PDA

View Full Version : iOS 6 Beta

LasciviousXXX
06-13-2012, 11:20 AM
Hello CA fam!

I just updated my iPhone 4S to the new iOS 6 Beta that was announced on Monday. So far I am really loving all of the new features. Pretty seamless integration with Facebook etc. The new "TomTom" version of Maps takes a little bit of getting used to, however the turn by turn navi is pretty sweet.

Anyone else update yet? Thoughts? Issues?

CigarNut
06-13-2012, 11:30 AM
Where did you find it?

LasciviousXXX
06-13-2012, 11:31 AM
The iOS 6 Beta ipsw is widely available on teh interwebz (http://techglobex.blogspot.com/2012/06/download-apple-ios-6-beta-ipsw-firmware.html). Google Fu my friend :tu

maninblack
06-13-2012, 11:38 AM
Will download this when I get home. Thanks for the heads up Tyr!

LasciviousXXX
06-13-2012, 11:39 AM
No prob Kevin! Just remember to restore to 5.1.1 prior to installing the ipsw. :tu

CigarNut
06-13-2012, 11:40 AM
The iOS 6 Beta ipsw is widely available on teh interwebz (http://techglobex.blogspot.com/2012/06/download-apple-ios-6-beta-ipsw-firmware.html). Google Fu my friend :tuThanks! When I googled I found sites for developer's that required a password or $10...

I guess you are a better Googler than I am.... :)

LasciviousXXX
06-13-2012, 11:41 AM
HAhahaha! Actually, I use the term "Google Fu" to represent all web searching as I don't actually use Google :D DuckDuckGo all the way baby!

Conch Republican
06-13-2012, 06:02 PM
Is it out for iPad yet?

bvilchez
06-13-2012, 06:11 PM
Does the phone need to be jailbroken to do this?

LasciviousXXX
06-13-2012, 07:41 PM
Is it out for iPad yet?

Yes sir!

Does the phone need to be jailbroken to do this?

No it does not. Any regular iPhone/iPad/iPod touch can be upgraded :tu

BHalbrooks
06-17-2012, 10:43 PM
So uh, what option would I pick for my Sprint 4s? I usually am such a techie, I'm ashamed.

LasciviousXXX
06-18-2012, 09:47 AM
The very first option is the IPSW for all iPhone 4S phones on any carrier :tu

Samsquanch
06-18-2012, 11:35 AM
I've got the 4 and so from what I understand some of the features are disabled unless you have the 4s. I am waiting patiently for the 5...

BHalbrooks
06-18-2012, 08:37 PM
haha thanks. I was paranoid about downloading the wrong one and somehow messing my phone up lol

BHalbrooks
06-19-2012, 11:05 AM
Won't let me download. Keeps asking about a premium membership.

CigarNut
06-19-2012, 11:50 AM
I've been trying to download for several days (no premium membership). It always gets interrupted and they has to start over. Even though the technology to restart in place has been around forever...

I am about to give up...

LasciviousXXX
06-19-2012, 03:07 PM
Really? Huh, I didn't have any probs with the download. Try another site guys. Just web search "iOS 6 Beta IPSW" and there are tons of sites with the file.

Starscream
06-19-2012, 03:17 PM
Really? Huh, I didn't have any probs with the download. Try another site guys. Just web search "iOS 6 Beta IPSW" and there are tons of sites with the file.

iOS 6 supposedly will not work on some older versions of iPods, iPhones, and iPads. But I'm not really the one to ask about this. I just updated to iOS 5 yesterday.:)

LasciviousXXX
06-25-2012, 12:59 PM
iOS 6 Beta 2 is now available for developers and anyone who already has iOS 6 installed on their device. It fixes a few bugs and tweaks a few things. Super easy to update. Settings>General>Software Update = profit :tu

CigarNut
06-25-2012, 01:11 PM
Did you pay to be an IOS developer or pay to get your UDID registered?

I got it installed in my iPad but it would allow me to install without registering my UDID with Apple. That seemed to cost $99 from Apple (to be a registered developer) and less from other sites.

LasciviousXXX
06-25-2012, 01:14 PM
No sir, I did not pay for the Dev status.

I haven't tried it on the iPad yet but installed the update on my iPhone 4S with no problems at all. I just did the OTA update. Let me play around with it on the iPad and see if I can make it work :D

King James
06-25-2012, 05:11 PM
I was thinking about trying it on my iPhone 4, but most of the good stuff is disabled I believe :( (as was mentioned earlier)

May give it a try on the iPad though

CigarNut
06-25-2012, 06:14 PM
No sir, I did not pay for the Dev status.

I haven't tried it on the iPad yet but installed the update on my iPhone 4S with no problems at all. I just did the OTA update. Let me play around with it on the iPad and see if I can make it work :DDid you have to do anything special to get your UDID registered?

LasciviousXXX
06-25-2012, 06:47 PM
I was thinking about trying it on my iPhone 4, but most of the good stuff is disabled I believe :( (as was mentioned earlier)

May give it a try on the iPad though

Yeah, many of the really cool features are going to be 4S only at this point. One of the main reasons I jailbroke my 4 in the first place was to utilize Facetime over 3G. Now it is a standard feature in iOS 6. Just one more example of Apple using some of the ideas from the Jailbreak community to enhance their product.

Did you have to do anything special to get your UDID registered?

No sir, the initial iOS 6 beta IPSW updates your firmware without using UDID. So the iOS6 beta 2 just builds upon that again without having to obtain Dev status.

I tried the upgrade on my iPad and it worked like a charm. Are you using a 3rd gen iPad Michael?

CigarNut
06-25-2012, 08:14 PM
Yes third generation iPad. I got the OS installed but iTunes would not let me configure it without a UDID registration. My iPad is WiFi + Cellular.

I had to undo the whole install and revert. PIA...

King James
06-25-2012, 08:23 PM
Yes third generation iPad. I got the OS installed but iTunes would not let me configure it without a UDID registration. My iPad is WiFi + Cellular.

I had to undo the whole install and revert. PIA...

Did you get stuck at the "this device is not registered as part of the iPhone developer program" screen?

I had to enter DFU mode and restore back to 5.1.1 :/

CigarNut
06-25-2012, 09:43 PM
Did you get stuck at the "this device is not registered as part of the iPhone developer program" screen?

I had to enter DFU mode and restore back to 5.1.1 :/I got a different message telling me that my UDID was not registered. When I tried to register with Apple they wanted $99 (to become a registered developer). Not going to do that, so I had to use DFU to restore back to 5.1.1

King James
06-26-2012, 07:25 AM
Did you have to do something different, Týr? I tried to do a regular restore to the iOS 6 ipsw from iTunes and then got the message I had to be part of the developer program

LasciviousXXX
06-26-2012, 10:36 AM
You guys are remembering to press Option+Check for Update and then choosing the IPSW right? That's been my process for both my 4S and my 3rd Gen iPad. You have to start with a clean device so you wipe the Jailbreak first, then choose Option+Check for update, then choose the IPSW.

King James
06-26-2012, 11:09 AM
You guys are remembering to press Option+Check for Update and then choosing the IPSW right? That's been my process for both my 4S and my 3rd Gen iPad. You have to start with a clean device so you wipe the Jailbreak first, then choose Option+Check for update, then choose the IPSW.

I did do that, yes. My iPad wasn't jailbroken, so I backed it up and then restored using alt/option button and selected the 6.0 IPSW

CigarNut
06-26-2012, 11:10 AM
Same for me...

LasciviousXXX
06-26-2012, 11:13 AM
Hmmmm.... the process worked for me on both devices using that method. I just checked the iFans forum to double check that I have the process down correctly and it looks like those are the instructions to the T. There have been some instances on there where people said they were still having trouble however, the majority of users say that it worked for them.

King James
06-26-2012, 12:03 PM
Hmmmm.... the process worked for me on both devices using that method. I just checked the iFans forum to double check that I have the process down correctly and it looks like those are the instructions to the T. There have been some instances on there where people said they were still having trouble however, the majority of users say that it worked for them.

The update worked, then when going through the setup of the iPad after the restore (when you select language and network and that) it gets to a screen where it says the iPad isn't part of the developer program and then I cannot continue. Maybe I'll give it another shot tonight

LasciviousXXX
06-26-2012, 12:18 PM
You can restore it from your backup before you updated. That's what I did anyways. I didn't set it up on the iPad itself.