PDA

View Full Version : Just pulled the trigger on this

forgop
06-18-2012, 03:38 PM
http://www.roastmasters.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=behmor&Category_Code=coffee_roasters&Product_Count=0

Coffee they included was over $55, shipped free, and then I've got another $10 off $25 purchase on top of it. Looking forward to testing it out when it arrives. :tu

CigarSquid
06-18-2012, 07:55 PM
That looks awesome! Let us know how you like it.

Hem
06-19-2012, 06:04 AM
Nice buy Duane! Didn't realize the cost on those roasters. The only ones Ive ever seen are the huge ones in the stores lol

Blak Smyth
06-19-2012, 06:48 AM
looks like a nice setup! Enjoy!

Mr B
06-19-2012, 10:52 AM
Nice Duane! Thats next on my list too. Perhaps for my B-Day next month.

:noon

ApexAZ
06-19-2012, 11:00 AM
I want to get one eventually. The stovetop popper works, but it's kind of a PITA, especially when it's 110 degrees outside.

forgop
06-19-2012, 12:04 PM
I want to get one eventually. The stovetop popper works, but it's kind of a PITA, especially when it's 110 degrees outside.

I had the Sweet Maria's "preferred" air popper (West Bend Poppery II 1200 watt model) that did fine for me. However, it seemed to not get up to the temp as before as roasts that were once 8-9 minutes were going 15 minutes and still not hitting 2nd crack. Otherwise, I may have stuck it out a while longer with it. If it was the popper itself, I guess I was more content making the upgrade now rather than invest another $25 on an air popper that I'd have to use multiple times/week whereas I can get by with a single roast every 7-10 days.

forgop
06-19-2012, 12:07 PM
Nice buy Duane! Didn't realize the cost on those roasters. The only ones Ive ever seen are the huge ones in the stores lol

From my research (and I researched plenty), the Behmor 1600 seems to offer the best bang for your buck. I considered a couple of roasters in the $150-200 range, but reviews were very mixed. By the time you throw in the "free" coffee, it was really only an additional $50 to get the Behmor.

Above this, you then hit the $500 price point and then jump to $800-$1k.

floydpink
06-19-2012, 07:14 PM
I've been roasting happily for 3 years on my Behmor and am sure you'll love yours.

physiognomy
06-19-2012, 10:57 PM
... am sure you'll love yours.

+1 They are great roasters! I've also been very happy with the service & products I've ordered from Roastmasters.

Patrick B
06-20-2012, 01:27 AM
That's a cool unit. Congrats!

forgop
06-20-2012, 07:00 AM
One question on this-it says not to use beans that are high chaffe. How do I specifically know which beans are high chaffe and which beans are not?

floydpink
06-20-2012, 09:37 AM
I've never limited my beans to low chaff and haven't heard of this before.

My guess is they are referring to dry processed beans, but I've roasted plenty without issue.

Behmor did update their maintainance to include removing the side panel and cleaning out chaff from inside the unit a couple years ago.

Once you have about 30 lbs of roasting and remove the panel, you'll see why they did that, especially if you roast dark.

It's also a good idea to do a dry roast every 5 lbs and I even clean the inside with Simple Green every 10 or so lbs.

The improvements over the last year, like the lower chaff collector, have made the Behmor a very good roaster.

GreekGodX
06-20-2012, 11:35 AM
I have this same roaster. Love it and no problems.

ashtonlady
06-20-2012, 04:48 PM
I have one and havent had an issue. I use if for all beans.

forgop
06-20-2012, 08:38 PM
It arrived today and I couldn't let it sit without trying it out.

Per the instructions, I did my first roast at just 1/4 lb and I used P2. I added like an additional minute and still didn't achieve 2nd crack. Guess I'll keep trying.

I like how it works this far though. Can't wait to start doing bigger roasts.

MarkinAZ
06-20-2012, 09:05 PM
Congratulations Duane. She's a beauty:tu

One question on this-it says not to use beans that are high chaffe. How do I specifically know which beans are high chaffe and which beans are not?

I've never limited my beans to low chaff and haven't heard of this before.

My guess is they are referring to dry processed beans, but I've roasted plenty without issue.

Behmor did update their maintainance to include removing the side panel and cleaning out chaff from inside the unit a couple years ago.

Once you have about 30 lbs of roasting and remove the panel, you'll see why they did that, especially if you roast dark.

It's also a good idea to do a dry roast every 5 lbs and I even clean the inside with Simple Green every 10 or so lbs.

The improvements over the last year, like the lower chaff collector, have made the Behmor a very good roaster.

As mentioned above, just make sure you maintain a regular roaster maintenance schedule and you'll be fine...

Mr B
06-21-2012, 10:08 AM
Duane, from what I have read, you fool the unit into longer roast times by telling it 3/4 - 1 lb even thought you are only roasting 1/4 lb.

forgop
06-21-2012, 03:43 PM
Duane, from what I have read, you fool the unit into longer roast times by telling it 3/4 - 1 lb even thought you are only roasting 1/4 lb.

Yeah, that's kinda what I gathered from what I've read about the Behmor. I felt like I was doing that by adding the additional time based upon the typical time to reach 2C, but I may have just been hearing things. I fired it up today and did (2) 1/2# batches on P1 for a 1# cycle for the Malawi blend I have.

Cycle time is 18:00 and I hit 1C at 10:20/10:40 and 2C in 12:30/12:50. This is the yummy looking result.

floydpink
06-22-2012, 12:59 PM
The easiest way to roast as far as you want and even beyond, is to set to P1, which will keep the elements on the whole time as opposed to the other roast profiles, which roast longer with on/off cycles with the burners.

If you push the plus(+) and max out the time allowed, you will never have problems roasting as dark as you want with about 3/4 pound roasts set to 1lb. This also takes you into fire hazzard territory, so be vigilant.

From there, once you get comfortable with P1, start trying out the other roast profiles and openeing the door after 1st crack to prolong the roast and second crack and all the other fancy stuff that really isn't necessary.

Nice and simple.

forgop
06-22-2012, 06:18 PM
I never imagined how complex the roasting process can be with the cycling during a roast.

I browsed pretty quickly through the manual and it doesn't seem to provide a lot of detail of this type of info.

Mister Moo
06-23-2012, 05:50 AM
I never imagined how complex the roasting process can be with the cycling during a roast...

Wait til you make a blend something great and then the crop changes. Complexer and complexer. Have a ball. :tu

Chainsaw13
09-20-2012, 08:03 PM
Duane, now that you've had the Behmor for a few months, how do you like it? I'm contemplating getting one to replace my popper so I can do larger batches.

forgop
09-21-2012, 06:34 AM
I really like it. I researched long and hard about the pros/cons of everything I saw in the $150-200 price point and then $500 and this seemed to be the best fit by far. I like being able to roast a full pound at a time to make it less of a "burden". I read reviews that said dark roasting was more difficult, but you can add extra time or cheat it by using 1/2 pound in the full pound setting. I usually only roast just into 2nd crack, so it's never a problem.

The only downside is that it has a tendency to set off the smoke detector when I roast to 2nd crack, but I'm actually moving it to the man cave portion of my garage today. I think I could have only made a better decision if I had a budget to buy the models at 3-4x the price.

floydpink
09-21-2012, 07:35 AM
I've never roasted inside. When it's roasting day, I get comments from neighbors who all smell it downwind and know I'm roasting.

I also never roast anywhere near a full pound as I can't seem to finish anywhere near as dark as I like my roasts.

ashtonlady
09-21-2012, 08:41 AM
Like Pete, I dont roast in the house. It does get a little smokey so for me it is easier to deal with in the garage. I also roast one half lb at a time so I can get to the roast I prefer. Glad to hear that you like it.

Chainsaw13
09-21-2012, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the reviews guys/gals. Like you, I only roast to just into second crack right now with the popper, so dark roast levels for me shouldn't be an issue. Plus I like the idea of having some control over the roast cycles with the different settings.

I may try using it in the basement since my garage is detached and get's mighty cold in the winter. I guess I could always do a preheat cycle first if I moved into the garage.

GolfNut
09-21-2012, 09:18 AM
Duane,
you're going to have a blast with that machine. We used ours probably 3 times a week for over a year right up until it burned with the house. We kept a log book right next to it with all the cycle times/batches/results etc. It's really a nicely tweakable roaster that can turn out superb roasts.
It will be one of our first purchases when we finally get back in a house. It's been 3 years now since we've had a fresh roasted batch of coffee...and we miss it.

forgop
09-21-2012, 09:46 AM
I got an app called Roastmaster that gives me the capability of logging all of my roasts. The feature I like is being able to use the timer for total time, first crack, and second crack. The hell of it is that my results will change a lot if I move it to the garage as it'll be a less regulated temp than my kitchen.

The other nice feature I'll like having it in my garage is having it right next to the shop vac for easier cleaning.

Chainsaw13
09-21-2012, 10:58 AM
Duane,
you're going to have a blast with that machine. We used ours probably 3 times a week for over a year right up until it burned with the house. We kept a log book right next to it with all the cycle times/batches/results etc. It's really a nicely tweakable roaster that can turn out superb roasts.
It will be one of our first purchases when we finally get back in a house. It's been 3 years now since we've had a fresh roasted batch of coffee...and we miss it.

I had to reread that a couple times. At first I thought you said it caused your house to burn down.

Chainsaw13
09-21-2012, 11:59 AM
Well, went and ordered the Behmor. Got the 8lb regular sampler too. Now the fun part to relearning how to roast coffee. :D

forgop
09-21-2012, 03:12 PM
Well, went and ordered the Behmor. Got the 8lb regular sampler too. Now the fun part to relearning how to roast coffee. :D

You're gonna love it. The recommendation for using Simple Green in the manual does a pretty good job of cleaning the inside.

:tu:tu:tu