PDA

View Full Version : Oliva Cain 550 Habano

IlmProcess
05-04-2012, 08:06 PM
I bought a 5 pack of these and they've been sitting for about a week or so.

Description:

5 3/4 x 50 Oliva Cain 550 Habano Natural cigars are handmade in Nicaragua by Tabacalera Oliva using a 'straight ligero' blend of triple-fermented longfillers, plus a pinch of Seco and Viso for combustibility. Two wrapper choices are offered: the Habano has a nutty base accented by mocha and pepper, while the Maduro's cocoa-inflected sweetness benefits from notes of leather and spice. Rich and full-bodied, Oliva Cain 550 Habano cigars are best enjoyed after a sumptuous meal! Make sure you have some of these awesome cigars in your humidor.

I smoked this after dinner with a cup of coffee. Initially I had smoked it with sparkling water but the coffee seemed to smooth the experience a little bit.

The first inch or so had little flavour, a little harsh. The draw was a little too easy. Quite a bit of white smoke.

After about an inch there was some pepper and charry flavours. This stayed about the same until about the middle of the stick where there were some sweet, fruity tones for a puff or two.

It gave off these sweet flavours thereafter only right after I gave a light purge which was strange to me. It was never harsh or bitter after the first inch, but there wasn't a ton going on.

Closer to the end it gave off a little more spice.

It burned pretty consistently but it needed some more time in the humidor as the wrapper seemed to burn a little more slowly than the filler—it never tunneled and the wrapper would catch up but it wasn't an ideal burn.

The flavours were pretty consistent but never really that nice—mostly a bit charry and some earth; it lacked complexity.

The only thing really impressive about the cigar was the nicotine punch; I'm still feeling it a good 20-30 minutes after finishing the cigar. :sl

I'll let the other four sit a little longer and hope that they develop a bit over time.

Anyone else have a different impression?

Wharf Rat
05-04-2012, 08:30 PM
For my money, the Cain Daytona is way ahead of its namesakes.

cobra03
05-04-2012, 09:40 PM
Ive got a box of these from when they were first released and i can say that age seems to do well for these cigars. They still have quite a kick but they are starting to mellow out a bit which allows some other flavors to come through.