PDA

View Full Version : Mild to Mediums worth trying

05-21-2012, 07:12 AM
Looking for some mild to medium bodied cigars and these are some I’ve seen and am interested in feedback on whether or not it’s worth my time to get/try them. I have had some fuller bodied smokes and enjoyed them just not the kick to the stomach afterwards so I figured I could work my way up in strength. I really like the Macanudo Hyde Park, 5 Vegas gold, and I like the Rocky Patel Connecticut and I've also had the Gurkha Status (the one I had was a tight draw torpedo). But these are some I've seen (mainly going through the CI catalog and was wondering which ones I should def try or whoa no stay away)
Montecristo
Victor Sinclair Primeros or Connecticut Yankee
LGC Retro Especial
LA Perla Habana Black Pearl & classic
Gurkha’s Park Avenue
Romeo y Julieta vintage & 1875
Hoyo De Monterrey Excalibur 1066 Cameroon
1876 reserve
Perdomo Exhibicion Connecticut & ESV 2002
Don Rafael Connecticut
AVO Classic
Ave Maria
Arturo Fente don carlos & im guessing the original
CI Legends orange and blue maybe green
Ashton VSG
Alec Bradley American Classic
CAO gold & black LTD
:tf

MajorCaptSilly
05-21-2012, 07:30 AM
Montecristo - I like these but they are pricey. Good change of pace cigar.

Hoyo De Monterrey Excalibur 1066 Cameroon - Nice cigar. More medium than mild. Wrappers are very fragile.

Perdomo Exhibicion Connecticut & ESV 2002 - Very boring for me.

AVO Classic- My favorite of the bunch for a mild cigar. Very creamy with dense smoke. Great flavor.

Arturo Fente don carlos & im guessing the original - These are on the fuller side of medium but I love them. Once again, pricey.

Ashton VSG- Once gain, on the fuller side of medium but very good.

These are the ones I've tried.

MCS

05-21-2012, 07:48 AM
Thanks!

area51
05-21-2012, 08:06 AM
Montecristo - I like these but they are pricey. Good change of pace cigar.

Hoyo De Monterrey Excalibur 1066 Cameroon - Nice cigar. More medium than mild. Wrappers are very fragile.

Perdomo Exhibicion Connecticut & ESV 2002 - Very boring for me.

AVO Classic- My favorite of the bunch for a mild cigar. Very creamy with dense smoke. Great flavor.

Arturo Fente don carlos & im guessing the original - These are on the fuller side of medium but I love them. Once again, pricey.

Ashton VSG- Once gain, on the fuller side of medium but very good.

These are the ones I've tried.

MCS

Very Nice list. Couldn't agree more.

kelmac07
05-21-2012, 08:18 AM
Brnedan...have a mild/medium sampler up right now in the WTS thread. PM incoming.

MajorCaptSilly
05-21-2012, 08:48 AM
I tried a Blue Lable last week. I think I got this in a bomb at some point. I found it to be a very good medium-bodied smoke at a very reasonable price. Yes, it was free for me but I looked up the price and they are cheap! I've seen varying reviews on these but I like the classic Honduran flavor.

MCS

Wharf Rat
05-21-2012, 06:07 PM
I'm partial to the Oliva Connecticut Reserve.

kuzi16
05-22-2012, 06:15 AM
i find it frustrating that many people believe that there are no milds or mediums worth trying. (i am not saying the original poster is saying that, but this thread popped this into my head)

there are TONS of mild and medium cigars that are worth trying. it is only relatively recently that the ultra full market has become popular.it wasnt too long ago that cigars like the el cobre, camacho diploma and the Antano were the strongest on the market and there were few others that compared.

one of the problems that i have found with very full cigars is that there is so much emphasis on the power that they seem to have forgotten about the flavor. the attitude is to pack them full of ligero and market them as powerful and people will flock to them. and they do.

balance, nuance, complexity, seem to be a dying trend in the cigar market these days as does the small ring gauge. Any one can make a flat but powerful cigar, it takes real talent to make a mild cigar with tons of flavor and complexity.

another thought:
over the last few years there has been an increasing demand for cigars. cigars are becoming popular again. not as big as the 90s boom but still on the rise. Cigar smokers tend to have a journey into cigars. I know i did. maybe we are just at that point in the progression. that progression goes something like this:

first cigars tend to be milder. the people that are mentoring the new smoker dont wanna scare off the new guy. if your first cigar makes you sick, you may not have a second. the new guy buys a few mild cigars and a humidor.

then as the new guy craves more, they naturally progress more to medium cigars to get more flavor out of them. because of a yet to be refined palate, these cigars offer way more than the milds do. they also feel more relaxing, satisfying and may last longer. medium cigars are purchased. the previous mild cigars are long gone, either smoked or traded.

soon the new smoke isnt so new anymore. they can handle fuller cigars. the mild cigars start to seem boring and dull. there just isnt as much flavor or power. even medium blends dont quite live up. finding very full cigars is priority. the mediums are traded, sold, or smoked to make room for more ligero. most palate development is done at this stage. there is so much flavor in full bodied cigars that it smacks you in the face. yes, you can argue there is less nuance and complexity (for the most part) but you cant deny the fact that there is flavor. the smoker starts to really understand flavor on many different levels.

then, one day, a package arrives in the mail, or that smoker is digging through the humidor and come across a cigar that is mild. thinking "eh what the heck" he gives it a try. his fully developed palate is now able to understand flavor on a level like he never could the last time he smoked a mild cigar. mind is blown.
there is now an entire world of cigars that he has had before that he will want to try again since the palate has been developed. all the mild cigars that he had in the past are new again. there is a new understanding.

but there is one problem.
the humidor is packed to the brim with full bodied smokes.

not everyone has this EXACT progression. but something similar may happen. or, somewhere along the line, you may stop. some never go back to mild cigars. (personally i think they are missing out). some may appreciate them and just like a medium body or a full body even more.

but most go through a progression similar to the above and end up not necessarily with a love of, but at least an appreciation of mild cigars.

05-22-2012, 07:33 AM
kuzi16 any suggestions on mild to medium smokes to try that you enjoy?

05-22-2012, 07:34 AM
I'm partial to the Oliva Connecticut Reserve.

I got the Oliva sampler with one of those in it, I am looking forward to giving it a try

kuzi16
05-22-2012, 07:56 AM
kuzi16 any suggestions on mild to medium smokes to try that you enjoy?

room 101 connecticut, anything by Davidoff but i am partial to the 2000, Avo classic, MoW Virtue, JdN Cabinetta, Cabaiguan by Tatuaje, RyJ Reserva real, San Lotano Connecticut, Ashton Classic, Verdadero Organic, and of course Zino Classic (thats my "mind blown" cigar that got me back into mild cigars).

medium cigars:
Camacho Connecticut, Avo Domaine, 5 Vegas series A, La Palina Family Series, Casa Magna Colorado.

some of this may be subjective. i mean, 6 years ago i would have put a few of the mediums in the full category. but given the full trend, they are only medium.

05-22-2012, 09:06 AM
room 101 connecticut, anything by Davidoff but i am partial to the 2000, Avo classic, MoW Virtue, JdN Cabinetta, Cabaiguan by Tatuaje, RyJ Reserva real, San Lotano Connecticut, Ashton Classic, Verdadero Organic, and of course Zino Classic (thats my "mind blown" cigar that got me back into mild cigars).

medium cigars:
Camacho Connecticut, Avo Domaine, 5 Vegas series A, La Palina Family Series, Casa Magna Colorado.

some of this may be subjective. i mean, 6 years ago i would have put a few of the mediums in the full category. but given the full trend, they are only medium.

awesome thanks a ton I'm def going to look into these. I got the MoW Virtue at home from the CI Mild & Mellow sampler and have had one, was a bit peppery at the time but then I had only smoked 2 or 3 cigars, looking forward to trying it again. I had the San Lotano Habano in a toro gordo it was a great smoke but a little to much for 1 sitting for me, and I've been looking into getting some of the Connecticut.

kelmac07
05-22-2012, 09:28 AM
Kuzi has a great point...as I followed that same progression. While now I perfer a more full bodied smoke...I still revisit those milder sticks once in a while. For me the perfect mild stick is the Tatuaje Series P...these things are mild as can be, but loaded with great flavors. It is my go to change of pace stick when I am feeling something lighter. :2

lenguamor
05-22-2012, 01:46 PM
The La Aurora base line Cameroons or maduros. Mild-medium, yummy, and inexpensive.

Bugbear
05-22-2012, 03:04 PM
Some good suggestions. +1 on the Cabaiguan, although I like the Guapos Natural Wrapper

Some others

La Aroma de Cuba EE Robusto (medium)

Davidoff Colorado Claro (medium, delicious though, assuming you can find them)

EPC New Wave CT - wow what flavor

San Cristobal Elegancia - probably my newest fav Shade grown CT

Camacho 11/18 CT - a classic

longknocker
05-22-2012, 04:23 PM
Kuzi has a great point...as I followed that same progression. While now I perfer a more full bodied smoke...I still revisit those milder sticks once in a while. For me the perfect mild stick is the Tatuaje Series P...these things are mild as can be, but loaded with great flavors. It is my go to change of pace stick when I am feeling something lighter. :2

Agree With Mac On The Tat P For A Mild Smoke.:tu

TheTraveler
05-22-2012, 08:38 PM
AVO XO

I just had my first one tonight and was very impressed. It started as a slightly heavy-mild and progressed, but never got past medium.

The flavor was excellent, as well as the construction. I'm impressed, and I'm coming back for more.

Give it a try. I saw that you've already tried the AVO classic but, since I've not smoked that cigar, I can't compare them for you unfortunately.

05-22-2012, 09:27 PM
AVO XO

I just had my first one tonight and was very impressed. It started as a slightly heavy-mild and progressed, but never got past medium.

The flavor was excellent, as well as the construction. I'm impressed, and I'm coming back for more.

Give it a try. I saw that you've already tried the AVO classic but, since I've not smoked that cigar, I can't compare them for you unfortunately.

I have only tried the first few before the list starts but, I will def give it a shot. I just had the Oliva Connecticut which was really good, while trying to remove the band the wrapper ripped a little but it didnt effect the draw at all which was good

BeerAdvocate
05-23-2012, 07:16 AM
Brickhouse !!!!!

Trace63
05-23-2012, 07:19 AM
How about you just send me your address and Ill show you what mild and medium smokes are worth it :D

05-23-2012, 10:44 AM
How about you just send me your address and Ill show you what mild and medium smokes are worth it :D

PM sent

Trace63
05-23-2012, 11:09 AM
PM sent

They'll never learn.....dont even put up a fight nowadays...

kelmac07
05-23-2012, 11:11 AM
They'll never learn.....dont even put up a fight nowadays...

Hell...I might as well get in on the fun too. Brendon...PM me your addy and I will shoot you a "few" mild/medium sticks as well. :D :D

05-23-2012, 11:22 AM
PM sent.

put up a fight:r

longknocker
05-23-2012, 11:24 AM
:gl:hy :tu

Chemyst
05-24-2012, 02:01 PM
I got tired of xtra strong cigars and dropped back to mediums, without giving up any flavor. My palate is developed more, now.

Mediums I smoke regularly:

AF 858, maduro
AF Hemingway
El Triunfador lancero
Ashton San Cristobal Elegancia, on the full side of medium
Casa Torano maduro, on the mild side of medium
Perdomo Champagne Noir

among others.

Chemyst :cool2:

area51
05-24-2012, 02:07 PM
Uh oh, this isn't going to end well

05-24-2012, 02:24 PM
Uh oh, this isn't going to end well

should I be scared? :confused: maybe now I'll think a little first

area51
05-24-2012, 02:37 PM
Yeah you're kind of eff'd. I hope you have a good setup.

BC-Axeman
05-24-2012, 02:40 PM
I always liked RP Edge Lites.
I second the AF Hemis.
The Padron thousand series are great.

05-24-2012, 06:42 PM
I always liked RP Edge Lites.
I second the AF Hemis.
The Padron thousand series are great.

I will check those out! thanks

05-24-2012, 06:43 PM
I got tired of xtra strong cigars and dropped back to mediums, without giving up any flavor. My palate is developed more, now.

Mediums I smoke regularly:

AF 858, maduro
AF Hemingway
El Triunfador lancero
Ashton San Cristobal Elegancia, on the full side of medium
Casa Torano maduro, on the mild side of medium
Perdomo Champagne Noir

among others.

Chemyst :cool2:

Thanks I will keep an eye out for those

05-31-2012, 10:44 AM
Oh boy.. Kelmac07 thanks a ton! I wasn't expecting this, I walked out and saw the USPS box and thought it was warpedcigars cigar review journals and when I open it up I was like WHOA! I had to kind of laugh because its my co-workers 1 month anniversary for quitting smoking cigarettes and here I pull out some awesome sticks and dance around the office.
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s376/brendon363/photo1-1.jpg
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s376/brendon363/photo2-1.jpg
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s376/brendon363/photo4.jpg
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s376/brendon363/photo3.jpg
Tatuaje Series P P4 Churchill
Los Statos Deluxe (x2)
Four Kicks Sublime
Grimalkin Toro
CAO MX2 Belicoso
Arganese ML3 Torpedo
Cuba Libre One Belicoso
5 Vegas Gold Maudro Corona
Reserva Miraflor Belicoso
Nub Naduro
Cain Daytona Robusto
Perdomo Lot #23 Maduro Robusto
Final Blend Robusto
Macanudo Cru Royale Robusto
Bahina Maduro Robusto

Most I'm not familiar with but some I have wanted to try! These are all going to get smoked and put into my cigar review journal.

Sorry for having them post upside down I had made them right on PB but they don't want to behave.

kelmac07
05-31-2012, 10:50 AM
Glad they arrived safely Brendon...enjoy brother. :D

Trace63
05-31-2012, 11:01 AM
I hope you still have some room in that humi....

kelmac07
05-31-2012, 11:02 AM
I hope you still have some room in that humi....

:r :r :r

05-31-2012, 11:10 AM
hopefully I'll have room for a few sticks

OLS
05-31-2012, 01:00 PM
Are you 357's cousin??

Based on your target body, I would surf a lot lower for the same satisfaction.
I would recommend Arturo Fuente 858s and Spanish Lonsdales. Padron Panatelas
and Churchills.

Or better yet, closeout rack specials from JR.
Here's a good one or two.
http://www.jrcigars.com/jr/index.cfm/hurl/evt=itemdetail/itemcode=JBC/JOSE%20BENITO%20SELECTION%20DORO%20CORONA.html

http://www.jrcigars.com/jr/index.cfm/hurl/evt=itemdetail/itemcode=FN551/FONSECA%201907%20NO.%20551.html

05-31-2012, 02:07 PM
Are you 357's cousin??

Based on your target body, I would surf a lot lower for the same satisfaction.
I would recommend Arturo Fuente 858s and Spanish Lonsdales. Padron Panatelas
and Churchills.

Or better yet, closeout rack specials from JR.
Here's a good one or two.
http://www.jrcigars.com/jr/index.cfm/hurl/evt=itemdetail/itemcode=JBC/JOSE%20BENITO%20SELECTION%20DORO%20CORONA.html

http://www.jrcigars.com/jr/index.cfm/hurl/evt=itemdetail/itemcode=FN551/FONSECA%201907%20NO.%20551.html

As far as I know I'm not.

and thanks for the recommendations, I will def check those out

area51
05-31-2012, 02:30 PM
Holy #&*$ good hit. Hey I wanna try some new sticks too lol I kid.

pektel
05-31-2012, 02:35 PM
Bahaha! You got sMACked good!

Nice work, Mac. :tu

longknocker
05-31-2012, 02:35 PM
:r :r :r

WTG, Mac!:banger: I See You Haven't Slowed Down A Bit, My Brother!:D

OLS
06-01-2012, 07:07 AM
OH SNIZZAP, did you get a newsletter, 368 ??

http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae23/JAMpromotionsMKTG/Spring2011newsletterMAC.jpg

06-01-2012, 07:18 AM
lol

pektel
06-01-2012, 10:51 AM
That empty humidor article was a great read though.

area51
06-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Where is page 2?

Trace63
06-01-2012, 12:20 PM
on page 2

area51
06-01-2012, 01:04 PM
on page 2

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/002/144/fry.jpg

Ciro
06-01-2012, 01:22 PM
These are a few of my favorites:
San Lotano Connecticut
CAO MX2
RP The Edge
Brickhouse
NUB Camaroon

06-01-2012, 01:24 PM
These are a few of my favorites:
San Lotano Connecticut
CAO MX2
RP The Edge
Brickhouse
NUB Camaroon

Ill check these out, Thanks!

06-04-2012, 09:47 AM
Kaboom is right, Trace63 thank you sir. I look forward to enjoying every one!
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s376/brendon363/photo-1.jpg
that RP Vintage 99 Connecticut will not last long I can promise you that:dr

Trace63
06-04-2012, 09:53 AM
hope you enjoy them :)
I used to enjoy RP a lot when I started too, sun grown being one of the faves. I should fire another one up after the 4 years that theyve been sitting lol

oh, and if after you try the party short your wallet gets a little smaller....not my fault

kelmac07
06-04-2012, 10:12 AM
Nicely played Kamil!! :tu :tu

Caymus
06-04-2012, 09:21 PM
For a nice creamy mild but interesting smoke, I haven't found a better one than the La Aurora Preferido Connecticut #1 ( 6x58 perfecto). I've been snatching them up on Cigar Monster for about $4 - 5 a piece in 5 packs which is a steal....(CI has 'em for $86 a 5 pack!) I like Connecticuts and this is the best one I've had in the last year at any price. I'd put it ahead of Diamond Crown, EP Carrillo New Wave, Camacho Connecticut, RP Connecticut, Ashton Cabinet...all good cigars.

WhiteMamba
04-02-2014, 12:04 AM
Since I have only been smoking for around a year I still enjoy mild/medium smokes. Even though this thread is old I enjoyed reading it and I definitely wanna try some of these.

CdnStogie
04-02-2014, 06:23 AM
Instead of opening a new thread, I'll hijack this old one :)

I am going to be placing an order with AC in the next few days and was wanting some recommendations. Never ordered from them before and have not ventured far outside of my local smoke shop so my brands that I am aware of is narrow.

Anyways, I am looking for some smokes to order from them. I have been put on their email list so I receive all their weekly deals which I must say, compared to North of the border is absurd... I can't wait to start using them more often!

Looking for recommendations in the mild, up to med-full. I have an empty tupperdor that is good for about 50 or so smokes and some room in my humi.

For budgetary purposes all in I want to keep it to around $200.00 (including the 30.00 shipping charge)

I am eyeing their Friday madness flight package from last week and may pull the trigger. Like my beer, I am love trying new flavours and will always go for a local brew. Perhaps name a few that you know are on the website that are some of your favourites. Will be buying in 5's and singles.

WhiteMamba
04-02-2014, 07:40 AM
Two of my favorites are the rocky Patel vintage 99 and they Romeo y julieta 1875 bully. What is AC I'm not familiar?

CdnStogie
04-02-2014, 07:41 AM
Atlantic cigar

RevSmoke
04-02-2014, 09:04 AM
Jeff, what size cigars do you like best?

Gabe215
04-02-2014, 09:06 AM
AVO signature and heritage blends are my favorite reg production NC's both medium range

CdnStogie
04-02-2014, 12:12 PM
Jeff, what size cigars do you like best?

Since I am newer to cigars I am not too particular...

I have enjoyed the robustos and coronas. Haven't tried much bigger than the robusto I do not think

WhiteMamba
04-06-2014, 07:05 PM
Jeff, have you signed up for the news letter?

Xolotal Mungin
05-20-2014, 07:56 AM
I have to put a word in for the Butera Royal Vintage, currently one of my favorite mild sticks.

PuffsNStuff
05-20-2014, 09:12 AM
May I suggest the room 101 namacubi the Torano salutem and the h. Upman legacy

Sweet_Leaf_PDX
05-21-2014, 10:32 AM
Reading through this thread and a stick that is on the lighter side (according to me) but has tons of great flavors is the CyB (Cuenca y Blanco) by JDN.