PDA

View Full Version : Hygrometer Reaction Time

IlmProcess
04-16-2012, 03:44 PM
Hello everyone,

So my little Capri is filling up. I am considering purchasing one more (or maybe something slighlty larger) for "overflow." ;)

Anyway, I'm trying to keep costs low and am wondering if I can get away with moving my digi hygrometer (from heartfelt) from one to the other to check in on the rh.

I used to run heartfelt beads in a couple of humis I had in the past and am doing the same in the Capri now and I remember rarely having to adjust for rh problems. Point is, I trust the beads so that I won't need constant rh readings.

So I'm wondering how quickly a digi hygrometer and re-read rh levels.

OR

Maybe this is a stupid idea altogether.

Thanks for any help

NCRadioMan
04-16-2012, 03:46 PM
No problem with that, I have done it often. Give it 20-30 minutes to be safe and fully register.

:2

shopkins82
04-17-2012, 07:33 AM
It may depend on the hygrometer as well. My cheap-o Chinese eBay hygro is accurate +2 (i.e. reads 77, actually 75) but cant take 1-2 hours to register the true RH, especially if it's been at "room humidity" (around 50 in my house) and then placed into a humidor.

deaster25
04-17-2012, 10:44 AM
Did you calibrate the hygrometer?

markem
04-17-2012, 10:59 AM
Whether the hydrometer is calibrated or not, the main thing you want to know is "what is the relative difference between the locations, if any". Most hydrometers will settle down pretty quickly, especially since you hope to be measuring numbers in more or less the same relative range. What I used to do when I had vinotemps what to move the hydrometers weekly in a cycle through all three. Remember that it isn't necessary that the hydrometer be absolutely accurate. As long as it is consistent and relatively close, you are good to go. What you care about is at what reading of your hydrometer do your sticks smoke best. You also care about when it starts to fluctuate, of course. If I set my aristocrat at 60%, then the bottom of my cabinet reads 61% and the top (where the sensor is located) reads 57% (it's a tall cabinet). That's what works for me and so as long as it is steady, I don't worry.

I prefer the remote "weather station" type systems that slave multiple readers to one display that can be outside the unit. Startup costs are a little higher, but the overall ease of use is, IMO, worth it.

Drop "wireless humidity sensor" in to the Amazon search bar and you will see quite a few options.

IlmProcess
04-21-2012, 02:57 PM
Thank you everyone

688sonarmen
04-21-2012, 03:03 PM
You should also consider what the recovery time of your humidors are, IE after you open and close the humidor how long it will take to return to the RH it was before you opened it.