PDA

View Full Version : I smoked an Acid Kuba Kuba

petewho
12-04-2008, 02:14 PM
:pu

Someone gave me a Kuba Kuba.

No, OK, so, really, I had been wondering why these get such a bad rap. I had genuinely been wanting to try a flavored cigar. I was actually looking forward to this cigar.

It was gifted to me in a small plastic ziplock. I opened the bag, the initial smell wasn't "bad", but just different. It smelled faintly of my wife's shampoo, but not overpowering. Still kinda-sorta smelled like a cigar too.

I took the stick out of its celo and was impressed. The band is nothing special, but the wrapper and cap were beautiful. Whoever rolled my Kuba did a damn fine job, and it clipped cleanly too. Then I made my first mistake and put the stick in my mouth...

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD, what on earth did I just put my lips on?!?!?!?! (note, I hadn't uttered this phrase since I was single and out dating some sketchy gals)

OK, wasn't ready for the sweetened tip. Now that I'm ready for it, I try again. Draw is perfect. I have nothing but good things to say about the construction of this stick. I fired it up...

"this thing smells like a hippy"

Do they dip them in patchouli oil then rub em in dirt or something? I wasn't sure, but within two or three puffs the tobacco aroma/flavor kicked in strong with a nice peppery note hiding the other aromas and I thought to myself, "I can see why some people smoke these". I started my walk...

By the next block something changed. Either the portion of the stick I was smoking was totally devoid of flavor, or the scent/aromas/toxins/rat poision they add to the stick had melted away my taste buds. Wasn't sure which, but the hippy aroma was still present so my nose was unharmed. Being a glutton for punishment I pressed on...

by the 1/3 mark the stick had settled into a pretty consistent mix of strong tobacco, pepper, and hippy, with the sweetened tip starting to mellow out. Unsure of the presence of any mind-altering chemicals added to the stick, my thoughts flipfloped between, "this is the worst cigar I have ever tasted" and "I suppose I can understand why some people like these". I paused on my walk at a park bench far away from any other (conscious) people and puffed away.

The stick held an ash all the way to the 1/2 point and required only one minor touchup. Again, I can't say enough good things about the construction of the Kuba. Really top notch.

Shortly before the 2/3 mark things got ugly. My Kuba came into its own and suddenly I understood the descriptions I've read about these before: "It's like licking gogo dancer panties soaked in head shop lamp oil." Ah, yes, exactly. I understand.

I pitched it. I stood up, thusly making my second mistake. I sat back down.

OK, so Kubas pack a pretty big nic kick too! Did not know this... Granted this was before lunch, but still, I didn't expect 2/3 of a fat robusto to hit me so hard. I floated back to the office with the hippy aroma following me the entire way. I dropped my jacket off in my car as to not bring too much aroma back into the office with me, and went through 5 Altoids to try and clear the toxins.

What can I say? Is it a unique product? Absolutely! Is the construction top shelf? You bet! Is it for me? No way!

I was gifted two. I think I'm going to put a DPG band on the other one and play a practical joke on someone.

rck70
12-04-2008, 02:19 PM
I like a flavored cigar now and again, but did not like the Kuba Kuba. In the Acid line i like the 1400cc

pnoon
12-04-2008, 02:20 PM
Thought and prayers going out to you. :)

hotreds
12-04-2008, 02:29 PM

Sounds appropriate!

icehog3
12-04-2008, 02:34 PM
I was gifted two. I think I'm going to put a DPG band on the other one and play a practical joke on someone.

Anybody who has ever smoked even a couple cigars will know something is up once that cigar is within 10 feet of their nose. :2

Smokin Gator
12-04-2008, 02:53 PM
That was a classic review... thanks for the laughs brother!!

ashmaster
12-04-2008, 02:54 PM

Love your review, it's dead on (IMHO).

I swore I would never try one, well, a few months back I said what the "heck", why not. That was the first and last time one of those will come close to me again, it just ain't right.

MithShrike
12-04-2008, 02:58 PM
That was a classic review... thanks for the laughs brother!!

Yeah the review had me rolling. The guy that introduced me to cigars loved those ACIDs. Nasty things. I hate the reek they put off even while they're still in the box.

DrDubzz
12-04-2008, 03:01 PM
my brother and I attempted some Copper Label CI legends (drew estate) that he had hiding in his cooler. If you forget it's a cigar, the wrapper tastes pretty good (like chocolate), but smoking it was unbearable

Skywalker
12-04-2008, 03:06 PM
Way to take one for the team Pete!!!:r

If you thought you hated this one try the Blondie!!!:pu

BlackIrish
12-04-2008, 03:13 PM
Fantastic review! I smoked an Acid once, can't recall which, out of idle curiosity, and my reaction was very much like yours, although you put it into words better than I could have.

There's no accounting for taste.

petewho
12-04-2008, 03:20 PM
Way to take one for the team Pete!!!:r

I take great pride in suffering. To this day I STILL feel guilty for not finishing my Cremosa at my first Herf.

Mark C
12-04-2008, 03:22 PM
I smoked a Dirt a few years ago. It was one of the first 5 cigars I'd ever smoked, and even then I thought something was off. The taste didn't bother me too much, but the sweet wrapper was disturbing. My sister in law loved the sweetness though, I let her finish it.

Mark C
12-04-2008, 03:24 PM
"It's like licking gogo dancer panties soaked in head shop lamp oil."

And I thought 12 year old madagascar vanilla was tough to nail down, I'm impressed at your taste buds!

petewho
12-04-2008, 03:37 PM
And I thought 12 year old madagascar vanilla was tough to nail down, I'm impressed at your taste buds!

I can not lay claim to that one! That's the description I read in other reviews... Once I smoked the Kuba, I understood those other reviewers. Makes perfect sense if you ever smoke one of these!

rsamos
12-04-2008, 05:08 PM
I smoked a Kuba Kuba last year that a friend (who loves them) gifted me.

I wasn't able to identify the flavor though. I think "hippy" sums it up nicely. At least as far as I remember it.

Great review, and I agree - they're built really well.

bobarian
12-04-2008, 05:12 PM
Great review Pete.:pu My condolences. :r

lenguamor
12-04-2008, 05:36 PM
Anybody who has ever smoked even a couple cigars will know something is up once that cigar is within 10 feet of their nose. :2

They are foul.

Ratters
12-04-2008, 07:20 PM
Great review. :tu

fsjonsey
12-05-2008, 09:17 AM
"this thing smells like a hippy"

Best description of an ACID, ever.

Don Fernando
12-05-2008, 09:20 AM
I know how you feel bro, I recently smoked a Phillies peach and a White Owl pineapple for a review. Worst smokes ever!

Jay Hemingway
12-05-2008, 10:30 AM
sorry to hear that.

Heliofire
12-05-2008, 10:55 AM
Yeah I tried a Dirt last week for the first and last time, and I am not kidding when I say I almost through up from that cigar. Just the thought of how sweet that cigar tasted is starting to make my stomach turn.:pu. And yet drew estate makes some nice cigars like the liga privada no 9.

petewho
12-05-2008, 11:10 AM
I forgot to mention - it gave me a headache also.

Thanks for all the thoughts and well-wishes. I seem to have survived the event without any major damage. However I am afraid to get near my wife's shampoo now for fear of throwing up a little when I smell it.

WTF to do with the 2nd Kuba???

Skywalker
12-05-2008, 03:29 PM
WTF to do with the 2nd Kuba???

Gift it to a noob!!!:r

kingcobradude
11-17-2011, 07:20 PM
I find the kuba kuba tolerable. I did like the dirt I tried. I know a guy who would probably really enjoy the kuba kuba. but yet again hed probably smoke a cigar made of oak leaves soaked in rattlesnake venom and crankcase grease given the chance. hes not on here. but the first cigar Ive seen him smoke he rubbed ketchup on and let the ketchup dry out on it

Taki
11-17-2011, 07:59 PM
Great review....I'm a fan of all Drew Estate's!!

Taki
11-17-2011, 08:00 PM
When I say fan...LP#9 :dr:dr