PDA

View Full Version : PSA for Driving in Illinois.......

coach
05-08-2012, 12:48 PM
For those who LIVE or will be TRAVELING TO/THROUGH ILLINOIS......

a friendly msg for those LIVING or TRAVELING TO/THROUGH IL

Illinois will begin using photo radar in freeway work zones starting in July.

Beginning in July the State of Illinois will use speed cameras in areas designated as 'Work Zones' on major freeways. Anyone caught by these devices will be mailed a $375.00 ticket for the FIRST offense, but the SECOND offense will cost $ 1000.00 and comes with a 90-Day suspension.

Drivers will also receive demerit points against their license , which allows insurance companies to raise their rates.

This represents the harshest penalty structure yet for a city or s tate using PHOTO enforcements. The State will begin with FIVE camera vans issuing tickets in work zones with speed limits lowered to 45 MPH.

Photographs of both the Driver's face and License plate are taken.

Pass this on to everyone you know.

For more info: http://www.dot.state.il.us/press/r062409.html

Ogre
05-08-2012, 12:54 PM
Another way to make a buck!!! I understand the need to slow down in a construction zone, but thats just over the top.

OLS
05-08-2012, 12:57 PM
As someone who has gotten 2 Photo tickets, I agree, Larry.

cjhalbrooks
05-08-2012, 12:58 PM
wow thanks man i drive through there all the time.

never_enough
05-08-2012, 01:04 PM
Damn, thats expensive

mhailey
05-08-2012, 01:06 PM
How is mailing you a ticket proper service. I have received one photo radar ticket (going 32 in a 30 i kid you not), and threw away the ticket. It was mailed to me and not properly served. They sent a follow up saying that if i did not pay they would be forced to serve me (NO KIDDING) and i would be hit with the service fees. They never served me, and the ticket was trashed.

Are the police personally serving all of the people caught on photo radar? Does the enabling statute allow service by regular mail???

mhailey
05-08-2012, 01:12 PM
Okay, so the ticket is mailed to you by certified mail. don't pick up your certified mail.

http://www.dot.il.gov/workzone/photo%20Enforcement.pdf

cjhalbrooks
05-08-2012, 01:13 PM
good tip, can i return it to sender???

elderboy02
05-08-2012, 01:33 PM
Another reason for me to not visit IL

cmitch
05-08-2012, 01:55 PM
I'll stay out as well. It just means that they could now throw up a couple of 'Men Working' Signs every time a mower or weed eater is present and set up a ticket writing scheme. Sounds crazy BUT I was an unsuspecting victim of such a scam in Tennessee in 1990 where I was issued a parking ticket for 95.00 and a TOW FEE of 60.00. The Tennessee Trooper and the towing company had themselves quite a scam going until the General Sessions Judge shut it down. Didn't help me any. I paid it prior to the judgement but my letter to the state AG probably didn't hurt.

kydsid
05-08-2012, 01:58 PM
Points on a photo ticket? That is the first I have heard of that in the US. From my understanding the picture of the face will be required for the points part.

I guess the next time in Illinois I need to pull a Jeremy Clarkson and wear a Bill Oddie mask.

deaster25
05-08-2012, 02:07 PM
The only time I ever visit Illinois is to go to East St Louis.

68TriShield
05-08-2012, 02:08 PM
As someone that has had three employees hit by cars,if you get caught,tough crap.

Slow the hell down,they are fixing the road for you.

markem
05-08-2012, 02:14 PM
As someone that has had three employees hit by cars,if you get caught,tough crap.

:tpd: When I was still teaching motorcycle safety classes, many of the other instructors were police officers. One did accident reconstruction. He told me once that one of the most dangerous places to be in Oregon is out of a car in a work zone. He particularly mentioned truck drivers who were hopped on meth and doing 80 or so, but also mentioned car drivers who would plow in to the back of a work truck (after 1-2 miles of warnings) and then claim that they didn't know that construction was going on.

If you obey the laws in construction zones, then I don't see the problem. I doubt that this is the only speeding offense in Il that results in points.

cjhalbrooks
05-08-2012, 02:24 PM
Boys lets be nice

pnoon
05-08-2012, 02:29 PM
Didn't get the memo you were anointed a moderator. ;)

Everyone IS being nice. If you have an issue with someone's post or the direction a thread is heading, please bring it to the attention of the TOE.
:2
Posted via Mobile Device

cjhalbrooks
05-08-2012, 02:36 PM
no memo needed i dont want that weight on my name.

Bill86
05-08-2012, 02:45 PM
My problem is the signs should read "when workers present". I don't want a ticket when they aren't even working out there and it's night time. I also think camera tickets aren't exactly fair, however sometimes they are hard to argue :D

You can even watch it online, my brother went through a red light (half ass stopped) and they had him doing it up on a website. Wasn't much to argue.

I have no problem slowing down for construction workers, hell I even move over lanes, but I don't like the idea of cameras at all. Just put a cop car there. EVERYONE notices the flashing red and blue lights. Hell the car could be abandon, still everyone sees it.

cjhalbrooks
05-08-2012, 02:49 PM
Just put a cop car there. EVERYONE notices the flashing red and blue lights. Hell the car could be abandon, still everyone sees it.

I have seen this in VA. It worked it wasn't till i passed the same area the next day during the day time that i was there wasnt a cop. But think of this what about smaller police stations that may not have a extra car to do this. and man power is always thin.

TJarv
05-08-2012, 02:50 PM
My line of work requires me to be in a work zone every now and then , and I have to say I'm glad they are doing this.

Now it is a little extreme and maybe a lazy way of doing it.

I like when we have a officer parked in our workzones because you see a very dramatic change in the speed and attitude of drivers.

The photos are a little much, why not just have a cruiser set up there?

Just my :2

CigarNut
05-08-2012, 02:52 PM
My problem is the signs should read "when workers present". I don't want a ticket when they aren't even working out there and it's night time. I also think camera tickets aren't exactly fair, however sometimes they are hard to argue :D

You can even watch it online, my brother went through a red light (half ass stopped) and they had him doing it up on a website. Wasn't much to argue.

I have no problem slowing down for construction workers, hell I even move over lanes, but I don't like the idea of cameras at all. Just put a cop car there. EVERYONE notices the flashing red and blue lights. Hell the car could be abandon, still everyone sees it.I would rather have the police out doing other more important things (finding bad guys) and rely on the cameras for traffic stuff. It costs a lot of money to fund a good police department and I would like to get the most effective use from the officers and equipment.

If you are speeding or doing something that gets caught by a camera then time of day, construction workers present, etc., should not make any difference.

Too many people think that driving is a right and it's not.

I also do not support municipalities using photo/radar to fund all their cities needs -- there needs to be a balance.

markem
05-08-2012, 02:57 PM
Just put a cop car there. EVERYONE notices the flashing red and blue lights. Hell the car could be abandon, still everyone sees it.

The city of Hillsboro, OR has a police car silhouette that they put on an overpass above highway 26 (connects Portland to the coast) during the summer. It is extremely effective, or so the HPD tells me.

icehog3
05-08-2012, 03:02 PM
FYI, Coach, IL has been doing this every summer for years now. It is nothing new.

If there are workers present, and the signs say "45".....go 45 and you won't have to worry. And neither will the workers.

Bill86
05-08-2012, 03:03 PM
The city of Hillsboro, OR has a police car silhouette that they put on an overpass above highway 26 (connects Portland to the coast) during the summer. It is extremely effective, or so the HPD tells me.

Yeah, I've seen plenty of unmanned police cars...drivers don't know the difference unless they pay attention day in day out. They always slow down.

It works.

In certain cities here, there's stickers on the gas pumps of cops who died on the side of the road just like construction workers.

It's a serious problem and ticketing a few people isn't going to make it go away anytime soon. That's just for money.

shark
05-08-2012, 04:38 PM
Injure or kill a construction worker in MI and it could mean up to 15 years in prison. Otherwise, traffic fines are doubled in work zones, and you never know if one of those guys is a construction worker or a police officer with a radar device.... :D