PDA

View Full Version : Has Gurkha redeemed themselves?

cmitch
05-27-2012, 07:36 AM
Everyone who knows me is familiar with my low opinion of Gurkhas. Everyone I tried except for the Vintage Shaggy, was a disappointment. The Elegance was okay, very mild with little excitement. But, Donny from the Cigar Room in Madison, AL encouraged me to try the Seduction. He was so sure I'd like it, he gave me one. I actually liked it well enough to buy some yesterday from Ken Mansfield who was at the CR for an event. I found the Seduction a medium to full body smoke but I need to concentrate more on the next one so I can give a more reliable review but it never had that initial funk that most Gurkhas I've smoked had.

The 15 year cellar reserve was also a surprisingly good stick. It did start out with that familiar Gurkha wang which I care little for, once you get past that in the first 5 minutes, it develops into quite a remarkable stick. I would envision the shorter ones not being that great since you'd have to get past that initial raunch. I would definitely consider these in future buys.:tu

68TriShield
05-27-2012, 07:45 AM
I had a couple of the Ninja line,they were really quite good.

icehog3
05-27-2012, 07:53 AM
Gurkha wang........

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa73/icehog3/homerdr.jpg

area51
05-27-2012, 09:34 AM
I vowed to never try another one but may have to give it a go:/

DaBear
05-27-2012, 09:40 AM
Gurkha wang........

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa73/icehog3/homerdr.jpg

Now I know where to send all my Gurkhas. :tu :r

Brian D.
06-05-2012, 01:46 PM
They sort of jumped the shark for me with some of the hype/marketing tall tales and gimmicks. I don't need my cigars to come in a cheesy treasure chest box, just focus on blending the tobaccky would ya?

Ogre
06-05-2012, 01:51 PM
The problem I have with Gurkha is they are inconstant. I have had a few that were good, bought more from the same box and tossed them after the first inch. I dont want to waste my money on a gamble of that nature.

Hem
06-05-2012, 01:57 PM
The problem I have with Gurkha is they are inconstant. I have had a few that were good, bought more from the same box and tossed them after the first inch. I dont want to waste my money on a gamble of that nature.

^ This. Some are rolled so tight you can't even keep 'em lit!

Islayphile
06-05-2012, 01:57 PM
Even if Gurkha does a better job don't worry...

Rocky is doing his best to catch up to Gurkha in the "release a crap-mediocre blend every month" race.

fencefixer
06-05-2012, 02:13 PM
Maybe he pranked you by swapping bands. :D

Cgarjake
06-05-2012, 02:51 PM
I have to agree I also surprisingly enjoyed the cellar reserve I had the koi size. It tasted like a good cigar smells.

Cgarjake
06-05-2012, 02:52 PM
Also have to agree with islayphile very true.

cigaman1979
06-05-2012, 02:58 PM
gurkha ??? come on !!! you can not be serious..

There are many better brands out there in the market.
For instance ; CAO is my favorite brand of all times.

Fia
06-05-2012, 06:58 PM
I think it all falls back to the mantra "Smoke what you like, like what you smoke"

Big Bert
06-05-2012, 10:22 PM
I've only tried one from the gurhka line it was enough for me to say no thanks on the next one....

Blak Smyth
06-06-2012, 05:42 AM
I tried a few Gurkhas, didn't like any of them.
Bad cigars + poor try hard marketing = I prolly would never try another one.

If you like them smoke them, there should be plenty left for you.
There are only two things that could survive a Lars Tetans nuclear meltdown;
A cockroach and a cockroach infused Gurkha.

I am in a pissy mood this morning, I need to get ofline for a bit.
Sorry for my whining this morning.

Taki
06-06-2012, 05:48 AM

Rocky is doing his best to catch up to Gurkha in the "release a crap-mediocre blend every month" race.

+1 :lr I hear ya brother....getting out of hand!!

Dont think I will try another Gurkha ever, I love when they say it retails for $1,000,000,000. (slight exaggeration of course) and then they sell it for $2.00 :lr

Islayphile
06-06-2012, 06:43 AM

+1 :lr I hear ya brother....getting out of hand!!

Dont think I will try another Gurkha ever, I love when they say it retails for $1,000,000,000. (slight exaggeration of course) and then they sell it for $2.00 :lr

It's a strange concept to me...

If they keep releasing crap blends over and over again, eventually folks like me, you and many others will never bother trying out any of their new offerings after we've been let down by their previous releases.

I don't think there are enough new cigar smokers out there to keep that business model going.

shilala
06-06-2012, 08:05 AM
They excel at losing customers, but they're obviously even better at creating new ones, they remain in business despite driving guys off with their cigars.
They're definitely advertising 101. They have their name and pictures in all the cigar magazines, they're almost impossible to avoid. I suppose they're as good an "introduction to cigars" brand as so many others.
The nice thing about them is that they're almost free at cbid. The bad thing about them is that most aren't even worth that.

Islayphile
06-06-2012, 08:39 AM
They excel at losing customers, but they're obviously even better at creating new ones, they remain in business despite driving guys off with their cigars.
They're definitely advertising 101. They have their name and pictures in all the cigar magazines, they're almost impossible to avoid. I suppose they're as good an "introduction to cigars" brand as so many others.
The nice thing about them is that they're almost free at cbid. The bad thing about them is that most aren't even worth that.

All very true

My question is how long can they continue to do that and still remain successful?

htown
06-06-2012, 05:58 PM
I used to like Gurkha (Centurian and Black Dragon) when I first started smoking- the only problem was the wrappers always seemed to split.

kingcobradude
06-07-2012, 01:12 AM
I tried a few ghurkas and I liked them all so far

Bax
06-07-2012, 08:27 PM
gurkha ??? come on !!! you can not be serious..

There are many better brands out there in the market.
For instance ; CAO is my favorite brand of all times.

Different strokes for different folks. CAO is on my crap list for some truly horrendous smokes. I've had a few good Gurk's but not a single good CAO. Everyones taste is a little different. :2

cmitch
06-07-2012, 10:14 PM
Maybe they've finally seen the light and have tried a bit harder to make a better stick. I had completely written them off except for the Vintage Shaggy. It took a free cigar to even get me to look at them again. It looks like they spend too much on fancy packaging instead of paying attention to the actual taste.

whodeeni
06-08-2012, 09:21 PM
I have to agree I also surprisingly enjoyed the cellar reserve I had the koi size. It tasted like a good cigar smells.

Jake a lot of guys here locally LOVE the cellar reserve! One of my buddy's loves the KOI! He says it packs the most punch and has great flavors to boo! I still haven't had the resolve to try one myself, but the next time i see them I may just grab one.

BC-Axeman
06-08-2012, 09:26 PM
I went through a whole box of G3s without any problem. A very tasty and distinctive smoke. I still have the last one and I will try a recent one from a B&M and if it is still good I will buy another box. I have not liked any other Gurkha enough to buy another one.

mtnman
07-06-2012, 10:21 PM
As a Noob, take my opinion with a grain of salt. But, I have tried 4 different Gurkhas with the G3 being the only one I would smoke again if someone gave it to me.

Big Maduro
07-06-2012, 11:59 PM
I have a Cellar Reserve in the humi. I have had a few Gurkha's and have not been real impressed.