweet-tip sticks, and I also find most of my friends who smoke rarely or not at all also enjoy them. The sweetness seems to counter-balance what they often perceive as harsh or ashy regardless of how mild the stick may be. Baccarat and Diamondback are usually my go-to and easy to find locally at around $5/stick. If I have them on-hand, CI Legends Copper Label (Drew Estates) definitely seem to be a favorite with new/non-smokers.

CRIMPS
06-25-2012, 08:33 AM
Oliva o/g
H. Upmann Coronas Major Tubo

CigarDojo
06-25-2012, 12:25 PM
Awesome comments and suggestions, and I'm glad you enjoyed the article!

jjirons69
06-25-2012, 12:29 PM
When reading I was thinking the Padron series. A couple others said Macanudos. The Macs are mild and should be easy to handle by a newb. I think a good Dominican with a Conn wrapper should fare well.

Or maybe a LFD Chisel :D.

smitty81
06-25-2012, 12:43 PM
Brickhouse or Sanch Panza Maduro?

irratebass
06-25-2012, 01:27 PM

Brick House!!!! :banger :ss

ktblunden
06-25-2012, 01:36 PM
Padron x000 series is the definition of easy draw and good construction. You'd be hard pressed to find another one more consistent. I've had pretty good luck giving the Diesel UC and Shorty to new smokers, even though they're on the full bodied side. Gimmicks aside I like the Nub line for being able to show a new smoker the differences between the different wrappers.

czerbe
06-25-2012, 01:50 PM
I'll second a Brickhouse or even a La Traviata later in the day.

Legend.airy
06-25-2012, 01:51 PM
I push them to the brick house for price and flavor

CigarDojo
06-25-2012, 02:14 PM

Brick House!!!! :banger :ss

I'll second a Brickhouse or even a La Traviata later in the day.

I push them to the brick house for price and flavorBrick house was on my short list. That's a great choice for a new cigar smoker.

Dunkel
06-25-2012, 02:42 PM
Top 5 would be 5 cigars in my humidor that I used to really like but for whatever reason just sit. If I liked them once they should like them as well.

Big Bert
06-25-2012, 03:43 PM
Hmmm I'll definitely use this if I ever find someone who is more of a noob then me :D

MrWolf55
06-25-2012, 03:57 PM
Arturo Fuente Cuban Corona. Cheap, quality construction, and tasty! Most Green labeled Fuentes are of similar quality and price range!

+1. I keep a box of the petit coronas in my humi and to me they're a mind blowing smoke for the price. :dr

Anytime a new smoker asks me for a stick that's what I usually give them. Mild strength, 40 min-tops smoking time, decent complexity for the size, won't turn them green, and all for less than $4 a smoke.

Krish the Fish
06-25-2012, 04:29 PM
Brickhouse, La Traviata, Namakubi (the ones with the silver bands), and my go-to recommendation, which is the Fuente Rosado Sun Grown.

CRIMPS
06-25-2012, 04:59 PM
Arturo Fuente Chateau Fuente has been received quite well from some newer smokers, too. Not sure about the $5 price limit, though.

Theo Cincy
06-25-2012, 05:12 PM
La triviata
Tat Petite cazadora reserva
Perdomo cameroon cabinet reserve
LFD cameroon PC
Plpc if I have some

shibby4781
06-25-2012, 06:34 PM
Give them an ACID! They'll be hooked! Then when they realize what they are missing. Give them an Alec Bradley. Finally, give them any Padron and tell them there are no other cigars in the world they should concern their pretty little head with.

Dunkel
06-25-2012, 06:38 PM
Give them an ACID! They'll be hooked! Then when they realize what they are missing. Give them an Alec Bradley.

The guy did say "friend". Acid is gross and Alec Bradley cigars for the most part are disappointing.

FriendlyMan
06-25-2012, 06:53 PM
I don't know about anyone else. But I usally couldnt send cigars that I havnt tried my self.
Basically, if its good for me its good for you. If I'm not sure, then I couldn't send it.

shibby4781
06-25-2012, 07:54 PM
Acid is gross and Alec Bradley cigars for the most part are disappointing.

You're gross & for the most part disappointing.:fu I kid, I kid! For all I know you may just be one or the other and not both. Besides what if we give our "friend" a Padron, or for the sake of argument, any cigar at all. It is a good chance it just may not be the experience or taste they are expecting and it turns them completely off. Then a few months later they say, "I didn't like the gross taste of that Padron, I want to try this ACID brand I have heard so much about." They like it and smoke them for a bit. They then happen to try some of Drew Estate non-flavored sticks and decide they want to venture to other lines. Some mentions that Alec Bradley is worth a try and the Prensado just happened to be in Cigar Aficionado's top 1 of 2011. The friend smokes it and likes it so friend tries others in that line and likes them. Now that friend has tried some variety you offer him a Padron again but he still remembers that first one that they did not like. My point is the discovery and exploration is different for each individual. Everyone has different tastes. What may be gross and disappointing to one may be pure bliss to another. Let them smoke what they want and be sure to try a wide variety and have fun! Just my :2

pektel
06-25-2012, 08:19 PM
I would never give a friend an infused cigar. Unless they specifically asked for one. Why anyone would want to smoke a cigar that was made to not taste like a cigar is beyond me. But I don't judge. I have a cooler of infused cigars. They belong to the girlfriend, courtesy of a massive bomb from ninjavanish. She digs the flavored smokes. But most girls do. And if it gets her to smoke with me, all the better.

lenguamor
06-25-2012, 08:58 PM
Awesome comments and suggestions, and I'm glad you enjoyed the article!

Welcome, Eric!

dwoodward
06-25-2012, 09:03 PM
To be honest, I would say any cigar you got in a sampler/trade/gift that you personally do not like. Don't give a dog rocket to them, just good cigars that do not fit your palate. If you have no use for them, perhaps your friend will like them.

lenguamor
06-25-2012, 09:11 PM
The La Aurora Cameroons are an excellent beginners' cigar. And in the $3-4 range, very forgiving of noobs.

oooo35980
06-25-2012, 09:37 PM
Depends on their history with Tobacco products, alot of people I know smoke cigarettes or dip, I'd probably give any of them an Undercrown. A complete tobacco virgin, I'd give a CI legends red label, or possibly a Baccarat Connie, because I have some that I don't smoke and it's better to ease newbies into it.

shibby4781
06-25-2012, 10:31 PM
I would never give a friend an infused cigar. Unless they specifically asked for one. Why anyone would want to smoke a cigar that was made to not taste like a cigar is beyond me. But I don't judge.

I'm not trying to defend infused. I have had my fair share. If the mood strikes me, I will smoke one but they aren't always my first choice. In my opinion some are good some are not so good. However, IT IS a genre of cigars and THEY ARE CIGARS. They taste good to some and not good to others. Again, everyone has their own tastes. To some that may be just what a cigar should taste like. I don't piss on people that drink Coors Light but I do piss in it.

Theo Cincy
06-26-2012, 05:11 AM
Smoke what you like and like what you smoke.....

shibby4781
06-26-2012, 08:36 AM
Smoke what you like and like what you smoke.....
:tu:tu:tu That pretty much sums it up. I wish I wasn't so long winded. LOL.

RobR1205
06-26-2012, 08:38 AM
Depends on their history with Tobacco products, alot of people I know smoke cigarettes or dip, I'd probably give any of them an Undercrown. A complete tobacco virgin, I'd give a CI legends red label, or possibly a Baccarat Connie, because I have some that I don't smoke and it's better to ease newbies into it.

So true...my friend asked me for "the strongest stick I had", so I reluctantly gave him a Cu-Avana Punisher I had laying in my humi...I watched him throw up and then assume the fetal position an hour and a half later! :r

BUC WHITE
06-26-2012, 09:31 AM
Oliva g maduro or perdomo lot 23 maduro is what i usually pass out when a newbie wants a stick. They both are pretty inexpensive and have good flavor. Great everyday smokes for the price

CigarDojo
06-26-2012, 10:18 AM
To be honest, I would say any cigar you got in a sampler/trade/gift that you personally do not like. Don't give a dog rocket to them, just good cigars that do not fit your palate. If you have no use for them, perhaps your friend will like them.That's where I respectfully disagree.

When I am gifting cigars to a new cigar smoker I want to share my passion with them. I want to describe to them why they are going to like this cigar and what flavors they might expect, I think it's a good idea to smoke the same cigar with them so they don't feel like you are giving them "sloppy seconds". Can you imagine giving your friends the beer in your fridge that you don't like?? You are drinking a Newcastle while your buddy gets stuck with a Keystone Light.

I have made the mistake of giving cigar noobs the cigars I don't like and later regretted not giving them something better so that they had a better experience.

That's why I have devised my list of cheaper cigars that are still winners!

dwoodward
06-26-2012, 11:44 AM
That's where I respectfully disagree.

When I am gifting cigars to a new cigar smoker I want to share my passion with them. I want to describe to them why they are going to like this cigar and what flavors they might expect, I think it's a good idea to smoke the same cigar with them so they don't feel like you are giving them "sloppy seconds". Can you imagine giving your friends the beer in your fridge that you don't like?? You are drinking a Newcastle while your buddy gets stuck with a Keystone Light.

I have made the mistake of giving cigar noobs the cigars I don't like and later regretted not giving them something better so that they had a better experience.

That's why I have devised my list of cheaper cigars that are still winners!

I see your point, but I thought this was about gifting a cigar. Of course, if you smoke a cigar with a new cigar smoker, it only makes sense to smoke the same thing you give them. I was talking about if you had a buddy that just got into smoking and needed some freebies. I did this with my good buddies and he eventually bought a whole box of one of the sticks I gave him, he is very thankful of the handful of sticks I gave him.