PDA

View Full Version : Life has been hellish lately

Beagleone
04-22-2012, 09:29 PM
Been out of the loop recently due to several factors. Right now I am on a team working on a RFP for my organization from our major funding source. It is a lot like herding cats at times, but when you have 7 people writing different things for the same project.

Then the other shoe dropped.

My father-in-law was riding his tractor motor when a 6" thick tree limb fell on top of him of Saturday. He was taken not to the regional hospital, but the largest one in Houston for medical care. It was that severe of a head trauma; he has a fractured frontal skull, subdural hematoma and multiple facial fractures, and swelling on his spinal cord. I got the call before my wife and had to break the news to her, which set of a chain of events that led her to drive down on a few hours of notice. Wasn't idea, but she needed to be there. I wanted to go, but we had guest with us this weekend and I had a lot of work to do today.

My FIL is being seen by the same neuroscience team that took care former Congresswoman Gabby Gilford, so he is in good hands. He had surgery today due to the swelling on his spinal cord. They had to induce him into a coma because he was fighting with the medical staff. We'll know more tomorrow, but so far he seems to be on a long road to recovery.

I've already told my boss that if things get worse, I will have to go down there, but my wife understands why I need to stick around here for now. I am talking to her quite often during the day and evening, mostly to make sure she is okay, but also to get progress reports on my FIL's prognosis.

I'll let y'all know how things turn out (hopefully for the better, and sooner too), but I am realistic that his recovery will be a long time. I also foresee a certain tree getting a much needed trim really soon.

Ogre
04-22-2012, 09:33 PM
Prayers sent brother, for everyone.

pnoon
04-22-2012, 09:33 PM
Sorry to hear, Brother.
I will keep all of you in my prayers.
Hang in there.

Texan in Mexico
04-22-2012, 09:40 PM
Thoughts and prayers headed your way. Just keep in mind that if he is in Houston he is getting some of the best in the world.

icehog3
04-22-2012, 11:44 PM
Your FIL and all your family are in my prayers, Tony.

Don Fernando
04-23-2012, 01:21 AM
my thoughts are with you and your family Tony.

Skywalker
04-23-2012, 07:35 AM
Sorry to hear!

Prayers sent for your father in law, family, and work!

CigarNut
04-23-2012, 07:56 AM
Thoughts and prayers for your FIL and family

yourchoice
04-23-2012, 08:05 AM
I will keep your Father-in-Law, wife and entire family in my prayers, Tony.

markem
04-23-2012, 08:15 AM
Thoughts and prayers online for your FIL and the entire family, Tony.

aich75013
04-23-2012, 08:17 AM
Sorry to hear that Tony.
Thoughts and prayers for your family.

Blak Smyth
04-23-2012, 08:30 AM
Warm wishes brother.

massphatness
04-23-2012, 08:55 AM
Stay strong for the family, Tony - you are most definitely in my thoughts.

Dave128
04-23-2012, 09:05 AM
Thoughts and prayers sent for your FIL to have a speady recovery.

Madman31
04-23-2012, 03:24 PM
Sorry to hear. My prayers go out for your FIL.

kelmac07
04-23-2012, 03:54 PM
Thoughts and prayers sent.

galaga
04-23-2012, 03:59 PM
Prayers sent. Hang in there.

hotreds
04-23-2012, 04:03 PM
When it rains it pours sometimes. All the best to you and yours! May God envelop you all in His love and healing embrace!

EricF
04-23-2012, 04:10 PM
Thoughts and prayers sent for a speedy recovery!

CRIMPS
04-23-2012, 06:18 PM
Sorry to hear about your father in law, Tony. Thought and prayers go out to you and your family.

Zach

Beagleone
04-26-2012, 10:14 AM
Just to give you guys an update, I finally came up for some air. My FIL is doing better, but this is just the beginning to a long road of recovery. he is off the ventilator and is responsive and alert. He doesn't remember the accident or being in the hospital, but he knows what day it is an who is around him. That is good, however, he can't swallow anything, so the doctors had to put a line in for him to get any nourishment. He definitely does not have any fine motor control and that will have to be addressed in the rehabilitation hospital. He will also require a motorize wheelchair or scooter to move around. When the doctors' told that to my wife, she broke down completely. I am not sure if she thought he would bounce back next week and be back to the same old self, but it really hit home with her. Regardless, I had already starting thinking long term for him and their home in Houston. It is definitely not set up for a wheelchair or anything. I have started a mental inventory of things that will need to be done: ramps for the front and back doors, plus to the dining area; rails in bathroom; moving the beds and furniture to accommodate him; rigging out their SUV for the wheelchair; and other small things like that. I may have to spend a few weekend there fixing up the place. I will likely drag my father and cousin down to get the house fixed up, but I need to know from the doctors what the timeline is going to be. It isn't my desirable way to spend my vacation time, but it has to be done and it makes my wife happier to know that I am considering the things she hasn't thought of.

The good news for me is that I don't have to come in to work this weekend. I get to edit the RFP while smoking at my B&M until my wife returns from Houston. At least the house is still standing in one piece. I could use a house elf to clean it up a bit though.

pnoon
04-26-2012, 10:25 AM
Hang in there, Tony.
Continued prayers for you and your family.
Posted via Mobile Device

markem
04-26-2012, 10:29 AM
Wish I were down there to help out, Tony. Thoughts and prayers still there for everyone.