PDA

View Full Version : Too many Rh devices

captTrips
06-24-2012, 05:38 AM
I purchased a Daniel Marshall, 250 count, humidor and am having a huge issue with the number of humidification devices I need to maintain the humidity. Besides the bead system that came with it, I use 6, yes 6, gel bars and 4 Boveda 70 packs. It's ridiculous! I did season it per the instructions, but just can't believe this is needed to maintain a proper humidity.

area51
06-24-2012, 05:41 AM
250 isn't that much TBH. Beads alone should be able to take care of it, why not try some?

captTrips
06-24-2012, 05:46 AM
I've got one bead system in it and if I remove the other devices the Rh plummets. I've tried everything.

area51
06-24-2012, 05:51 AM
The bead system you have in now probably isn't enough or the beads or over saturated. Can you post pics of your setup, we'd love to help but its impossible without seeing whats going on.

captTrips
06-24-2012, 05:56 AM
I'll send pics when I get home?

DPD6030
06-24-2012, 06:18 AM
Dave,

Is the humidor loaded with stogies? Does it have a good seal? Beads, gel packs and the boveda is way overkill IMO for a 250 count storage. Is the hygrometer digital or analog and has it been calibrated? How long did you season the humidor for?

captTrips
06-24-2012, 06:49 AM
Yes and no. Probably 150 cigars as the humidification devices take up the rest. The seal appears and feels tight. Digital Adorini hygrometer that did not require calibration. Seasoned for 10 days and I've had it for around two months. Thanks for your help!

markem
06-24-2012, 08:31 AM
Take the cigars out and put them in a zip lock bag. Take the humidor in to a very dark room and place a flashlight in it. Turn the flashlight on and close the lid. I'm betting that it leaks light like a sieve. If the humidor is new, take it back and get something that will maintain humidity and has a seal (or walrus, your choice).

One humi pack should more than cover a 250 count, unless the sticks are bone dry or the walrus isn't working.

SmokinPhysics
06-24-2012, 08:55 AM
Digital Adorini hygrometer that did not require calibration.

I learned quick that such statements shouldn't be taken at face value. I have a Xikar.digital hygro that claimed to not need calibration and to be +/-2% out of the box, but ended up being -6% when I went to test and calibrate it. You can never be too sure with things like that.

Also, do you open the humi often? You may want to start a smaller tupperdor or something where you put sticks you plan to smoke soon, so that you don't need to open your big humi as often.

chippewastud79
06-24-2012, 09:35 AM
I'm guessing the bead system that came with it, isn't rH or HCM beads. :hm

OLS
06-25-2012, 05:59 AM
Keep in mind one thing about mixing and matching humidification systems, they OFTEN counteract one another and
fight each other's strengths with their own, and who knows what results that produces. 65% beads versus 70% Boveda
packs or some such combination. Not sure what all you have, but that could play a role.