PDA

View Full Version : new shop ideas

barbourjay
12-04-2008, 01:06 PM
if you were looking at becoming a member at a cigar shop or just someone who frequents one locally, what is the most important factor to you? or what do you look for in a shop?

dunng
12-04-2008, 01:07 PM
Cigar selection and a place to sit... TV and drink would be a plus (I guess I'm easy). I can deal with cutting fees as long as I can buy theirs and smoke mine. :ss

Fumador
12-04-2008, 01:09 PM
Cleanliness, comfort, selection, good staff.

gettysburgfreak
12-04-2008, 01:10 PM
cigar selection, leather couches, monster ass TV, girls wearing practically nothing to light my cigars. Ok that might be a stretch but at least a good cigar selection.

mrreindeer
12-04-2008, 01:11 PM
girls wearing practically nothing to light my cigars.

ding ding ding, we have a winner!

GoatLocker
12-04-2008, 01:16 PM
In no particular order...
- A nice selection of cigars and accessories
- Comfortable seating
- Televisions
- A good ventilation system
- Outdoor patio for warm days
- A selection of drinks, snacks, coffee, etc.
- Beer/Wine, Liquor if possible
- WiFi

ucla695
12-04-2008, 01:25 PM
- Comfortable seating
- Televisions
- WiFi

:tpd: You hit the nail on the head!

awsmith4
12-04-2008, 01:51 PM
Cigar selection and a place to sit... TV and drink would be a plus (I guess I'm easy). I can deal with cutting fees as long as I can buy theirs and smoke mine. :ss

This is very important to me, I have to be able to smoke my own sticks.

- Comfortable seating
- Televisions
- WiFi

These plus the bolded selection above would make me a customer

md4958
12-04-2008, 01:53 PM
a great selection
decent prices
hot and friendly waitstaff
relaxed attitude
comfy lounge
proximity to my home

barbourjay
12-04-2008, 01:54 PM
how important are looks? classier or more laid back?

the reason i ask is to get ideas of course. a self owned shop idea has been approved by my better half.

how important is location?

dunng
12-04-2008, 01:55 PM
Looks is not #1, functionality is for me but it must be laid back.

Location helps especially if I sneak out during work... Otherwise I would not mind driving a little after work hours.

:ss

DrDubzz
12-04-2008, 01:56 PM
what goatlocker said.

wifi and a good area to sit. I would love to take my laptop, be able to watch lectures and smoke my pipe or a larger cigar. it would definitely increase the frequency with which I do both :)

csbrewfisher
12-04-2008, 01:57 PM
I mentioned to a (very) local B&M manager that it would be nice if they had Wifi. Her b*tchy response was "I don't want people turning my store into their office."

Huh? :fu :pu

Needless to say, I don't go there anymore unless there's a vendor event. Even though this place is right down the street from me, I go to the shop across town because

- the entire staff is very friendly, and the owner takes time to get to know you
- they have a good selection at good prices
- they have free beer and food on a regular basis...even live music and games
- they have many, many vendor events
- they have nickel cigar night on the 5th of every month...get one @ 5¢
- they stay open for MNF and TNF games, BYOB
- they organize cigar outings and dinners at gourmet restaurants
- they have Wifi...they WANT people to set up office there
- they'll stay open for your herf
- they stock JFRs

BTW, the name of this great B&M is Peak Cigars and Pipes in Colorado Springs.

mrreindeer
12-04-2008, 01:57 PM
I think the hostesses definitely need to have good looks Jay.

On a serious note, though, I think it doesn't have to be amazing but clean and nice. Comfortable, good looking seating. Laid back like Dunng said. Not stuffy or too classy but nice. And I can't stress the clean thing enough. I've hung out at some and they don't clean up ash that's been sitting on the end/coffee tables and it's not terribly appealing.

I do like to have my B&M (which has a lounge) close. If you were on my way home, I could potentially stop in but I'd much rather be closer to home.

And congrats on the approval from the wife!

DrDubzz
12-04-2008, 01:58 PM

the reason i ask is to get ideas of course. a self owned shop idea has been approved by my better half.

laid back is good, but it needs to be classy in the sense of up-to-date (current TV, no shag carpet, etc) and clean.

location? if this perfect shop existed... I'd drive up to 10 miles without batting an eyelash. maybe 15-20 if it's that good (regularly that is). For special herfs or shopping trips.. within an hour probably

Cigary
12-04-2008, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak

You mean like this one?

http://www.cigaroutcast.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=28&pictureid=260

- Comfortable seating
- Televisions
- WiFi

Ditto this too!!

DrDubzz
12-04-2008, 01:59 PM
BTW, the name of this great B&M is Peak Cigars and Pipes in Colorado Springs.

I am definitely stopping in there on my next annual pilgrimage to the Springs

Oh, and for the shop. Hours are important. Both my locals close at 6, which means no evening smoking. Being open to 7 or 8 would be nice (they open at 730 but I don't/can't smoke in the morning)

cbsmokin
12-04-2008, 02:36 PM
I like a place where they are nice to me. Customer Service is important. I like places that are on the nicer side (not over done with Rocky Patel advertisements) and need a TV, wifi, leather furniture, good ventilation and at least sodas and water (anything more is a plus). The more varied the selection the better.

Smoking my own is good, I have never been told no. I always buy at least a single and then just smoke what I brought (unbanded if necessary).

DrDubzz
12-04-2008, 02:42 PM
lockers aren't a terrible idea either, but not a necessity

MikeyC
12-04-2008, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak

You mean like this one?

http://www.cigaroutcast.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=28&pictureid=260

Ditto this too!!

That is the HOTTEST red X I've EVER seen. That X can light my cigar anytime. :r

Now to actually add something to the thread . . .

I think location is important. Obviously, I don't want to go anywhere that I think my car is going to be stolen while I'm inside. Plus, the closer to where I live the better, but you can't be close to everyone. Parking can be an issue. I need to easily find a space. There's a cigar bar the massholes sometimes go to and when they have a vendor event there is nowhere to park. It's in a small strip mall with a small parking lot and several other businesses.

barbourjay
12-04-2008, 03:03 PM
great ideas guys. most of what you said is what i would like in a place also. i just hope it lives up to my expectations if all goes to plan. i need to draw up a business plan and you guys are doing a great job at making up a list.

wifi will be on the list of course, along with entertainment (tv and darts, maybe golden tee, don't want it too noisy).
beer and wine will be sold on site, i'll carry more than a few on draft. water and sodas (including specialty sodas) will also be there.
lockers and members will have a small fee but nothing too out of the ordinary. i want a high traffic high volume place but want to keep the enviroment relaxed and not uppity at the same time.
there will be a patio and plenty of parking. this is part of the location selection. luckily i have the whole tampa bay area to find a spot.
hours will probably be 11-9. maybe later on weekends (friday-saturday).

please keep the suggestions coming. this will be a work in progress and who knows if it will happen but i really do and so does she.

SonsofClubDeck
12-04-2008, 03:04 PM
leather recliners and firm feeling women that would actually date me.

md4958
12-04-2008, 03:07 PM
great ideas guys. most of what you said is what i would like in a place also. i just hope it lives up to my expectations if all goes to plan. i need to draw up a business plan and you guys are doing a great job at making up a list.

wifi will be on the list of course, along with entertainment (tv and darts, maybe golden tee, don't want it too noisy).
beer and wine will be sold on site, i'll carry more than a few on draft. water and sodas (including specialty sodas) will also be there.
lockers and members will have a small fee but nothing too out of the ordinary. i want a high traffic high volume place but want to keep the enviroment relaxed and not uppity at the same time.
there will be a patio and plenty of parking. this is part of the location selection. luckily i have the whole tampa bay area to find a spot.
hours will probably be 11-9. maybe later on weekends (friday-saturday).

please keep the suggestions coming. this will be a work in progress and who knows if it will happen but i really do and so does she.

My best friend lives in Plant City, so when I go down to visit him, I will definatley be one of your customers!!

Bubba - NJ
12-04-2008, 03:08 PM
The only thing I would add to the B & M I frequent would be a TV . They have comfy seating and a friendly staff . They also hold events regularly , don't mind if you smoke your own and usually every friday night it's kind of like a party there . Good friendly place to smoke .

DrDubzz
12-04-2008, 03:08 PM
if/when is does happen, I'm hoppin on a place to tampa!

my locals are good, but a bit... outdated as far as creature comforts go. a place where you can smoke confortably, especially with the game on, and wifi should be a hit. don't forget to carry a little but of pipe stuff. some of us like to shop twice in one stop :D

barbourjay
12-04-2008, 03:21 PM
if/when is does happen, I'm hoppin on a place to tampa!

my locals are good, but a bit... outdated as far as creature comforts go. a place where you can smoke confortably, especially with the game on, and wifi should be a hit. don't forget to carry a little but of pipe stuff. some of us like to shop twice in one stop :D

i thought about pipes but honestly i don't have the first damn clue about them. it's always something i could add later on.

DrDubzz
12-04-2008, 03:24 PM
i thought about pipes but honestly i don't have the first damn clue about them. it's always something i could add later on.

yeah, I'd keep it in mind, you can be fully successful without, but I think it could broaden the appeal.

gettysburgfreak
12-04-2008, 03:56 PM
A secluded lounge is pretty cool. A BM I used to visit you walk in the door and he had the humidors on the right and on the left was a bar area with a few barstools. Humidors and accessories were in the middle of the two. You continue to walk straight and behind some doors was the lounge area. It was raised higher than the other area of the shop and included monster ass tv, leather couches and chairs, decorated with cigar art, coffee table with cigar reading material, lighters, ashtrays. Needless to say it was a nice, quiet relaxing place to enjoy cigars and conversation.

Cigarcop
12-04-2008, 04:11 PM
How about a web page, online ordering, while having the store do just great would be awesome, the internet reaches out to alot of folks....like everyone here. Thats some huge clientele. :ss

MTB996
12-04-2008, 04:22 PM
leather recliners and firm feeling women that would actually date me.

Heck, if they could date you, what's the point. I want crazy hot chicks that are way out of my league, but "friendly" for the tip.

Seriously, the biggest draws to a cigar shop for me are:
1. proximity to home or work - gotta be convenient to go there.
2. staff shouldn't be a-holes.
3. comfy place with decent ventilation to relax and actually enjoy a cigar - that's the whole point.
4. staff shouldn't be a-holes
5. something to drink or eat either available in the store or next door (nothing wrong with grabbing a happy meal and heading into the smoke shop)
6. decent selection of smokes, but not that important if I can bring my own
7. did I mention the staff shouldn't be a-holes.

DrDubzz
12-04-2008, 04:24 PM
oooh you could give out minutos as the "toy" for the happy meal!

barbourjay
12-04-2008, 05:17 PM
How about a web page, online ordering, while having the store do just great would be awesome, the internet reaches out to alot of folks....like everyone here. Thats some huge clientele. :ss

in order for me to be as large as i want too i would do online and over the phone orders.

md4958
12-04-2008, 06:21 PM
in addition to MTB's sugggestion about the staff not being a-holes

how about the staff actually knows something about cigars??? Its pretty sad when a noob like me is educating the guy behind the counter

DrDubzz
12-04-2008, 06:30 PM
in addition to MTB's sugggestion about the staff not being a-holes

how about the staff actually knows something about cigars??? Its pretty sad when a noob like me is educating the guy behind the counter

make them all pass a test on the difference between MOLD and plume

mikeandshellie2
12-04-2008, 06:33 PM
Cleaniness is my big thing, selection,as others have said place to sit and enjoy my cigar,alcohol is a plus. Internet service is a nice add-on. Great people and knowledge is most definately a key. Making sure the humidor is properly maintaining the cigars(but I think thats a given). Some of the guys have said they can order food from a place close, so location .. Hope this helps.
Shellie

dunng
12-04-2008, 06:34 PM
make them all pass a test on the difference between MOLD and plume

Show them the pictures at vitolas.net ... As well as the beetle pics! :ss

Bubba - NJ
12-04-2008, 07:59 PM
The only thing I would add to the B & M I frequent would be a TV . They have comfy seating and a friendly staff . They also hold events regularly , don't mind if you smoke your own and usually every friday night it's kind of like a party there . Good friendly place to smoke .

I forgot to add that I never got yelled at for moving any of the chairs around there either !

neoflex
12-04-2008, 08:28 PM
Must have a decent selection of smokes and the staff must be friendly and accommodating. For example, there is a B&M close to work that has a fantastic selection, but the guy who runs the store is a real douche and has the personality of a wet towel. I hate to buy anything from them but they tend to get in some not so common things from time to time so I do pop in every once in awhile as much as it pains me. A perfect example of how much of a A-Hole this guy is the other day I popped in to see if they had Anejos. Sure enough they did but were sold out of Sharks. So when I asked if he knew if their other store had them in stock his answer was, " I dunno, why don't you call and ask?" Hmmm, would have been nice if he called for me but why would a douche of his caliber do such a thing?:rolleyes: Anyway I grabbed a few sticks since they had no limits and went on my way thinking the same thing I always do when I walk out, "Why do I keep coming back?" I loved my old local back on Long Island. They had an awesome selection, a great lounge and the owner and other regulars could not be any friendlier.

brigey57
12-04-2008, 09:51 PM

if you were looking at becoming a member at a cigar shop or just someone who frequents one locally, what is the most important factor to you? or what do you look for in a shop?

The most important thing to me is a knowledgeable staff that is willing to take the time to help you when you are looking for something special. I want the sales person yo be able to help me with a with a good answer not just shoot from their hip and not know what they are talking about.

I do look to make sure they know what to do to keep the cigars well preserved. I hate it when I walk into a humidor and the cigars look dried out or wet. That's nuts.

Sorry if I was rnting but I hate it when the hired help don't even have a clue. :eek: :gl

csbrewfisher
12-05-2008, 08:27 PM
I am definitely stopping in there on my next annual pilgrimage to the Springs

Oh, and for the shop. Hours are important. Both my locals close at 6, which means no evening smoking. Being open to 7 or 8 would be nice (they open at 730 but I don't/can't smoke in the morning)

You had better call me before you come so we cam have a smoke together! PM me for my number.

Waynegro1
12-05-2008, 08:56 PM
I have to agree with many of you so far.
For me:
1. Selection (a wide variety and able to get those "hard to get" stogies) I can look over a lot issues with a shop but without selection, what's the point.

2. Friendly, knowledgeable staff that listen's to what your saying and tries to steer you in the right direction (towards your taste's not towards what cigar is the most expensive, to make a high $ sale).

3. A lounge or smoking area of some kind that makes you feel comfortable and not cramped or in the way. (a tv as someone mentioned is a big plus). My B&M always has coffee and soft drinks. The "regulars" take turns bringing in pastries, coffee cake etc.

4. A decent selection of accessories (e.g. butane, lighters, cutters/punches, humidors, travel cases etc.)

5. Hygrometers that are displayed in some manner throughout the humidor. I like to know what temp/R.H. they store their sticks.

6. Stogies prices somewhere around MSRP. I will walk out of a B&M as soon as I get the feeling that I'm being gouged. This is one of my pet peeves. If a company doesn't have a problem charging me $15+ over MSRP, what else don't they have a problem with?

That's about all I can think of. Great topic!!