PDA

View Full Version : Some goodies..

CigarSquid
05-16-2012, 07:08 PM
I know Corn Cobs are already cheap, But I bought a $3.00 one from my local News and Smokes. I wanted to see if I would like this before finding a decent cob.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/niSssEanR/Pipes/IMAG0256.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/niSssEanR/Pipes/IMAG0257.jpg

I also picked up some tobacco, 3 different kinds.. See how this goes for me..

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/niSssEanR/Pipes/IMAG0253.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/niSssEanR/Pipes/IMAG0254.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/niSssEanR/Pipes/IMAG0255.jpg

Cob bowl seems real small. After this, I will try the Dr. Grabow I inherited.

RichieBklyn
05-16-2012, 07:18 PM
Looks Fuuuuuunnn.....

DaBear
05-16-2012, 08:44 PM
Enjoy it! Remember, think of your 'puffs' as a sipping draw, not the harder draw you'd use on a cigar. On the light take long, easy draws, just enough to get the flame down into the tobacco. :tu

CigarSquid
05-19-2012, 07:16 PM
The cob was crap.. It broke. Also, first pipe smoking didn't go to well. I stopped and grabbed a cigar.

I'm going to try one of the ones that were given to me, tonight.

RHNewfie
05-20-2012, 01:05 PM
The cob was crap.. It broke. Also, first pipe smoking didn't go to well. I stopped and grabbed a cigar.

I'm going to try one of the ones that were given to me, tonight.

Don't give up! Your perseverance will be rewarded!

Zanaspus
05-20-2012, 02:21 PM
If I may offer another opinion, try different tobacco. Most pipesmokers start with local pipe shop (Altadis) aromatics. To me, this will never be an enjoyable experience if you're a cigar smoker.

Call Cornell & Diehl and tell Craig or whoever you get that you're new and would like try try some non-aromatic blends. Let him know you are coming from cigars, and I'm sure he'll toss you some cigar blend, a good burley, and a good Virginia among other things. I can almost promise you'll be happy.

http://cornellanddiehl.com/index.html

:2

CigarSquid
05-21-2012, 07:00 AM
Seems like a lot of work to try and smoke a bowl. I had a burley blend I tried Saturday. I did like it, Just couldn't get it to burn.

I ended up watching some videos and what not on youtube.. I wasn't lighting it correctly. I was scared to light it.. So, I may attempt this again now that I have seen how to light it.

My problem is it always goes out!

Zanaspus
05-21-2012, 12:01 PM
My problem is it always goes out!

As soon as you feel comfortable enough with your manhood that you don't view this as a problem you've got it. Media has always somehow told us that "cool people" smoke a pipe from beginning to finish on one light. These folks are actually people who have never gotten flavor out of tobacco. Real pipesmokers keep a lighter very close, because a properly smoked pipe does go out.

That's the other reason I rail against bulks in pipe shops. They're goopy enough that it's hard to establish good technique. I'll give you a secret. Next time you hit a Wal-Mart or a local tobacco store, buy a pouch of Prince Albert or Carter Hall. Some pipe snobs laugh at these, but they're much better quality than 99.99% of things you'll find in bulk at a pipe store. They're also excellent "learning" tobaccos.

Blak Smyth
05-21-2012, 12:17 PM
I understand what you are going through Garry, I had tried getting into this slope as well but couldn't seem to maintain a consistent process. I have not given up on it, but am really loving cigars. Your thread, and the info from Tony, has made me want to try again soon.

CigarSquid
05-21-2012, 01:13 PM
Shane, After the times I have tried the pipe.. and I had a cigar next.. Man was that cigar more enjoyable than before..

keith_mahoney
05-24-2012, 03:43 PM
Have you tried really drying out your tobacco? Maybe overnight if it is heavily cased.

I just started smoking a pipe last month to save money vs. cigars. Ha! yeah right.
I have dived head first down this slope.

I like pipes way more than cigars now especially since I can spend $10 on a cigar and have an enjoyable 2 hrs. I can spend $10 on a tin of pipe tobacco and have 20-30 hrs of enjoyable smoking time. There's also the fact I can smoke a pipe in the middle of the day without getting zonked out on vitamin N. Now I only turn to a cigar when I want a big N hit at night or when my buddies pressure me into one.

CigarSquid
05-24-2012, 08:13 PM
ehh.. I do not think pipes are for me. I will just display them, the ones that were passed down to me.

I will buy a cob pipe.. to at least finish the stuff I bought.

Pseudosacred
05-24-2012, 08:30 PM
I've smoked through 2 different tins of C&D blends and, not once, have I smoked through without 5 or 6 relights. It goes out, I relight it. No shame.

That being said, I'm probably done with pipes. Cigars do it for me

CigarSquid
05-24-2012, 08:50 PM
I've smoked through 2 different tins of C&D blends and, not once, have I smoked through without 5 or 6 relights. It goes out, I relight it. No shame.

That being said, I'm probably done with pipes. Cigars do it for me

Agree. -(P-(P

DaBear
05-24-2012, 09:43 PM
Have you tried really drying out your tobacco? Maybe overnight if it is heavily cased.

I just started smoking a pipe last month to save money vs. cigars. Ha! yeah right.
I have dived head first down this slope.

I like pipes way more than cigars now especially since I can spend $10 on a cigar and have an enjoyable 2 hrs. I can spend $10 on a tin of pipe tobacco and have 20-30 hrs of enjoyable smoking time. There's also the fact I can smoke a pipe in the middle of the day without getting zonked out on vitamin N. Now I only turn to a cigar when I want a big N hit at night or when my buddies pressure me into one.

Wait till you start smoking VaPers. Only thing I can get a nic kick from. I can smoke 6 cigars one after another and feel nothing. A couple/few bowls of a VaPer and I'm feelin it somethin bad.

keith_mahoney
05-29-2012, 08:19 PM
Wait till you start smoking VaPers. Only thing I can get a nic kick from. I can smoke 6 cigars one after another and feel nothing. A couple/few bowls of a VaPer and I'm feelin it somethin bad.

Even though VaPers were originally too sweet for me, now I am addicted to them. I just placed a large order from pipesandcigars.
Here is what I got coming:

Cornell & Diehl Tin - tptcnd37 1 8.94
Purple Cow (2oz.)
Cornell & Diehl Tin - tptcnd04 1 8.94
Bayou Morning Flake (2oz)
Cornell & Diehl Tin - tptcnd953 1 8.94
First Responders Pipe
Tobacco (2oz)
Cornell & Diehl "Pirate bptcnd02 4 2.35
Kake" (bulk)
Dunhill Tin - Night Cap / tptdun10 1 8.50
Nightcap (50g)
Corn Cob Diplomat mmcc3 2 8.25
Straight Pipe
Dunhill Tin - Mixture 965 tptdun09 1 8.50
(50g)
Cornell & Diehl "Night bptcnd95 4 2.35
Train" (bulk)
BJ Long's X-Absorbent pc09 5 1.04
Pipe Cleaners (bundle)
Escudo Navy DeLuxe (50g) tptacp01 1 9.59
GL Pease Haddo's Delight tptglp11 1 9.76
[2oz tin]
Cornell & Diehl "Bayou bptcnd08 4 2.35
Morning" (bulk)
Cornell & Diehl Tin - tptcnd91(b/o x1) 0 8.94
Exhausted Rooster (2oz)
Hearth & Home Virginia tpthnh629 1 14.95
Spice 8oz tin

This order started out as just wanting more Virginia Spice and to try a couple of different tins but I got carried away.

Edit: to actually say something that has to do with why I quoted you. I still get a Nic hit from cigars but with a pipe I can just start smoking a bowl of whatever blend I feel like at lunch and when the N starts to come on I'll just put it away for later. The amazing thing is a pipe will still taste good later where as a cigar will be a nasty stale mess if you try to finish one later.