PDA

View Full Version : A question about death....

Remo
05-17-2012, 11:14 AM
Figured i'd see what kind of answers I get about this. Me and my buddies often kick around this subject and I am sure some of you do also. The question is....

If you could know the date and time of your death and how you die would you want to know? I usually go with yes, might be good to know so you could get things done that you wanted to accomplish, get things in order and maybe be a better person. On the flipside that would be on your mind all the time and maybe crippling to know that you only have so much time left.

Odd question I know but kind of interesting.

floydpink
05-17-2012, 11:40 AM
If you MUST know, click here.
http://www.deathclock.com/

chaase321
05-17-2012, 11:41 AM
I love this question. I have considered it many times...

I agree that some people would be "crippled" knowing the date, time, and way they will die. However, I look at it this way...

death happens to everyone, there is no amount of worrying, running, changing, money, or science that will keep you alive forever; therefore, why not know? If i knew when, then I think that would take all the worrying away.

I think about it this way...because no one knows when they will die, they are constantly worrying about it, thinking about it, trying to live their life a certain way (i.e. health, monetarily, etc.). If they knew, then they could ease their worrying and make sure to spend more time with the people and things that really matter in life. I think people would be generally happier. If you knew you were going to be dead tomorrow, you would probably be pleasant today; however, since you don't know...you may in fact be a complete a-hole today.

Also, as no one will ever really know, we already have a jaded outlook on it.

replicant_argent
05-17-2012, 11:42 AM
Isn't knowing you will die enough?
No one gets out of here alive. Nuff said.

Steve
05-17-2012, 11:45 AM
I already know when I'll die...someday :D

Subvet642
05-17-2012, 11:47 AM
I've often considered it the curse of humanity to be aware of our mortality, in any respect. As for being a better person, the "skull and crossed bones" of Masonic symbology is a reminder that death is always near and we should conduct ourselves such that we are always prepared for judgement. If one is waiting for their "departure" time and date before becoming a better person, they've already failed.

massphatness
05-17-2012, 11:50 AM
I really could not care less about when I'm going to die -- it's not something I think about, really at all. The woman I work for is 66 or so and stresses about sniffle, cough and bug bite that comes along. She won't stay in hotels above the 7th floor because she's afraid a ladder truck wouldn't be able to reach her. She doesn't fly because crashing terrifies her. Bird flu & mad cow nearly have her in a hermit-like state. It's crazy -- she's so afraid of EVERYTHING that I don't think she really enjoys anything. Sad. No thank you.

Steve
05-17-2012, 11:55 AM
Seriously, I already had my near death experience back in January of 2009. The way I look at it, each new year is a bonus year for me. I am glad to still be here for my wife and daughter and try to enjoy every minute I can.

Remo
05-17-2012, 12:11 PM

Yeah, but that is a natural time death.

mosesbotbol
05-17-2012, 12:14 PM
I don't want to know. How could anyone be sure of when you'll die unless they are planning on killing you?

Blak Smyth
05-17-2012, 12:20 PM
I would like to know. if it is soon, I don't want to spend anymore time at this god forsaken place of business I find myself at everyday.

Remo
05-17-2012, 12:21 PM
I don't want to know. How could anyone be sure of when you'll die unless they are planning on killing you?

Hypothetical question bro :tu

bobarian
05-17-2012, 12:40 PM
I choose to enjoy life, rather than ponder an inevitable death. :sh

Apoco
05-17-2012, 01:25 PM
Sure I do! Assuming nothing I do from there on would change that date and time once I know it - I could have a heck of a lot of fun being reckless between now and then :banger
Posted via Mobile Device

Pseudosacred
05-17-2012, 01:27 PM
If I knew when I was going to die, I'd be a dangerous person to be around...

shilala
05-17-2012, 01:55 PM
Nope. It wouldn't change a thing about how I do anything, it's useless information.
When I wrap it up every night and say my prayers, I don't expect a tomorrow. When I open my eyes and I'm allowed another go at it, it's a gift and I treat it as such.
There's nothing left that I desire, hope for, or want to do that I'd feel like I was losing out if God took me in the middle of dinner tonight.
We're having grilled ribeyes and corn on the cob, otherwise I'd have said "before dinner tonight". ;)

Ogre
05-17-2012, 02:06 PM
I don't care to know. I will play hard until my batteries run out!!!

jjirons69
05-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Don't want to know. Could care less. Charging ahead daily. Life is an adventure not a destination.

replicant_argent
05-17-2012, 03:20 PM
I'd feel like I was losing out if God took me in the middle of dinner tonight.
We're having grilled ribeyes and corn on the cob, otherwise I'd have said "before dinner tonight". ;)

If God takes me out while I am mid-Ribeye, I will be having a serious Come-to-Jesus chat with her for screwing up my meal, and using it as confirmation that she hates me.

Ribeye, the King of meats, all shall bow before it.

never_enough
05-17-2012, 03:37 PM
Sure. I like to know things.

Ogre
05-17-2012, 03:48 PM
If God takes me out while I am mid-Ribeye, I will be having a serious Come-to-Jesus chat with her for screwing up my meal, and using it as confirmation that she hates me.

Ribeye, the King of meats, all shall bow before it.

:r:r:r

pektel
05-17-2012, 03:49 PM
Hell no. Knowing would take all the fun out of it. :tu

Big_Ern
05-17-2012, 03:54 PM
I do not want to know
I try to live everyday without regret.
"treat others as you would like to be treated without the expectations of being treated that way" leads to less disappointment in life.

bonjing
05-17-2012, 04:02 PM
Id' be curious about how I would die versus knowing when.

Mattso3000
05-17-2012, 05:14 PM
Really don't care to know on this one...but reading this thread I really hope i can finish the ribeye that takes me out.

Bill86
05-17-2012, 05:36 PM
I usually go with yes, might be good to know so you could get things done that you wanted to accomplish

This. So I could make sure I enjoyed my life and died with nothing left.

Make sure there isn't any cigars left either :r

shilala
05-17-2012, 07:12 PM
I made it through the Ribeye and it was spectacular. So was the corn.
Apparently God doesn't have the patience to deal with me just yet.

Remo
05-17-2012, 07:44 PM
Lots of good answers :tu

emopunker2004
05-17-2012, 07:49 PM
Live every day like it's your last Mike, then it won't matter.

Old Sailor
05-17-2012, 09:31 PM
Every day is a good day when you don't wakeup dead!:D

pnoon
05-17-2012, 09:53 PM
Nice review.

n3uka
05-17-2012, 11:08 PM

According to the clock I will be dead next year. :tf

Going to change my thoughts to didn't want to know. ;)

area51
05-18-2012, 05:59 AM
Id like to know.

Stephen
05-18-2012, 06:22 AM
Apparently God doesn't have the patience to deal with me just yet.
Does Heaven have a smoking section, or are those clean-air bastards running rampant up there, too?

BC-Axeman
05-18-2012, 07:01 AM
Seriously, I already had my near death experience back in January of 2009. The way I look at it, each new year is a bonus year for me. I am glad to still be here for my wife and daughter and try to enjoy every minute I can.
Same here. I was hit by a tree falling on me and lived through it. Every day is a gift. I would never have seen my grandchildren. Thank you Lord.

Wanger
05-18-2012, 07:03 AM

Hmmmm...my one grandpa was 89 when he died, and my other one was 93. My dad is 73, and a fairly heavy smoker. I take better care of myself than they all have. There's no way I'm going at 74, like the clock said, unless someone is taking me out! I plan on dying after having a massive cheeseburger when I'm 95 and have just finished the Ironman Hawaii triathlon. :p

RevSmoke
05-18-2012, 08:44 AM
I don't ever really think about it. Yes, I know that either I will die, or Christ will return. I expect that either could happen today. So, I like to try and live each day as if it were my last.

How?
Spend time in God's Word and prayer.
Love my family.
Enjoy what you have to do that day.
Love *all* those around you. (By the way, when I say to "love" others, I am not talking about w/feelings, but with how you treat them.)

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Smokin Gator
05-18-2012, 10:44 AM
I figure I will die when God is done with me being here. Until then I just try to live everyday as he would have me to...

BC-Axeman
05-18-2012, 11:13 AM
Only 1.233 billion seconds to go. How to plan?

14holestogie
05-18-2012, 11:15 AM
Expiration dates are for dairy products.

Don't want to know. Don't care to know. When my times up, I'll have stuff left to do.

maninblack
05-18-2012, 01:06 PM
Live everyday like its your last. I don't need nor want to know. Let the chips fall where they may.