PDA

View Full Version : LSU Quiddich.....?

OLS
04-17-2012, 10:50 AM
OK, so I am not informed on what the cool kids are doing these days, BUT I got an email from college district
asking me to rate a new shirt that I am assuming will be sold later if people like it enough....LSU QUIDDICH.
I of course laughed, they make all kinds of weird shirts for weird fans. But my sister said I WANT ONE,
and I thought, wait, what?? So since guugle is your friend, I came up with this disturbing collection of links.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73oegTEL8FU

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rachel859/collections/72157629826914403/

I PLAY QUIDDICH!!..............................Of COURSE you do.

http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae23/JAMpromotionsMKTG/quiddich2.jpg

I PLAY QUIDDICH!! Hey baby, ME TOO! Is that broom between your legs or are you just naturally hot, my little indian bravelet?

http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae23/JAMpromotionsMKTG/quiddich.jpg

OLS
04-17-2012, 10:57 AM
TOO FAR??? You can NEVER go TOO FAR.....

http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae23/JAMpromotionsMKTG/quiddich3.jpg

Stephen
04-17-2012, 11:03 AM
http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae23/JAMpromotionsMKTG/quiddich3.jpg
Seems she borrowed that hat from my ex-wife.

mariogolbee
04-17-2012, 11:07 AM
I remember seeing signs for Quiddich at San Jose State University. I also found a video for the Quiddich World Cup (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou4LQlP88ZI&feature=related).

Jefft72
04-17-2012, 11:13 AM
Wow, I thought it was some sort of humor shirt, but then saw the video.

Really? This is something that is done on an organized level? SMH.

DaBear
04-17-2012, 11:17 AM
Yea, we have a club here at NC State. We're supposedly good at it. I think the gem of the whole game, as it was explained to me, is they get a guy to dress up in all gold skin tight clothes to play the 'snitch,' which if any of y'all read the books, you have to catch in order to end the game. :r

Blak Smyth
04-17-2012, 11:23 AM
I think the brooms are dumb. My opinion and observation.
The only purpose on the broom is to fly on right?
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSK31PPoafRSg058cDobToK6FodXBNr7 lDvSMYgInz_g6FGj-K2

I guess if it makes you happy, do it... I guess.

mbraud4
04-17-2012, 11:25 AM
I can verify I see these tools running around campus on brooms @ LSU...SMH

Jefft72
04-17-2012, 11:36 AM
LOL. May I be so bold as to rate it this way:
LARP < Quiddich < Disc Golf ?

To be fair I have never participated in any of the above activities and will claim ignorance of all.

Blak Smyth
04-17-2012, 11:57 AM
LOL. May I be so bold as to rate it this way:
LARP < Quiddich < Disc Golf ?

To be fair I have never participated in any of the above activities and will claim ignorance of all.

I have actually played disc golf and it is fun and challenging without any unessecary equipment such as a broom :r
There are a few really nice courses in the woods here in PA. But I always get into poison so I stopped playing.
Only run into a few hippies :r

Pseudosacred
04-17-2012, 12:05 PM
Looks as if this game was invented at a school for "special" kids.

Harry Potter was always stupid to me, though. So I'm super biased.

But, come on...it doesn't get much more stupid

Jefft72
04-17-2012, 12:06 PM
Perhaps my use of disc golf was a bit half-cocked, but it was the first thing that came to mind when I needed a third for my comment.

I had plenty of chances while I lived in Austin, but never took the opportunity.

Blak Smyth
04-17-2012, 12:08 PM
Perhaps my use of disc golf was a bit half-cocked, but it was the first thing that came to mind when I needed a third for my comment.

I had plenty of chances while I lived in Austin, but never took the opportunity.

I think it was a good reference, but it is fun. I had to research what LARP was though :r
I used to think disc golf was for hippes until I gave it a go with some friends and then my competitive side took over.
As for this quiddich thing though, I would have been able to at least think about it as a game if there wasn't any brooms. Or if you had to sweep something during the game. The ump in a baseball game has a little broom in his pocket for dusting the plate, he should have to hold a broom between his legs.

Stephen
04-17-2012, 12:30 PM
I think it was a good reference, but it is fun. I had to research what LARP was though :r
I used to think disc golf was for hippes until I gave it a go with some friends and then my competitive side took over.
As for this quiddich thing though, I would have been able to at least think about it as a game if there wasn't any brooms. Or if you had to sweep something during the game. The ump in a baseball game has a little broom in his pocket for dusting the plate, he should have to hold a broom between his legs.
Where would he place his head then?:sh

Blak Smyth
04-17-2012, 12:39 PM
Where would he place his head then?:sh

Bahahahah

mariogolbee
04-17-2012, 12:43 PM
Devil's advocate reply. Disc golf, freestyle frisbee, quiddich, etc., all look lame if you are not playing them. I've never played either, but each of these sports has obviously gained momentum and become loved by many.

As far as the broom goes, I agree, they kind of look lame. However, they do add a mechanic to the game. They don't just have the broom in between their legs. They are also holding it with one hand. This limits their ability to catch and hinders movement to some degree. Many sports have some sort of limiting mechanic such as this. Besides, one team in one of those videos didn't use brooms. They just used varnished wooden poles. I'm sure they didn't want to trudge around on cheap-azz brooms, but still use the mechanic. The varnished wooden poles are shorter and don't look quite so cheesy, If they didn't have brooms or poles would it still be quiddich?

The game does look cheesy, but I'll bet you an Opus it's a chitload of fun when you're out there doing it. It also can't hurt to have one more way for folks to get into sports with the obesity epidemic we have here in the US. I know I should get off my azz right now and go play...something.

Blak Smyth
04-17-2012, 12:46 PM
If they didn't have brooms or poles would it still be quiddich?

Personally I think if they don't fly, it isn't quiddich. I also considered the element of only having one hand available during play but they should just put it in their pocket or wear a mitten:D

mariogolbee
04-17-2012, 12:55 PM
Personally I think if they don't fly, it isn't quiddich. I also considered the element of only having one hand available during play but they should just put it in their pocket or wear a mitten:D
If they had it in a pocket that would be much lamer. With a mitten the hand could still be used to some degree. Neither of these methods, or any similar ones, would hinder movement. If it wasn't for the broom the snitch would be toast withing a few minutes.

Not flying doesn't change the fact that folks from my LSU to Harvard are digging this and playing it as best as physically possible. Hell, a quiddich enthusiast engineering student might even invent some sort of flying broom.

Blak Smyth
04-17-2012, 12:57 PM
Hell, a quiddich enthusiast engineering student might even invent some sort of flying broom.

And then it would be quiddich! And I might try to play :r!

mariogolbee
04-17-2012, 12:59 PM
And then it would be quiddich!
:r A bird without wings is still a bird, no?

Blak Smyth
04-17-2012, 01:02 PM
:r A bird without wings is still a bird, no?

A lizard without legs is a snake :sh

mariogolbee
04-17-2012, 01:05 PM
:r No, a lizard without legs is lizard without legs. Similarly, a snake with legs is just a snake with legs, which is kind of odd. A tree-climbing-human with exceptional hair growth is not an ape.

TanithT
04-17-2012, 01:07 PM
I think it was a good reference, but it is fun. I had to research what LARP was though

I'm an out and proud gamer, and for me larping is the best way to get my exercise and my geek on at the same time. Whacking people with boffer swords is fun. I used to fight in the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) and may pick that up again at some point.

Quiddich, though....naah. Not for me. Though chasing a hot guy in gold tights does sound amusing. What do I get to do with him if I catch him? :banger

Jefft72
04-17-2012, 01:10 PM
I love the mix of folks present on this forum!

I'm an out and proud gamer, and for me larping is the best way to get my exercise and my geek on at the same time. Whacking people with boffer swords is fun. I used to fight in the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) and may pick that up again at some point.

Quiddich, though....naah. Not for me. Though chasing a hot guy in gold tights does sound amusing. What do I get to do with him if I catch him? :banger

Blak Smyth
04-17-2012, 01:19 PM

Hey to each their own, I just have an issue with the broom :r

I love the mix of folks present on this forum!

x2

A tree-climbing-human with exceptional hair growth is not an ape.

Or is it? No it's not damn, you win. A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut!

If they had it in a pocket that would be much lamer. With a mitten the hand could still be used to some degree. Neither of these methods, or any similar ones, would hinder movement. If it wasn't for the broom the snitch would be toast withing a few minutes.

They could wear a mitten with a belt loop, wear a limited edition quiddich belt that includes a spells pouch included and other nesscesary accesories.

The Poet
04-17-2012, 01:25 PM
Imprimis, I find the idea of college kids playing quiddich no odder than previous generations of them playing 43 Man Squamish.

Secondus, with schools like LSU, Baylor, and Texas Tech involved, it won't be long before the NCAA investigates for sorting-hat violations. :D

Pseudosacred
04-17-2012, 01:28 PM
a snake with legs is just a snake with legs, which is kind of odd.

A snake with legs is a skink ;)

Pseudosacred
04-17-2012, 01:32 PM
A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut!

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

:tu

Stephen
04-17-2012, 01:37 PM
When will the Hunger Games be starting up on some of these campuses?

Powers
04-17-2012, 01:42 PM
I'm sure you're dying to know who is by far the best Quidditch team in the SEC, Brad?? You guessed it: the Florida Gators :D

Gators came in second place for the 2011 Quidditch World Cup :tu

http://www.alligator.org/news/campus/article_3dd433c2-0f60-11e1-90f8-001cc4c03286.html

DaBear
04-17-2012, 01:45 PM
Imprimis, I find the idea of college kids playing quiddich no odder than previous generations of them playing 43 Man Squamish.

Secondus, with schools like LSU, Baylor, and Texas Tech involved, it won't be long before the NCAA investigates for sorting-hat violations. :D

Its only a matter of time before the likes of Kentucky and Miami start up squads :r

Subvet642
04-17-2012, 01:51 PM

What if two swallows grab it by the husk?

mariogolbee
04-17-2012, 01:54 PM

They could wear a mitten with a belt loop, wear a limited edition quiddich belt that includes a spells pouch included and other nesscesary accesories.
Listen. In order to maintain air-speed velocity, a swallow needs to beat its wings forty-three times every second, right?

The belt sounds cool. It could even be yellow and come with a grappling hook.
A snake with legs is a skink ;)
Nope. It is a skink. Funny looking little things.
When will the Hunger Games be starting up on some of these campuses?
Not sure, but zombies is an interesting one to be sure.

Wanger
04-18-2012, 09:15 AM

Nope:
http://kaweahoaks.com/html/lizard_legless.jpg

Its only a matter of time before the likes of Kentucky and Miami start up squads :r

I'd love to see the Miami women's team uniforms. :p

OLS
06-22-2012, 07:53 AM
I'm sure you're dying to know who is by far the best Quidditch team in the SEC, Brad?? You guessed it: the Florida Gators :D

Long as it's not FU(&ING Alabama.

GreekGodX
06-22-2012, 08:15 AM
My guess is none of them get drug tested ;)

timj219
06-22-2012, 08:26 AM
I could only play that game if I still smoked pot. And it would have to be some pretty good ****.

cjhalbrooks
06-22-2012, 09:00 AM
I will pass. I told my wife who love the movies and books. She gave me a look of wtf and a very stren um no