PDA

View Full Version : I need some serious motivation.....

Dave128
04-20-2012, 12:50 PM
Hi. My name is Dave and I'm morbidly obese. I'm a generally happy guy with a great wife. I have a great job. I live in a nice house in a great neighborhood. I have a family and friends that don't judge me. I wear a size 3x shirt that can sometimes feel snug. I can't shop at normal stores because most of them only have sizes that go up to 1x or 2x. I'm really sick of walking past people that I don't know and they stare at me for the huge beast that I am. It is really starting to bother me.

The scoop:

I weigh 295 lbs. (I know, holy crap! :su) and I'm a diabetic because of it. If I lose weight, the docs say that I have a great chance of getting rid of the diabetis. I have a basement room that currently houses a BowFlex, an eliptical, a treadmill and a bike. The room has a window for light, a fan, a tv and a radio.

I admit that I have a huge weight problem that I need to address before it kills me. The problem is that I have no motivation to use the equipment. I have zero excuses for not going down into the basement for a nice workout every day. I was working out every day until about a year or so ago and I just stopped. I really don't know why. Especially since I was seeing some nice results. I got myself down to about 270 and I felt great. I am in no way considering any type of surgery at this time.

Anybody have any advice on how to get me re-motivated?

jledou
04-20-2012, 12:57 PM
Make yourself a no work no play deal ... you don't workout, you can't have a cigar ... Want a cigar? Better go get some time in.

You can also try setting a time and "appointment" on your phone.

I am by no means a little guys and struggle with keeping myself committed to going down to the basement where my treadmill and elliptical are, so best of luck Dave.

ArgusP2
04-20-2012, 01:22 PM
Dave, to let you know, I was tipping the scales at 395lbs before I told myself enough is enough! After 3 years, I am still tipping the scale but it is not screaming as loud (currently just below where you are at - 285lbs).
The main thing is making the decision to lose weight. All the "You must lose weight or die" from doctors, family and friends do not mean anything until YOU decide you want to lose weight. Once that decision is made one thing to remember: you did not put on all that weight overnight so do not think you will get rid of it overnight.

PM sent

icehog3
04-20-2012, 01:28 PM
I would advise you to try to find time to work out outside the home...at least 40 minutes 3-4 times a week to start. Too many distractions at home to stay focused long term, Dave. I know it is tough when you have family obligations, etc, but you want to be around for a long time. I wish you the best, and will help if I can.

Dave128
04-20-2012, 02:39 PM
Dave, to let you know, I was tipping the scales at 395lbs before I told myself enough is enough! After 3 years, I am still tipping the scale but it is not screaming as loud (currently just below where you are at - 285lbs).
The main thing is making the decision to lose weight. All the "You must lose weight or die" from doctors, family and friends do not mean anything until YOU decide you want to lose weight. Once that decision is made one thing to remember: you did not put on all that weight overnight so do not think you will get rid of it overnight.

PM sent

Thank you.

Dave128
04-20-2012, 02:40 PM
I would advise you to try to find time to work out outside the home...at least 40 minutes 3-4 times a week to start. Too many distractions at home to stay focused long term, Dave. I know it is tough when you have family obligations, etc, but you want to be around for a long time. I wish you the best, and will help if I can.

Thank you.

MajorCaptSilly
04-20-2012, 02:52 PM
It's hard for me to engage in exercise just for the sake of exercising. I love to do sporting activities like basketball but getting on a treadmill/bike is hard for me. I started getting to where I didn't recognize my fat face in pictures, so i started forcing myself to hit the treadmill this winter. I've been slowly but steadily losing weight since I started exercise. I have also been counting calories fairly religiously.

I think Tom is right about getting out of the house to exercise. It gets you more motivated when others around you are doing the same thing. I'm lucky in that my wife is very active and we walk 3 miles every nice day we can and do longer hikes at the state park. We are also doing some medicine ball exercises that really help with the abs.

You have to really want to lose the weight. I'm not a big fan of killing yourself for quick weight loss. Change some eating habits and get active. You would be surprised at the results you will get just going from sedentary to walking 30 min a day. I like to try to drop 1lb per week and have hit that goal on most weeks. The feeling you get from living a more healty lifestyle is totally worth your effort.

MCS

emopunker2004
04-20-2012, 02:55 PM
Have you tried to just start walking around the neighborhood to start with? I find that I enjoy walking outside more than I do on a treadmill because its a change of scenery, I tend to enjoy it more. I know it isn't much but any exercise is good exercise and it's a start. I'm not in the same boat as you but I do need to lose weight as well. I'd like to lose 40lbs. I just recently started doing the 14 flights of stairs at work a couple times a day on a daily basis. I find it hard to motivate myself to exercise but I find out that when I do, i feel much better after.

Dave128
04-20-2012, 07:19 PM
Thanks, guys. All of the advice has been great. Bottom line is that it has to be me that wants to change.

hotreds
04-20-2012, 07:27 PM
I know how you feel! I'm trying to loose also- I've gone from a high of about 350 to 310 now. Not a lot in a year, and I need to do more more quickly, but a journey begins with one step. I wish you all the luck in the world, PM me anytime and I will help you in any way I can!

Coach Deg
04-20-2012, 07:52 PM
Dave, Like you have said it is up to you!!!! I was 274 in Nov. I kept telling my wonderful wife who could not care what I weigh, that I have to do something. I started watching what I eat a little better. Then I walked my 2yr old to the playground about 1/4 mile from house( I always drove). And I was like this is great. We started going everyday. Then I started taking the long way and added other exercise because I was feeling better. I am now 234. And everyday I don't feel like doing anything, I get outside. Like Tom and Justin said get out. Its more enjoyable and its eaiser to eat or get distracted at home.

Good-Luck and we are all here for you!

kaisersozei
04-21-2012, 07:34 AM
A big help for me has always been goal-setting.

"I want to lose x pounds"
"I want to do y pushups"
"I will workout 5 days this week"
"I need my a1c to be under 9"
"I will eat 3 servings of vegetables per day"
"I will go 2 weeks without alcohol"

Set moderate, achievable goals to start. Mark your progress. Feel good about the small achievements.

Hold yourself accountable by doing what some other BOTLs here have done--post a thread to chart your progress. We'll keep you motivated and hold you accountable too!

Take a picture of yourself in your underwear. Workout for 30 days and then take another picture. Compare the results. Keep going!

Make working out a routine.

Good luck!

OLS
04-21-2012, 08:18 AM
I can tell you one thing I know...workout equipment is fine, but there is no substitute for reduction of calories.
You can try BURNING them all you want, but it's the ones that go IN that are keeping you fat. You must
switch to water ONLY, no sports drinks, no sweet tea, no soft drinks, milk as a reward. You must eat the worst
possible foods, and only keep that stuff on hand. If you can't GIVE your fridge contents away, THROW it away.
Stop eating bread, stop eating much meat. Eat homemade soup for a treat, cereal for breakfast, a bowl of grits
for lunch, oatmeal and some fruit or fish for supper, salads with oil and vinegar dressing only. Mix in some herbs
and garlic for flavor.

People complain all the time about being fat and wanting to NOT be fat. But they keep right on doing the things
they always did, as if finally wanting to be thin is gonna miracle the weight off them. The Biggest Loser is not
popular because it's fun to look at fat people. It's popular because it's amazing to see the kind of commitment
it takes to get thin.

I am struggling for the first time with real weight on my frame. I have never been thin or even fit-looking. But
for the first time ever, laying off something here and something there ain't getting it. I am struggling. These
are the things I learned, but will power is the only way to succeed. In order to quit smoking cigs, which
were killing me, I had to give up three other things...weed, bars and sex. I can have sex again if I want, but I am
too fat for anyone to care. But that shows how you can turn over one rock and just find three more rocks.

Make no mistake, that workout gear is important. It lets you work out without people watching. But you can
work out 24 hours a day and not lose weight, just die. Sit ups are not going to make your belly thin. There will
be a time when they are important, but for now you are in a walk, don't run mode. There was a big fat dude and
a big fat kid "running" down my sidewalk the other day. They stopped and talked to me, and told me they had
decided that being fat just was unacceptable, so they were going to run. I told them, "No, you are just going to
blow both your knees. You have to walk for a year before you start running, you are obese." You aren't going to
be thin tomorrow. You are going to be doing this for years. I was going for a job interview while I was visiting my
mother, and she said that my teeth were dingy, that I should go and get some whitening strips while I was visiting
her. I went into the store and saw they were 50 bucks. I wasn't going to spend that kind of money as funds for
my trip were not limitless. I told her that the stuff doesn't work overnight, why buy it for tomorrow??

The muscles you need to work on now are your brain and your jaw muscles. Start working one and resting the others.
Good luck, I need it too. -- OOPS -- one more thing about the walking. I walk between 1 and 5 miles a day now.
Throughout my life after I got a car at 21, I had been a biker, pedalled everywhere, sometimes 50-60 miles a week.
I had to, I had no car. I could carry 2 PAPER bags of groceries up & down 3-4 hills with no hands (2-3 miles) and STOP
at the house with no hands and not wipe out. Then I got a car and I never looked back. I went from sexy-love-
machine to fat slob. I enjoy walking. There are a few hot girls out, nature is bad-a55, I feel of accomplishment,
and it actually makes you want to do it. You will see. You will not dread walking. IT IS the key to the whole plan.

OLS
04-21-2012, 08:37 AM
Also remember, if you do this right, you are going to be hungry for a year or more. It's not going to be fun.
And at the end, you will likely want to 'reward' yourself with food again. Be careful. That's how people go
right back to where they were and more. One thing you have that some don't, an asylum of friends that you
can talk to.

BigCat
04-21-2012, 08:37 AM
There is a lot of good advice here about what to do once you get motivated but that isn't what you asked for. As far as that goes, you have a nice life with a great wife and friends. It is going to end too early if you don't get a grip on your health. Look around. You dont see a lot of morbidly obese old people. Your diabetes is going to make your life more difficult as you get older. You could be a foot infection away from losing a limb due to circulation/slow healing issues. If you can rid yourself of diabetes by losing weight, you need to do it. I hope I don't come off like a prick. I had my own come to Jesus moment about 6 months ago when I saw how fat I looked in some pictures and stepped on the scale. Ive lost 35 pounds since then with diet and exercise and I feel dramatically better. 15 more to go and I'm looking forward to it. Good luck to you.

Whee
04-21-2012, 09:39 AM
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

This i the site I use to help. Lots of good info and I use it as a food diary, exercise diary and weight loss tracker. And us te app for my Droid.

Keeping a food journal was a big help for me. I was taking in 4000 to 5000 calories on average daily with little to no exercise. I am now down to between 1500 and 2000 calories a day and I exercise about an hour a day, 5 or 6 days a week.

Dropped 25 pounds by shifting to eating serving sizes, and exercising an hour or so a day. I started with a 20 minute walk around the block.

I also enlisted the help of three "motivators" here on the asylum. I sent them a weekly update for about three months with all the good and the bad. Sometimes a "Good Job" is all you need.

I still fall off the wagon now and then, but feel better than ever.

Good Luck!!:tu

maninblack
04-21-2012, 09:45 AM
I think what got me motivated was seeing my dad go thru his triple bypass last August. He was only around 250 but he never really ate healthy. He's down to 230 now and so am I. I lost 15 pounds and wanna lose more. I don't want my kids seeing me go thru what I saw my old man go thru. I wanna be around for them when I'm older. Best of luck Dave and we're here for you brother. I got an elliptical machine that has worked wonders.

OLS
04-21-2012, 10:54 AM
Look around. You dont see a lot of morbidly obese old people. .

Never thought about it like that. Dang.

Cat is right in that it's all up to you. That sounds like a cliche', but the expression "quitting smoking is easy,
I've done it a hundred times" is so very true. My family asked me, begged me to stop. We all saw my dad
die of cancer after smoking most of his adult life. To them, that was all the motivation I should ever need.
But until I was wheezing going up stairs, and couldn't catch my breath at all when I was sick with the flu or
whatever, I never realized that emphysema was finally here. I had been arranging a date with it my whole life,
but finally the car had been brought around.

For once, it was MY IDEA. Giving up a nice bong hit now and again was TOUGH, but no sooner did I put down
the bong, I wanted a cigarette. So that had to go too. So again, Cat is telling the truth. It begins when you
finally realize your mortality and you give a crap about it to the degree where no sacrifice is too big for your
well being.

As far as your original question that Cat pointed out rightly no one really answered, you need the
fullest size mirror you can buy, several really, and put them where you can't avoid seeing yourself. My bathroom
mirror, the only mirror in the house, only shows my head, barely my shoulders. When I was dressing after a shower
in a motel last year, I almost barfed. What you see straight on is nothing like what you see when you look down,
and it affects the brain. You need to see your full self, floor to ceiling, head to toe. That can be a good motivator.

IlmProcess
04-21-2012, 11:01 AM
I think taking a look at photos of you when you were thinner is a great way to motivate yourself. Also, taking photos as you lose weight and comparing them to your current size is also a confidence booster.

To say what has already been said: diet is in the kitchen. If you cut down your calorie intake you will have to work much less hard. I used to work out: I'm a thin frame and wanted to put some muscle on my body. I did with a bulk diet and added a good chunk of fat on as well. To cut, I cut my calories and did some light workout routines and cut most of the fat pretty quickly. Other friends tried to workout harder but didn't cut calories and weren't successful.

ECJ
04-21-2012, 11:54 AM
Check out http://www.sparkpeople.com. There are some really great tools over there that can help you reach the healthy lifestyle that you are looking for. The community is great and very supportive. I lost 40 lbs with the help and support of their 4 step plan. It is not an intensive crash diet, but a lot of small steps to reach your big goal. You didn't get where you are overnight. It is going to require a lot of patience. If you start the plan don't look back until about 6 months in and I think you may be pleasantly surprised. Then quickly turn around and head forward again.

Ed

shilala
04-21-2012, 01:11 PM
This is all good info. We put excess weight on because we take in more calories than we need. We also live sedentary lives, and the food we eat is packed with way more useless "bad" nutrition we don't need.
Point being, I can exercise myself into a heart attack, but if I don't change the way and amount I eat, the exercise will just make me hungrier and I compensate by eating an extra cake or two.
The EASIEST thing we can do is drink water. Drink 16 ounces before eating anything. Drink water all day long, bordering on a couple gallons, but at least a gallon. That one simple thing requires absolutely no exercise and it'll shed pounds immediately and dramatically.
Once weight starts coming off, it's its own motivator. We start looking for other things we can do. Simple things like eating cereal from a smaller bowl. Having a salad instead of 3 different appetizers when we go out to eat.
Another big one is "stop eating when I'm full". If there are three spoonfuls left in the bowl, it is no longer my job to empty it. If I have half a steak on my plate and I'm full, I put it in the fridge and eat it later (or someone else does).
There are so many simple things we can do that don't require jumping up, buying a gym membership, forcing ourselves to exercise when we hate it, or eating tofu.
It's a progression.
It took me a lot of years to develop habits that caused me to be extremely overweight. I chiseled away at those things on step at a time and took time to make them habit.
For instance, I NEVER drank water. I hated it. It took a month or two to make that change, accept it, and learn to love it.
Then I took another step.
It's taken a couple years to lose 60 pounds and keep it off and stay at a reasonable, healthy weight. I continue to work at finding a balance that I'm happy with. The difference is that now, I'm not afraid to make a change and I don't fight with it. I truly welcome it and enjoy it. It's just as much fun seeking out something healthy to eat as it was eating two boxes of Little Debbie Swiss Rolls a day. :)
Be patient, my friend. And go find a great big water bottle you can make your best friend. Mine is sitting right in front of me. :tu

Dave128
04-21-2012, 10:03 PM
You guys are all awesome. Thank you for sharing what works for you. I'm going to have to digest all of this and find someplace to start my journey.

Stevez
04-22-2012, 06:22 AM
Good luck Dave and thanks to all who have replied with suggestions. I too need to desperately lose weight and I go through periods of great motivation and back to slipping for a period of time. These threads help motivate me too and keep us posted Dave. Don't hesitate to PM me if you want a motivational "buddy"! Thanks. Steve

emopunker2004
04-22-2012, 07:48 AM
working on giving up soda :tu
I usually have at LEAST 2 20oz bottles of coke a shift at work. Last night I only had one but also drank 80oz of water while at work :tu

If you're a soda drinker, stopping will help alot. Just think. Each 20oz bottle of Coke is 240 calories! That's insane!

hammondc
04-22-2012, 09:04 AM
All good advice. Especially the food intake advice. You need a lifestyle change, not a diet. My wife and I committed to that about 7 years ago. No fast food, no soda, no sweets in the house.

Col. Kurtz
04-22-2012, 03:33 PM
I can tell you one thing I know...workout equipment is fine, but there is no substitute for reduction of calories.
You can try BURNING them all you want, but it's the ones that go IN that are keeping you fat. You must
switch to water ONLY, no sports drinks, no sweet tea, no soft drinks, milk as a reward. You must eat the worst
possible foods, and only keep that stuff on hand. If you can't GIVE your fridge contents away, THROW it away.
Stop eating bread, stop eating much meat. Eat homemade soup for a treat, cereal for breakfast, a bowl of grits
for lunch, oatmeal and some fruit or fish for supper, salads with oil and vinegar dressing only. Mix in some herbs
and garlic for flavor.

People complain all the time about being fat and wanting to NOT be fat. But they keep right on doing the things
they always did, as if finally wanting to be thin is gonna miracle the weight off them. The Biggest Loser is not
popular because it's fun to look at fat people. It's popular because it's amazing to see the kind of commitment
it takes to get thin.

I am struggling for the first time with real weight on my frame. I have never been thin or even fit-looking. But
for the first time ever, laying off something here and something there ain't getting it. I am struggling. These
are the things I learned, but will power is the only way to succeed. In order to quit smoking cigs, which
were killing me, I had to give up three other things...weed, bars and sex. I can have sex again if I want, but I am
too fat for anyone to care. But that shows how you can turn over one rock and just find three more rocks.

Make no mistake, that workout gear is important. It lets you work out without people watching. But you can
work out 24 hours a day and not lose weight, just die. Sit ups are not going to make your belly thin. There will
be a time when they are important, but for now you are in a walk, don't run mode. There was a big fat dude and
a big fat kid "running" down my sidewalk the other day. They stopped and talked to me, and told me they had
decided that being fat just was unacceptable, so they were going to run. I told them, "No, you are just going to
blow both your knees. You have to walk for a year before you start running, you are obese." You aren't going to
be thin tomorrow. You are going to be doing this for years. I was going for a job interview while I was visiting my
mother, and she said that my teeth were dingy, that I should go and get some whitening strips while I was visiting
her. I went into the store and saw they were 50 bucks. I wasn't going to spend that kind of money as funds for
my trip were not limitless. I told her that the stuff doesn't work overnight, why buy it for tomorrow??

The muscles you need to work on now are your brain and your jaw muscles. Start working one and resting the others.
Good luck, I need it too. -- OOPS -- one more thing about the walking. I walk between 1 and 5 miles a day now.
Throughout my life after I got a car at 21, I had been a biker, pedalled everywhere, sometimes 50-60 miles a week.
I had to, I had no car. I could carry 2 PAPER bags of groceries up & down 3-4 hills with no hands (2-3 miles) and STOP
at the house with no hands and not wipe out. Then I got a car and I never looked back. I went from sexy-love-
machine to fat slob. I enjoy walking. There are a few hot girls out, nature is bad-a55, I feel of accomplishment,
and it actually makes you want to do it. You will see. You will not dread walking. IT IS the key to the whole plan.

Lots of cold hard, sterile, metallic, win no friends truth here ^.

I changed my habits about 1.5 years ago.

Dropped sweet sodas (still have a diet once in a while), started packing my lunch everyday instead of swinging by the dollar menu drive thru, and started watching calories very closely. It's amazing what foods "cost". The wife and I have tried very hard to control portions and consider if it's really "worth it" to have that doughnut. Would a snack pack of raisins be better? We eat quite a bit of fresh foods and veggies. Gave up beer almost completely (that hurt:r). Reduced meats a lot and tried to stay close to a 2-2500 calorie diet.

No real secrets except keeping a close eye on a dietary budget. Started a self prescribed workout routine that is mostly cardio (like they taught me back in middle school gym) 2- 3 times per week. Started push mowing the front acre that the neighbors can see, still ride the back though.

The result? Near 235 Thankgiving 2010. Now I'm at 155 depending on the day. I started feeling much much better about 180. Dropped from pushing out 38 pants to being comfortable in 32's. Very good feeling except for the new clothes bills.

Bottom line is this. There is no magic bullet. Eat less than you use and you will lose weight.

Here's a kick in the pants and positive thoughts and encouragement sent your way. It can be done. Is it easy? Nope. Is it worth it. Absolutely. I have the energy to chase the kids around the yard without passing out. :tu

Madman31
04-23-2012, 03:22 PM
Start small. Hang up pics of the body you want. Lift weights to gain muscle. The endorphins you get will keep you going. That's what worked for me!

Dave128
04-23-2012, 06:33 PM
Start small. Hang up pics of the body you want. Lift weights to gain muscle. The endorphins you get will keep you going. That's what worked for me!

Thank you. I can do small and simple! It's about all my brain can handle!

kelmac07
04-23-2012, 06:53 PM
Watch all the Mets games you can...this will make you furious and make you want to work out...pent up frustration and all. :r :r :r Best of luck Dave.

Dave128
04-24-2012, 07:55 AM
Watch all the Mets games you can...this will make you furious and make you want to work out...pent up frustration and all. :r :r :r Best of luck Dave.

:tu :r

ashtonlady
04-24-2012, 11:27 AM
I started my life style change this week. What I leaned yesterday was there is a learing curve. Dont quit because the first day doesnt work the way you though it should. Change it so it works better and as said before start small and add as you go. Find support that will help not tell you what you are doing wrong. You already know it is wrong, sometimes you just need to talk about it to see a diffrent direction to take it.

PCR
04-24-2012, 11:41 AM
Please google Scott Cutshall or large fella on a bike. Scott was over 500 pounds and discovered cycling it changed his life. You can do it!

Dave128
04-24-2012, 01:08 PM
I started my life style change this week. What I leaned yesterday was there is a learing curve. Dont quit because the first day doesnt work the way you though it should. Change it so it works better and as said before start small and add as you go. Find support that will help not tell you what you are doing wrong. You already know it is wrong, sometimes you just need to talk about it to see a diffrent direction to take it.

Thank you. I have a feeling it's going to be along road. One step at a time.

Dave128
04-24-2012, 01:09 PM
Please google Scott Cutshall or large fella on a bike. Scott was over 500 pounds and discovered cycling it changed his life. You can do it!

Thank you for the info. Funny thing is I pulled my bike out of the shed this past weekend and am going to bring it to be tuned up.

PCR
04-24-2012, 01:12 PM
Thank you for the info. Funny thing is I pulled my bike out of the shed this past weekend and am going to bring it to be tuned up.

Good for you! Cycling is an amazing way to better health. Wishing you all the best.

mmblz
04-24-2012, 01:17 PM
watch "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead"
it's on Netflix streaming.
I'm not overweight but I've started drinking a green smoothie in the morning, and consider trying a stretch of time with only green smoothies...

SteelCityBoy
04-24-2012, 01:19 PM
For what it is worth IMO I would suggest you try to find something you like to do. That can be going for a walk outside on a beautiful nature road, or hitting the gym. For everyone it is different. I for example can't stand to run...just don't like it! I would try and try to commit to running 5 miles a day at least 3 times a week and it just wouldn't stick for me. I found mountain biking to be very peaceful and a "fun" way for me to exercise. I am not a super fit guy or anything but I can tell you how amazing it is to me to watch the pounds fall off when you can get into something active that you really enjoy.

I wish you well in your goals. The important thing is to set a goal and a rountine that you like and then do all you can in your power to stick with it. Everyone else already had some great ideas shown so I am sure that with the right routine you put yourself in you will get to where you want to be!

Good luck! :tu

emopunker2004
04-25-2012, 01:38 AM
Well i did the stairs 3 times today at work after doing them 2 times for 4 days. 264 steps up and then down, 3 times of that = 792 steps. I feel like I'm gonna die.

Dave128
04-25-2012, 08:22 AM
For what it is worth IMO I would suggest you try to find something you like to do. That can be going for a walk outside on a beautiful nature road, or hitting the gym. For everyone it is different. I for example can't stand to run...just don't like it! I would try and try to commit to running 5 miles a day at least 3 times a week and it just wouldn't stick for me. I found mountain biking to be very peaceful and a "fun" way for me to exercise. I am not a super fit guy or anything but I can tell you how amazing it is to me to watch the pounds fall off when you can get into something active that you really enjoy.

I wish you well in your goals. The important thing is to set a goal and a rountine that you like and then do all you can in your power to stick with it. Everyone else already had some great ideas shown so I am sure that with the right routine you put yourself in you will get to where you want to be!

Good luck! :tu

There are a good number of places around me that I can walk or bike. it's the forcing myself off the couch that gets a bit hard for me. i just have to do it. I've been better this past week, so it's a start.

Dave128
04-25-2012, 08:23 AM
Well i did the stairs 3 times today at work after doing them 2 times for 4 days. 264 steps up and then down, 3 times of that = 792 steps. I feel like I'm gonna die.

I do five flights to get to my office and I feel like I have to lay down on the floor for 15 minutes to recover! I need some work!

emopunker2004
04-25-2012, 04:37 PM
I do five flights to get to my office and I feel like I have to lay down on the floor for 15 minutes to recover! I need some work!

Take the stairs everywhere you go, no elevators :tu

emopunker2004
04-26-2012, 06:06 AM
Hey check out myfitnesspal.com It's free and seems like a good way to hold yourself accountable. You plug in you height, weight, age, goal, etc and it gives you a guideline as far as calories, fat, carbs, and protein. Exercise counts to allow you more food. They also have a big food database so you can plug in the food and it fills out the nutrition info for you. And for smart phone users there's an app that even lets you can an item in using the UPC. Just thought I'd share this with ya bud :tu

Steve
04-26-2012, 06:12 AM
working on giving up soda :tu
I usually have at LEAST 2 20oz bottles of coke a shift at work. Last night I only had one but also drank 80oz of water while at work :tu

If you're a soda drinker, stopping will help alot. Just think. Each 20oz bottle of Coke is 240 calories! That's insane!

Best thing I did was give up soda's. I droped almost 30 lbs after I stopped kicking back a 2 liter or so a day. My back thanks me every morning!

emopunker2004
04-26-2012, 06:32 AM
Best thing I did was give up soda's. I droped almost 30 lbs after I stopped kicking back a 2 liter or so a day. My back thanks me every morning!

That's roughly how much I was drinking between home and work. Right now I'm down to 1-20oz bottle a day. I'd estimate I was drinking 4x that much before. That's a reduction of 710 calories right there.

Dave128
04-26-2012, 03:49 PM
Hey check out myfitnesspal.com It's free and seems like a good way to hold yourself accountable. You plug in you height, weight, age, goal, etc and it gives you a guideline as far as calories, fat, carbs, and protein. Exercise counts to allow you more food. They also have a big food database so you can plug in the food and it fills out the nutrition info for you. And for smart phone users there's an app that even lets you can an item in using the UPC. Just thought I'd share this with ya bud :tu

Thanks. I just downloaded the app. Looks pretty cool.

Whee
04-26-2012, 06:10 PM
Thanks. I just downloaded the app. Looks pretty cool.

I am on there. illinoishoosier.

Dave128
05-01-2012, 07:56 AM
The power was out in my building this morning when I got to work. It forced me to take the stairs. I made it without much trouble. I think this was a good kick-start.

pektel
05-01-2012, 08:20 AM
Nice! I have a problem with motivation to exercise as well. I have a piece of notebook paper with a quote I scratched on it, taped to my bedroom door. All it says is:

"I really regret that workout."

-Said no one. Ever.

It made so much sense to me, and spoke to me, so it's the only extra push I need.

Dave128
05-01-2012, 09:25 AM
Very motivating quote. Thank you for that.

Remo
05-01-2012, 09:38 AM
and garlic for flavor.

it takes to get thin.

This is great advice Dave, limit your caloric intake (diet, if you will) smaller portions and less calories, it is really gonna suck for a week or two but your body will adjust. Once some weight starts to come off then start with some working out to really boost your metabolism and then pounds will really start to come off.

The real motivation is when your clothes start fitting a little looser and you look better in the mirror, then you start to feel better about yourself and it motivates you to keep going. Biggest thing for me was cutting out the beer and late night meals, I work odd hours so I was eating late at night and would have a few beers before bed...no more of that, I eat earlier and work out before bed...I have lost 20 lbs. since the first of the year, started at 230 lbs and trying to get back to 200 by June. Good luck on your quest :tu

saigon68
05-01-2012, 09:45 AM
Maybe you are a candidate for a belly band (not sure what it is called). Consult a physician versed in these matters. Good luck.

Dave128
05-01-2012, 09:47 AM
Thanks, but as my original post said, I'm in no way looking for a sugical procedure at this time.

Apoco
05-01-2012, 01:02 PM
The 2 bits of advice from me (this is for once you've decided you're ready to lose it):

1) Remove choice as much as possible. By this I mean - figure out something fairly low cal that you can stand for breakfast and lunch and only eat that. I have a zone bar for breakfast (180 calories) and the healthy choice option at work (usually some form of turkey and a veg for ~300-400 calories). That means that by dinner time I've only consumed ~600 calories. For me to maintain my current weight based on my activity level I'd need 1500 calories a day. As long as I stay reasonable for dinner, I have a net loss for calories that day.

2) Use a tool called "Don't break the chain". I can't remember what actor I heard talk about this - but it involves printing a calendar and checking off each time you meet your goal. The goal can be "Exercise at least 3 times a week" or "Eat under 1500 calories a day". Each day/week that you meet your goal - cross it out. For me it is always so easy to say "I'm just going to take today off" or "Ahhhh - I'm tired. Screw it." But having the knowledge/visualization that you have completed that goal every single day for 6 months will make you want to keep the chain going. I have a friend who keeps 3 "Don't Break the Chain"s going. He's losing weight (Walk at least 1.5 miles a day), learning another language (do 1 lesson on Rosetta Stone every day), and learning guitar (practice at least 30 minutes a day).
Posted via Mobile Device

Dave128
05-01-2012, 01:08 PM
Very nice. Thank you, Alex.

Blak Smyth
05-01-2012, 01:37 PM
Nice! I have a problem with motivation to exercise as well. I have a piece of notebook paper with a quote I scratched on it, taped to my bedroom door. All it says is:

-Said no one. Ever.

It made so much sense to me, and spoke to me, so it's the only extra push I need.

I like that one, might have to use it.
I also use "Pain is weakness leaving the body."
But if you are doing cardio "Sweat is weakness leaving the body" would work great as well.

Something that helps me is I used chalk paint and made a board in my basement that I can update with weight and rep info, always trying to improve upon my previous workout and also to make sure I mix things up. You would be surprised how much progress you are making if you look at all the numbers. I also have a chalk calendar to see and keep track of my workout routine.

I am really trying to get back on track, it really is hard to get a routine started again. Having a routine is critical in my opinion.

levrac68
05-01-2012, 01:44 PM
Take up an active outdoor hobby. I like photography and long walks with the wife, it keeps me on the move. When you have your cigar, take it for a walk and bring another one along for the walk home. ;) If you have no interest in those machines, don't feel bad, neither do I. I HATE working out and make up any excuse not to. For now, I'm 25lbs over my comfort zone, but I'd be a lot more if I didn't keep somewhat active. Just change a few small things at a time and you won't feel as if you're taking on the world. Good Luck

Blak Smyth
05-01-2012, 01:56 PM

-Said no one. Ever.

Peter I just thought of somebody who might have said that, did you ever see that video of a power lifter that blew his leg out? He might have said it. ;s

pektel
05-01-2012, 02:01 PM
Lol. Nope, but I suppose that could be one instance. Dammit, stop getting all technical! :r

emopunker2004
05-02-2012, 12:38 AM
Peter I just thought of somebody who might have said that, did you ever see that video of a power lifter that blew his leg out? He might have said it. ;s

I think that's more for competition than for workout :2

emopunker2004
05-02-2012, 12:39 AM
Dave whatever you do, eat at least 1200 calories/day. Get below that and your metabolism will start shutting down.

Blak Smyth
05-02-2012, 06:29 AM
Taki and I are going to start riding bikes everyday to get our heart rate up and then complete a workout. This is in writing now Taki, so we have to follow through now!!! Dave if you can find a "team mate" to keep you motivated it really helps as well.

Here is a thought, somebody should start a "contest" thread for health purposes and motivation. Something like this:

Everybody posts their workout routine/schedule before getting started.
If you fail to meet a scheduled workout you owe the pot a cigar.
At the end of 6 months (Or whatever time frame is set) everybody who missed workouts sends their penalty sticks the the person who missed the least days. In the event of a tie, the person with the more aggresive workout schedule wins.

I think this would be a cool concept, maybe tweak it a little though but it is an idea.

Dave128
05-02-2012, 08:41 AM
Dave whatever you do, eat at least 1200 calories/day. Get below that and your metabolism will start shutting down.

Rest assured that 1200 calories/day is not a problem for me! :tu

Whee
05-02-2012, 08:43 AM
I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but give a visit to the doctor before you jump in too far. Important to see where you are and what you body can handle now.

Dave128
05-02-2012, 08:45 AM
That's a good idea. Thank you.

hammondc
05-30-2012, 08:10 PM
Checking in, Dave....hows the motivation going?

Dave128
05-31-2012, 07:48 PM
It's going. Thanks for asking. It hasn't been easy, but I've been feeling much better.

emopunker2004
06-03-2012, 11:10 PM
Well dave, I've lost 13 pounds since I started. From 241 down to 228

emopunker2004
06-30-2012, 02:58 PM
How are you coming along Dave? I'm down another 10 pounds to 218

Dave128
07-02-2012, 09:02 AM
It's going very slow. Only 10 pounds so far.

emopunker2004
07-03-2012, 08:42 AM
Hey 10lbs is better than nothing brother! :tu
Keep it up!

Dave128
07-03-2012, 07:38 PM
True and thank you!

Mugen910
07-03-2012, 09:06 PM
Anybody have any advice on how to get me re-motivated?

You just have to want to lose the weight.

People can motivate you and help you on your course but in the end you need to want to do it. Only because at the end of the day you are the one losing the weight. Please take this with a grain of salt but if you don't want to lose the weight, eventually your body will want you to; you won't like the way it tells you.

Best of luck on your journey. Consult a doctor before trying anything too high strenuous, and find a goal.

emopunker2004
07-04-2012, 07:08 AM
Here's how I got motivated, I just looked at myself and said, I don't want to be fat anymore. Plus my wife's hot and while I'll never be good enough I can at least not be fat for her. :r