PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on a tablet PC or e reader

Drazzil
06-18-2012, 08:43 PM
I need something to browse the internet, read comic books and books (something that will read standard format books and comics) with no restrictions on the types of files it can read.

I read that the android and ipad file systems lock down the types of programs that can be used on their OS, so I am maybe looking at a cheap tablet PC?

Anyhow any advice would be appreciated.

pnoon
06-18-2012, 08:47 PM
An eReader is out because the Internet browsers leave a lot to be desired.
I can't speak about android but the iPad can run apps that can read just about any electronic book file type. You can run a Kindle app, iBooks among others. I use freeware on my desktop called Calibre to manage my eLibrary. I can convert books and put them on my laptop, Kindle and iPad.

Ogre
06-18-2012, 08:50 PM
I have an IPad with a Kindle App, reads real well. If you are wanting something smaller, I would suggest the Kindle Fire. I have been been comparing them for Leigh.

P.S. the price difference also helps, IPad $500, Kindle Fire $200

sevans105
06-18-2012, 08:57 PM
Microsoft just announced a new tablet today...runs windows 8 2usb ports, screen cover has keyboard built in so you can have a keyboard if you want it or leave it behind. Looks pretty cool. No idea on price yet though.

Samsquanch
06-18-2012, 09:10 PM
I'll throw in a +1 for an iPad, I use one and love it. The iBooks app actually reads the open source ebook file types called ePub. It also reads PDFs and the major comic book publishers all have apps to download and read comics.

There are restrictions on the types of files it can read but I haven't run into a problem with it.

CigarNut
06-18-2012, 09:17 PM
+1 for iPad

markem
06-18-2012, 09:25 PM
Depends on the apps you want to run. The iPad is great with the kindle app (convert books using the calibre program which also manages your libraries). The new MS tablet that MS hopes will be an iPad killer was just announced and will run Windows 8, but not sure if it has full runtimes and such to be able to run arbitrary apps.

If browsing the internet is not a huge priority, the Amazon Kindle Fire might work, but you can't run your own apps. The price you pay for a good e-reader is a locked down system, at least for now.

If reading e-books, newspapers, magazines, etc. is the main thing for the next 2 years or so, I'd go with the Kindle 3G. Free wireless through AT&T and easy to manage subscriptions at Amazon. I actually turn the wireless off for about 1.5 weeks of heavy reading. I plug the device in to my PC where I run calibre to manage the device. I've heard good things about the Kindle Fire, but I've also heard that you may as well get an iPad on the refurbished market for what they cost and do.

MikeyC
06-18-2012, 09:27 PM
Microsoft just announced a new tablet today...runs windows 8 2usb ports, screen cover has keyboard built in so you can have a keyboard if you want it or leave it behind. Looks pretty cool. No idea on price yet though.

:tpd:

This is the first tablet I've seen that's actually peaked my interest. It runs on Windows 8 so it basically bridges the gap between the tablet and the laptop. My wife has an iPad and it just seems like a big iPhone to me minus the phone. I don't see what all the hype is about.

mithrilG60
06-18-2012, 09:29 PM

Vapourware until it's released and proven usable. MS has tried tablets and smartphones many times without getting it right. Based on the Win8 smartphones I've played with thus far I see no reason why this tablet will break that trend.

Malazan
06-18-2012, 10:05 PM
I love my kindle

sevans105
06-18-2012, 10:15 PM
Vapourware until it's released and proven usable. MS has tried tablets and smartphones many times without getting it right. Based on the Win8 smartphones I've played with thus far I see no reason why this tablet will break that trend.

True. Sadly very true. If it is a legit product, I'm in. Until then, I have an iPad that I jailbreaked...jailbroke? I like it, probably wouldn't get another though.

Angry_Pirate
06-19-2012, 01:01 AM
I have an Asus Transformer Prime best of both worlds with the keyboard dock and 18 hrs of battery life with the Tablet and Keyboard dock are combined. Usually take it when we go on vacation.

Fordman4ever
06-19-2012, 03:03 AM
I have an Asus Transformer Prime best of both worlds with the keyboard dock and 18 hrs of battery life with the Tablet and Keyboard dock are combined. Usually take it when we go on vacation.

This!!!!!!!!!!!

BigCat
06-19-2012, 05:26 AM
I have the kindle fire and love it, though like someone already said, it is limited content-wise by the Amazon market place. You can "sideload" other apps that aren't purchased from Amazon, but I haven't been inclined to do that. I use it primarily as an e-reader and internet browser. It does not have 3-G, so you need to use wi-fi for the internet. I can't imagine relying on an i-pad as an e-reader given its size (it must get tiring to hold for any period of time), but I've not tried it.

oooo35980
06-19-2012, 12:47 PM
I use a Toshiba Thrive and love it, I didn't think I'd ever use it but It ended up basically being attached to me at the hip. I've yet to find anything an ipad can do that it can't, other than be an overpriced piece of hypeware.

BlindedByScience
06-19-2012, 01:18 PM
We seem to be putting a lot of time on our Kindle Fire. Browser isn't all that bad, IMHO....

Thrak
06-20-2012, 05:37 AM
I read that the android and ipad file systems lock down the types of programs that can be used on their OS, so I am maybe looking at a cheap tablet PC?

Not sure where you heard that, but iOS is the one that locks you down. You can do pretty much anything you want with most android based devices.

I use Aldiko on my Touchpad with Andoird on it. Aldikok with Calibre and I can read any format from any source.

jledou
06-20-2012, 05:57 AM
I have a Toshiba Thrive and a Nook color. I read a lot more on the Nook Color because of the size/feel in my hand.

My recommendation would be to hit a best buy or similar store if possible to play and see all of your options in one place and see what is most comfortable to you.

blugill
06-20-2012, 05:25 PM
My 2 cents is an iPad but if price is of importance then the Kindle Fire.

Can't go wrong with either really!

Nathan
06-20-2012, 09:24 PM
I love my iPad. I would have never bought one myself, I got it for free. Now that I have it I would buy another if I broke it.

backwoods357
06-21-2012, 12:32 AM

Do you mean "Windows phone"? Win 8 phone isn't yet released, (http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-06-20/microsoft-unveils-windows-8-phone-software-at-event-today) so the jury is still out. I am interested to see how it pans out. M$ seems to be throwing all their eggs in the mobile basket with this release. I don't really expect it to blow my socks off, I'm just happy it will push development in the mobile space. If I don't happen to like win 8, I'll just run 7 in it's place on the snazzy new hardware.

+1
Even if the MS tablet doesn't deliver, I have already picked out my next tablet.
http://techreport.com/discussions.x/23039
Asus has a proven track record in the mobile space, and just happens to have a few models coming down the pipe to support win8. I have no interest in the RT version of win8 that runs on the tablet 600 (ARM platform, won't run current windows programs), so the tablet 810 is perfect for me.
All the perks of a windows laptop in a far more versatile package. I can run everything I need for work on it, and could use it as my primary machine instead of a supplement to laptop I currently drag around. For me this species seems like the next evolutionary step after dock-able laptops, a lightweight portable device that can seamlessly go from the tablet I surf the net on while in the can to a dual monitor workstation at my desk with the clip of a dock.

mithrilG60
06-21-2012, 01:00 AM
Do you mean "Windows phone"? Win 8 phone isn't yet released, (http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-06-20/microsoft-unveils-windows-8-phone-software-at-event-today) so the jury is still out. I am interested to see how it pans out. M$ seems to be throwing all their eggs in the mobile basket with this release. I don't really expect it to blow my socks off, I'm just happy it will push development in the mobile space. If I don't happen to like win 8, I'll just run 7 in it's place on the snazzy new hardware.

Nope, I meant Win8 Phone. I work on an almost daily basis with high level MS technical and sales staff. They've all been running various betas of Win8 phone for months so I've had the chance to play with several iterations and evolutions. The thing that kills all of them is Metro. Absolutely horrible interface, it's like MS decided it's target audience was toddlers and pre-schoolers.

Personally I hope that MS manages to make a strong tablet, but I'll never buy or use one. I want to see some real competition in that market to drive innovation. Apple has it all it's own way right now with it's only competition being a bunch of also ran devices that, as good as they make be on the hardware side, will never see enough market penetration outside niche markets to really matter. That's not healthy for any market.

FYI, running Win7 on a touch device is a pointless exercise. It's touch controls are far too rudimentary to make it usable and it's just not optimised for tablets. If you buy an MS Surface you're going to be stuck with the Win8 OS it ships with.