PDA

View Full Version : S.T. Dupont "replicas"

Silound
05-10-2012, 10:36 AM
Let me preface this by pointing out that I have a real one, I love it. I refuse to take it anywhere for dread fear of losing it or having it stolen (I lose lighters like a squirrel loses nuts). My brother left his (identical matching; we bought them together as a celebration) at a bar, and would have lost it forever had an honest person not grabbed it and ran out to catch him in the parking lot.

I'd like to obtain a couple replicas (read: knockoffs) that are of decent quality that I can carry around with me without the fear of losing or damaging them. I'd also be giving one or two to my brother for the same reason.

Can anyone recommend a source they know is of reasonable quality?

mosesbotbol
05-10-2012, 11:24 AM
Whatever looks to be too good to be real on Ebay.

shopkins82
05-10-2012, 01:42 PM
If you're not looking for an extremely close replica, do a quick search for "TNIG Lighter" (misspelled as you see it) you'll find several from China ranging from $7 to $18. I have one of the $7 models with the "D" logo and I'm pretty happy with it. It's my only soft-flame lighter.

The "screw covers" on the bottom are cosmetic only while the butane refill valve and adjustment are standard and exposed. The "Ting" sound is made by a small tuning-fork style sheet of metal in the flip-up lid and, while not 100% accurate, is at least pleasing a decent attempt.

The lighter itself seems fairly reliable, rarely taking more than one roll to light. The flame height can be adjusted much higher than you would ever need for daily use. The tank hold a moderate amount of fuel, but with an average height flame it will last many cigars before needing to be refilled. Wind-resistance is the major drawback and nearly non-existent.

I've read of these, over time, developing an inconsistent flame height. So far, after a month of use, I've not seen this. They also apparently use standard Zippo-size flints. I've run mine on both plain Ronson and FasFil 5x Refined butane and can't tell much difference.

If you're at all interested in having both a torch and soft-flame in a Dupont-style package, check out the Ever Torch, but you're looking at $50-$70 depending on which style/finish you chose.

awsmith4
05-10-2012, 01:54 PM
Which model?

mosesbotbol
05-10-2012, 01:57 PM
Atol lighters are really nice on their own and not too expensive

Silound
05-10-2012, 04:44 PM
Shopkins, thanks for the heads up, looking into that now.

I was looking at this earlier:
http://www.newluxurybelt.com/items/replica-lighter-unisex-dupont-24054.html

My brother and I both have the gold trimmed black lacquer model like that one. (Dupont #16884)

A friend has one of the other models from this site, he swears up and down that it's a damn near perfect replica, but I won't get a chance to look at it for a week or two yet, so I was looking around.

awsmith4
05-10-2012, 08:17 PM

My brother and I both have the gold trimmed black lacquer model like that one. (Dupont #16884)

A friend has one of the other models from this site, he swears up and down that it's a damn near perfect replica, but I won't get a chance to look at it for a week or two yet, so I was looking around.

If that's the case check out Pete's site (Replicant Argent)

http://www.stogietorch.com/welcome.html

I have used these and they are great lighters

Jamesj
05-15-2012, 09:14 AM

You can get Dupont replicas cheaper from ioffer.com Just do a search on the site for "dupont lighters" They are really good replicas. :tu

mosesbotbol
05-15-2012, 09:38 AM
Do the replicas have threaded butane fittings or is it just a regular non ST Dupont fitting?

Jamesj
05-15-2012, 09:59 AM
Do the replicas have threaded butane fittings or is it just a regular non ST Dupont fitting?

They are threaded like the real deal.

pnoon
05-15-2012, 10:26 AM
They are threaded like the real deal.
Are you here as an agent for the website or are you a cigar smoker interested in our community? If it is the latter, please post an intro in the New Inmate forum and tell us a bit about yourself.

Welcome.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jamesj
05-15-2012, 12:44 PM
Are you here as an agent for the website or are you a cigar smoker interested in our community? If it is the latter, please post an intro in the New Inmate forum and tell us a bit about yourself.

Welcome.
Posted via Mobile Device

I do not represent ioffer.com, just a regular cigar smoker trying to help out a fellow aficionado with a question. I just registered and had not gotten around to posting an intro in the New Inmate forum.

pnoon
05-15-2012, 01:25 PM
Fair enough.
When the first post from a new member is a link to a business, it attracts our attention.
Posted via Mobile Device

shopkins82
05-17-2012, 09:12 AM
What you see on NewLuxuryBelt and iOffer is what I would consider a replica or counterfeit... i.e. nearly identical including copyrighted names/logos. Most of those I was referring to on eBay (in the $7-$20 range) are more what I would consider "St. Dupont Style", i.e. same general dimensions, similar roll mechanism, but not so identical (i.e. standard butane valve) as to be considered a counterfeit and also (in most cases) not using the copyrighted St. Dupont logo. It's a fine grey line, but it's one you may want to consider depending on exactly what you're looking for and how you feel about IP.

Silound
05-18-2012, 07:45 AM
I did in fact order one from iOffer last week. Waiting for it to arrive from China (so you know it's a phony with a capital "P").

I went into pure panic mode a couple days ago. I went looking for my real one and couldn't find it to save my life. I finally remembered it's stowed away in my safe deposit box with some other valuables from the last time I moved. Took more than one glass of good bourbon to make me feel better :)

OLS
05-18-2012, 09:48 AM
While we are shilling our various preferred websites, I would like to add one that I often shill for, and obviously
I have no connection to them. But JR is having another of their specials where you can get one of the S.T.-esque
lighters in Macanudo-livery by buying any box of Macanudos. I do not buy many Macs, but felt like giving Portofinos
another go, so I picked up another of these. I have several of the LGC ones from other deals. You might be
able to kill two birds with this deal.

http://www.jrcigars.com/jr/index.cfm/hurl/evt=dealDetails/dealID=321/Macanudo-Flint-Lighter-FREE-.html

S.T. it AIN'T, but it is a nice, heavy flint lighter with a tinggk at opening rather than a tingggg

Were I SMART, I would have selected one of the 50-60 dollar a box cigars instead of $120, but I wasn't thinking.

Partially Deaf
05-19-2012, 01:45 PM
Wow I didn't even know what an S.T. Dupont was before this thread. Those are some seriously blinged out lighters.

shopkins82
05-20-2012, 08:23 PM
The Macanudo and LGC lighters look very similar to the $7 eBay knock-offs I now have two of, except likely with another round or two of QC.

bonjing
05-30-2012, 10:06 PM
Anychance for a review when you lighter arrives?

Silound
05-31-2012, 10:11 PM
I'll post some pictures as soon as it arrives. I went cheap on the shipping, basic postal service from China will probably take around 4 weeks to arrive, so I should hopefully see it sometime in the next week or so.

Fia
06-01-2012, 01:21 AM
I'll post some pictures as soon as it arrives. I went cheap on the shipping, basic postal service from China will probably take around 4 weeks to arrive, so I should hopefully see it sometime in the next week or so.

Would be very interested to hear your experiences when the transaction is complete. I liked the 007 model especially for the price. Do they accept p**p**? Nervous using my CC in this situation.

Fia
06-01-2012, 01:37 AM
Would be very interested to hear your experiences when the transaction is complete. I liked the 007 model especially for the price. Do they accept p**p**? Nervous using my CC in this situation.

After looking more it seems it is kind of like ebay where you are dealing with individual sellers and giving feedback ratings.

Silound
06-01-2012, 06:36 PM
I actually ended up getting mine on iOffer.com. They function basically as a haggling market, you make an offer based on the list price, the seller makes a counter offer or accepts yours, etc etc.

I paid via everyone's favorite fee-hungry service, so I have buyer protection if I never get the lighter. My seller, however, was very prompt in sending me the sale information, including a tracking number (worthless once the package is outside of China I discovered) that went active the next business day. I know it exited China and I know how long it takes to transit the Pacific, but I don't know if it's making the trip via air or ship.

Silound
06-12-2012, 09:20 AM
Well, it arrived looking all nice and pretty.

There are three dead giveaways it's a knockoff...the serial is too neat, there isn't a color ring inside the fill screw, and it's a single flame (Ligne 2 should be double).

That being said, the weight is almost dead on, it opens with a *very* good ping (slightly more hollow, but it resonates very well), and it works as a lighter :) I can honestly say I'm very satisfied. $42 shipped with the leather case was worth the wait.

Here are some pictures, forgive my fingerprints and camera angles please.

Fia
06-12-2012, 04:11 PM

There are three dead giveaways it's a knockoff...the serial is too neat, there isn't a color ring inside the fill screw, and it's a single flame (Ligne 2 should be double).

That being said, the weight is almost dead on, it opens with a *very* good ping (slightly more hollow, but it resonates very well), and it works as a lighter :) I can honestly say I'm very satisfied. $42 shipped with the leather case was worth the wait.

Nice!!! BTW If I may ask, who was the seller on iOffer?

Silound
06-12-2012, 05:00 PM
Sent you a PM with details.

bonjing
06-15-2012, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the update, the lighter looks very nice.

Blak Smyth
06-15-2012, 11:58 AM

That looks pretty sharp, I may need to get one of these!

WittyUserName
06-15-2012, 01:56 PM
Mine is on the way!!

shopkins82
06-15-2012, 02:22 PM
Does it fill with Dupont Butane (or adapter) like your real one? If so, what color Butane? If I'm buying a replica, I'd actually prefer it fill with standard Butane, but I don't own a real ST to begin with. Otherwise it looks great!

WittyUserName
06-15-2012, 02:47 PM
Does it fill with Dupont Butane (or adapter) like your real one? If so, what color Butane? If I'm buying a replica, I'd actually prefer it fill with standard Butane, but I don't own a real ST to begin with. Otherwise it looks great!

That is a great question, I guess I will find out when it arrives.

Silound
06-16-2012, 08:30 AM
Mine did not come color coded for a bottle, but we figured out it would accept a gold refill can.

However, I fill mine perfectly fine using a small brass adapter a friend has. It's just a tapered piece that sits against the seal and allows you to use a standard butane can. I looked around online, you can fine various ones that are actually made for real Dupont lighters.

Probably another thing I'll buy at some point.

Silound
06-16-2012, 08:33 AM
Here's the one that I was told works very well. You need to know what model your knockoff is to know what color (IE fitting size) you need. Mine (Ligne 2) takes a gold adapter.

http://www.cigarmony.com/butanegasrefilladapterforstdupontlighters.aspx