PDA

View Full Version : Question about DVD writing...

shilala
05-02-2012, 04:31 PM
I have a big pile of bluray discs. If I simply write files or put an .iso of a program on there, will it read in any cd-rom? (I specifically have a program .iso that's around 7gb that I want to burn.)
I'm not writing a bluray movie to the disc, won't be later, and will just close the write session. I won't need to store any other info on that disc at a later date.
I could get around this by buying dual layer dvd's, obviously, but I don't have any on hand. This is a question I've been wondering about since I got my bluray burners and haven't explored it yet.

Hopefully I've asked this clearly enough. Thanks, guys!!! :tu

T.G
05-02-2012, 05:44 PM
Not that I'm aware of, Scott.

shilala
05-02-2012, 07:25 PM
I might just have to try it, huh?

Bill86
05-02-2012, 07:35 PM
IIRC any computer that is 1.8GHZ dual core or faster CAN play bluray. Why worry about a CD-Rom? Send me a PM and I'm sure I can work out whatever idea you have :D

oooo35980
05-02-2012, 07:43 PM
I'm not up on the most current technology, but I know DVDs don't play in regular cd-roms, and I don't know why a bluray would.

shilala
05-02-2012, 08:04 PM
IIRC any computer that is 1.8GHZ dual core or faster CAN play bluray. Why worry about a CD-Rom? Send me a PM and I'm sure I can work out whatever idea you have :D
I don't need the machine to play bluray. I need to know if a cdrom or dvdrom or any other device in that vein will read data-only on a BD-R, or if it's completely unrecognizable.
I can just run a quick test tomorrow, I'll know in 15 minutes. :tu
Thanks though, brother!!! :tu

markem
05-02-2012, 08:05 PM
I'm guessing that you have blank blu-ray discs and a dvd player that can read and write blu-ray. Blu-ray is a different format from the older DVD formats. If the reader doesn't understand blu-ray and you write in blu-ray, then you won't be able to read it.

shilala
05-03-2012, 07:16 AM
I'm guessing that you have blank blu-ray discs and a dvd player that can read and write blu-ray. Blu-ray is a different format from the older DVD formats. If the reader doesn't understand blu-ray and you write in blu-ray, then you won't be able to read it.
That's exactly what I was looking for, Mark. Thank You!!! :tu
Yes, I have dual bluray burners in my current rig and a whole bunch of blank blurays. I was considering using the blurays as a long-term storage solution, but if I can only read them on a machine that has a bluray player, that's not very sensible. My desktop is the only computer in the house that's bluray capable, it'll take time for the rest to catch up.